Q: International characters conversion

I am having troubles inserting records with fields containing
international characters. I'm using a MS SQL driver with an
International language driver, yet some characters are still being
converted. I'm curious if there is something I'm missing or not doing,
or if it's just some sort of bug with the BDE. I've tried many different
language drivers and alternative solutions (DBI calls, etc..).
An comments or suggestion will be welcome. Please respond through email
(s...@recruiter.on.ca).
Thanks in advance

Sean

--Here is a sample of the code and the results:
    Table1.FieldByName('ITEM_TEXT').AsString :=

   ... would be translated to 'AAAA????EEEIIIID?OOOOO?d???o?yp?'