Reportsmith/Paradox Encrypted files problem

I've got some files I don't want anyone to be able to mess with.... so I
just encrypted them in paradox with a password..... how the )!#( do I
tell ReportSmith what the password is so that I can keep it a secret from
the users?????

Re:Reportsmith/Paradox Encrypted files problem

In article <3uoqik$...@news.cencom.net> ka9...@cencom.net (Mike Warot) writes:
>From: ka9...@cencom.net (Mike Warot)
>Subject: Reportsmith/Paradox Encrypted files problem
>Date: 21 Jul 1995 18:10:28 GMT
>I've got some files I don't want anyone to be able to mess with.... so I
>just encrypted them in paradox with a password..... how the )!#( do I
>tell ReportSmith what the password is so that I can keep it a secret from
>the users?????

You need to set up a 'report macro' that will enter the password each time the
report is ran.  Note that anyone accessing the report will get it.  'Link' the
macro to the event 'Before open Report'.

This is my macro that access three paradox tables that are encrypted with the
same password (OpenNow).
Sub psword1()
Connect 61,"","","OpenNow","sample.db"
Connect 61,"","","OpenNow","refnbr.db"
Connect 61,"","","OpenNow","phonenbr.db"
End Sub

Jeff J
No cute drawings or funny quotes - Just me.

je...@decisionsys.com

Re:Reportsmith/Paradox Encrypted files problem

In article <jeffj.26.00087...@decisionsys.com>,

Jeff Jacobson <je...@decisionsys.com> wrote:
>In article <3uoqik$...@news.cencom.net> ka9...@cencom.net (Mike Warot) writes:
>>From: ka9...@cencom.net (Mike Warot)
>>Subject: Reportsmith/Paradox Encrypted files problem
>>Date: 21 Jul 1995 18:10:28 GMT

>>I've got some files I don't want anyone to be able to mess with.... so I
>>just encrypted them in paradox with a password..... how the )!#( do I
>>tell ReportSmith what the password is so that I can keep it a secret from
>>the users?????

>You need to set up a 'report macro' that will enter the password each time the
>report is ran.  Note that anyone accessing the report will get it.  'Link' the
>macro to the event 'Before open Report'.

>This is my macro that access three paradox tables that are encrypted with the
>same password (OpenNow).
>Sub psword1()
>Connect 61,"","","OpenNow","sample.db"
>Connect 61,"","","OpenNow","refnbr.db"
>Connect 61,"","","OpenNow","phonenbr.db"
>End Sub

>Jeff J
>No cute drawings or funny quotes - Just me.

>je...@decisionsys.com

THIS IS NOT THE WAY TO DO IT!!!!!!!!!!
If you take a editor and load in the report file you
will find you macro in there in plain ascii, so
somebody can just read the password.  When I said
editor I meant somthing capable of reading binary files.

Marshall Watts
wa...@primenet.com

Re:Reportsmith/Paradox Encrypted files problem

In article <3v6853$...@net.auckland.ac.nz>,

Richard Vowles <r.vow...@auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
>Marshall Watts (wa...@Primenet.Com) wrote:
>: >Sub psword1()
>: >Connect 61,"","","OpenNow","sample.db"
>: >Connect 61,"","","OpenNow","refnbr.db"
>: >Connect 61,"","","OpenNow","phonenbr.db"
>: >End Sub
>: >
>: >Jeff J
>: >---------------------------------------------------------------------
>: >No cute drawings or funny quotes - Just me.
>: >
>: >je...@decisionsys.com

>: THIS IS NOT THE WAY TO DO IT!!!!!!!!!!
>: If you take a editor and load in the report file you
>: will find you macro in there in plain ascii, so
>: somebody can just read the password.  When I said
>: editor I meant somthing capable of reading binary files.

>I suggest then, a modified version of the same thing, but stick it
>in your Delphi app (if you have one), and do the same thing via
>DDE. I do this for my Interbase app.

Any ascii strings such as "the password" will be in your Delphi
app (exe) as well.  You must build the text string and not
just use a string between quotes.

Marshall Watts
wa...@primenet.com

Other Threads