Installing BDE with Install Shield 5.1

I'm forced to use Install Shield 5.1 to create an installation for my
program. It is a certified installer and I did a whole lot of cutting and
pasting from the BDE 4.51 template (my computer has BDE5). But the template
doesn't include BANTAM.DLL which is part of the BDE and required by my
program. There's also a file group called 'BDE BLL Files' with some .bll
files.

If BANTAM.DLL is required, why is it not included in the BDE template in a
certified installer???

Are the .bll-files the same as the .cvb and .btl files on my computer with
BDE5?

Kristoffer (not an Install Shield fan)

Re:Installing BDE with Install Shield 5.1

Why are  you forced?
Kristoffer Persson wrote:

> I'm forced to use Install Shield 5.1 to create an installation for my
> program.

Re:Installing BDE with Install Shield 5.1

Hi I just went to youseful(www.youseful.com) to check if we have it (see
below at bottom) and looks like we do. hmm We are not certified so it must
not work by fiat. while installshield does if you wish really hard.
 joe mele

www.youseful.com
 supp...@youseful.com
see you at Borcon 2000

procedure TBDE50FileSet.AddBLLFiles;
var
  R: TysflRegistry;
  BLAPIPath: String;
  F: TSearchRec;
begin
  R := TysflRegistry.Create;
  try
    R.RootKey := HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE;
    if not R.OpenKey('\Software\Borland\BLW32',False) then raise
IEInstallBDE.Create(SBLLSNotInRegistry);
    try
      BLAPIPath := R.ReadString('BLAPIPATH');
    except
      raise IEInstallBDE.Create(SBLLSNotInRegistry);
    end;
    if BLAPIPath = '' then raise IEInstallBDE.Create(SBLLSNotInRegistry);
    if not DirectoryExists(BLAPIPath) then raise
IEInstallBDE.Create(SBLLSNotInRegistry);
    { Search the directory for all BTL files
    if FindFirst(DirectoryWBS(BLAPIPath) + '*.BTL',faAnyFile,F) = 0 then
      try AddFile(F.Name,TpsContainerDestDir) except end;
    while (FindNext(F) = 0) do
      try AddFile(F.Name,TpsContainerDestDir) except end;
    FindClose(F);}
    try AddFile(DirectoryWBS(BLAPIPath)+'ceeurope.btl',TpsContainerDestDir)
except end;
    try AddFile(DirectoryWBS(BLAPIPath)+'europe.btl',TpsContainerDestDir)
except end;
    try AddFile(DirectoryWBS(BLAPIPath)+'fareast.btl',TpsContainerDestDir)
except end;
    try AddFile(DirectoryWBS(BLAPIPath)+'japan.btl',TpsContainerDestDir)
except end;
    try AddFile(DirectoryWBS(BLAPIPath)+'other.btl',TpsContainerDestDir)
except end;
    try AddFile(DirectoryWBS(BLAPIPath)+'usa.btl',TpsContainerDestDir)
except end;
    { Add the CHARSET.CVB file }
    try AddFile(DirectoryWBS(BLAPIPath)+'charset.cvb',TpsContainerDestDir)
except end;
    { Add the BANTAM.DLL file }
    try AddFile(DirectoryWBS(BLAPIPath)+'bantam.dll',TpsContainerDestDir)
except end;//<<-------!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  finally
    R.Free;

Re:Installing BDE with Install Shield 5.1

I'm forced to use it because my program is kind of an accessory program to
another program. The other program is installed with IS5.1 so my boss told
me to use IS5.1 for my program also. You know - so we have a "standard
procedure" or something. The problem is that IS5.1 is old and bad, but it's
the only licence we've got.

Kristoffer

On Wed, 5 Jul 2000 10:43:17 +0200, "Kristoffer Persson" <no.spam@nospam>
wrote:

>I'm forced to use Install Shield 5.1 to create an installation for my
>program. It is a certified installer and I did a whole lot of cutting and
>pasting from the BDE 4.51 template (my computer has BDE5). But the template
>doesn't include BANTAM.DLL which is part of the BDE and required by my
>program. There's also a file group called 'BDE BLL Files' with some .bll
>files.

