Using Delphi/Foxpro together- advice needed?

I am writing an interface in delphi that will access and read/write
foxpro 2.6 data files. What special considerations do I need to take. eg

for data types, code page etc. Do I need to use BCD or not etc etc. Any
light on these matters or any that is related greatly appreciated.

Re:Using Delphi/Foxpro together- advice needed?

On Fri, 19 Nov 1999 16:30:55 +0000, Sam Amey-Jones <S...@NoSpam.com>
wrote:

>I am writing an interface in delphi that will access and read/write
>foxpro 2.6 data files. What special considerations do I need to take. eg
>for data types, code page etc. Do I need to use BCD or not etc etc. Any
>light on these matters or any that is related greatly appreciated.

You don't need to use BCD.  No special considerations for data types
and code pages except that strings are a lot easier to use in index
expressions than any other data type.

Important, however, is that the 5.x BDE driver appears to have a bug
handling some indexes, which results in a terrible slowdown.  This is
mostly seen in queries, but ranges do suffer the same problem in a
sense.  So the more stable BDE version would be 4.51 but this
automatically means that you're limited to using Delphi 3 (or older).
When you search deja.com on "Problem with FoxPro index on a DBase
table" for messages in october on this NG, you'll find more
information on this.

Also, Delphi's support for expression indexes is not great, but there
are ways to solve this.

HTH,

Jan

Other Threads