Better using TTABLE or TQUERY in Database Application ?

If you're using Paradox or dBase tables, TTable will be *much* faster.  The
reverse is true if you're using a SQL RDBMS.

Paul / ColumbuSoft
www.columbusoft.com

Steven Hui <stv...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Hello to you,
> I'm using delphi 5

> Better using TTable or TQuery in Database Application
> What its advantage and disavantage bettween this ?

> Please advice

> steven

Re:Better using TTABLE or TQUERY in Database Application ?

In client/server situations, particularly when using MS SQL Server
*version 7.0*, the BDE driver might issue some now-expensive queries to
obtain table field information.  This query is issued only for TTables.

>Steven Hui wrote:

> Hello to you,
> I'm using delphi 5

> Better using TTable or TQuery in Database Application
> What its advantage and disavantage bettween this ?

Re:Better using TTABLE or TQUERY in Database Application ?

When you ask questions in one of the database newsgroups _please_ tell us
what database you are using. It almost always makes a difference.

--
Bill

Re:Better using TTABLE or TQUERY in Database Application ?

Hello to you,
I'm using delphi 5

Better using TTable or TQuery in Database Application
What its advantage and disavantage bettween this ?

Please advice

steven

Re:Better using TTABLE or TQUERY in Database Application ?

What if you are sharing Paradox tables through a network? Is using TTable
still faster?

Regards
Alva Chew

Paul Ferrara <p...@nospam.columbusoft.com> wrote in message

> If you're using Paradox or dBase tables, TTable will be *much* faster.
The
> reverse is true if you're using a SQL RDBMS.

> Paul / ColumbuSoft
> www.columbusoft.com

> Steven Hui <stv...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hello to you,
> > I'm using delphi 5

> > Better using TTable or TQuery in Database Application
> > What its advantage and disavantage bettween this ?

> > Please advice

> > steven

Re:Better using TTABLE or TQUERY in Database Application ?

Yes. TTables are always faster with Paradox tables.

--
Bill

Re:Better using TTABLE or TQUERY in Database Application ?

How much faster would that be? Is it going to be significant if the number
of records that my application moves through the network averages around 500
in one transaction?

Bill Todd (TeamB) <b...@nospamdbginc.com> wrote in message

> Yes. TTables are always faster with Paradox tables.

> --
> Bill

Re:Better using TTABLE or TQUERY in Database Application ?

Paradox transactions are limited to 255 records. The only way to determine
how much faster using a TTable would be is to test it. The difference is
going to depend on what kind of changes you are making. The Paradox table
architecture is optimized for navigational access and the query processor
has very very limited optimization capabilities so TTables are faster for
almost everything.

--
Bill

Other Threads