As you state,  IS Professional v5.1 is a little on the old side,  and at
that time,  BDE v4.5x was current,  it just isn't any longer...

IIRC,  Borland has a Tech Doc,  or FAQ on their Web pages for the BDE which
discusses the changes you need to make to a BDE v4.5x installation script
to install BDE v5.  You should be able to get all of the information you
need from that doc...

Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB)
--
http://www.teamb.com                                      JersW...@wwa.com
Please do *NOT* send private e-mail without prior permission (my anti-spam

Re:Installing BDE with Install Shield 5.1

In article <5abamsca66k5vjn44n2cn97gd7s5ene...@4ax.com>, JersW...@wwa.com

(Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB)) wrote:
> IIRC,  Borland has a Tech Doc,  or FAQ on their Web pages for the BDE
> which
> discusses the changes you need to make to a BDE v4.5x installation
> script
> to install BDE v5.  You should be able to get all of the information you
> need from that doc...

Can you or anyone track down the URL for the document? I've tried trawling
through all these sections on the community site, but found nothing.

It seems that only the most recent 100 TI's and FAQ's are held in these
days of HTML-delivered database content.

Which rather defeats the purpose of the term "FAQ" really - how can the
single most recent new request be frequently asked?? That's good ol'
Borland for you.

Trevor

Re:Installing BDE with Install Shield 5.1

Kristoffer,
> I'm forced to use Install Shield 5.1 to create an installation for my
> program. It is a certified installer and I did a whole lot of cutting and
> pasting from the BDE 4.51 template (my computer has BDE5). But the template

Where did you get the information that the BDE template is certified?
That's an information I look for a long long time.

Martin Golm
Reico GmbH

Reico GmbH <Entwickl...@reico.de> wrote in message

> Kristoffer,

> Where did you get the information that the BDE template is certified?
> That's an information I look for a long long time.

> Martin Golm
> Reico GmbH

Actually I just assumed it. I looked in BDEDEPLOY.TXT which says that
Install Shield Express is a certified installer. The text also refers to
http://www.inprise.com/devsupport/delphi/devcorner/certinst.html but there's
only a list of certified installation programs for Delphi 2.0...

Kristoffer

Kristoffer Persson schrieb:

> Actually I just assumed it. I looked in BDEDEPLOY.TXT which says that
> Install Shield Express is a certified installer. The text also refers to
> http://www.inprise.com/devsupport/delphi/devcorner/certinst.html but there's
> only a list of certified installation programs for Delphi 2.0...

I wouldn't call that up to date neither. Is there anybody else (Borland,
TeamB) who can provide some more information?

Thanks,

Martin Golm
Reico GmbH

Re:Installing BDE with Install Shield 5.1

Borland has continues to work with the companies already certified to re certify
their install scripts like Wise and Install Shield on new versions of the BDE.
They are not certifying new installation scripts/programs.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
  (Please do not email me directly unless asked.  Thank You)

Re:Installing BDE with Install Shield 5.1

> Borland has continues to work with the companies already certified to re certify
> their install scripts like Wise and Install Shield on new versions of the BDE.
> They are not certifying new installation scripts/programs.

Jeff,
so the BDE template for IS5 is not certified, but ISX is? I can't
believe that the same installation algorithm can't be used within two or
more products of a single company.

Martin Golm
Reico GmbH

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000 06:13 +0100 (BST), s...@msn.com (Trevor Toms) wrote:
>Can you or anyone track down the URL for the document? I've tried trawling
>through all these sections on the community site, but found nothing.

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you,  but the information you are
looking for is included in the link:
which talks about the "merge failure" issue...

Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB)
--
http://www.teamb.com                                      JersW...@wwa.com
Please do *NOT* send private e-mail without prior permission (my anti-spam
filters will probably just delete it anyway <g>)

Re:Installing BDE with Install Shield 5.1

Thanks Jerry.

Trevor

In article <5p36os4bc4jda5vn0jl6fi9ne6a9pa4...@4ax.com>, JersW...@wwa.com

(Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB)) wrote:
> Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you,  but the information you
> are
> looking for is included in the link:
>    http://community.borland.com/article/0,1410,18727,00.html
> which talks about the "merge failure" issue...

Other Threads