How to use Version number in TLB editor?

Hi,

Could someone outline how to use the version number in the TLB editor?

What effect will I see for programs which call (via dispatch interface)
my server, if I change the version number? Do I need to keep multiple
servers around, one that knows how to handle each version of an
interface that has been posted??

Basically my problem is that I've designed a class of server objects,
and now I want to move several methods from a parent class into a child
class. It's ok if calls to the old parent interface methods fail, since
I have control over all the clients as well.

I know I could just move them, but I figured that version number stuff
must be in there for some reason. Can anyone tell me why?

Thanks for any help.

Steve Midgley

Re:How to use Version number in TLB editor?

This isn't an answer, but more questions along the same lines! I was
going to post a similar question about version numbers..

I want to know what the standard method is to release updated
interfaces. All the documentation says how easy it is to update
objects by providing new versions of the interfaces but still
supporting the old so older clients still work. But it doesn't say
anywhere (that I have seen) what the standard approach is?! I'd like
to say have two versions of IMyInterface and have the correct verion
interface returned to me. In Delphi, can I do this having them both
called IMyInterface or, when I update one, do I have do call it
something else like IMyInterfaceV2..? Or as Steve's question is
asking, can I use the version numbers somehow to return the correct
one?

Thanks

David Shaw

Steve Midgley wrote in message

<350D9D4D.1F508A57@abomb_anti-spam.com>...
>Hi,

>Could someone outline how to use the version number in the TLB
editor?

>What effect will I see for programs which call (via dispatch
interface)
>my server, if I change the version number? Do I need to keep multiple
>servers around, one that knows how to handle each version of an
>interface that has been posted??

>Basically my problem is that I've designed a class of server objects,
>and now I want to move several methods from a parent class into a
child
>class. It's ok if calls to the old parent interface methods fail,
since
>I have control over all the clients as well.

>I know I could just move them, but I figured that version number
stuff
>must be in there for some reason. Can anyone tell me why?

>Thanks for any help.

>Steve Midgley

Other Threads