Can I turn 26 line mode to 50 line mode

I need a pascal source that (in text mode) will make 50 lines per screen
instead of the usual 26. Is this possible? If anyone can send me the
source code <a href = "mailto:lre...@scu.edu.au(e-mail appreciated)</a>,
even if it is assembler I will be extremely grateful.
Sam Regan {a 16 year old kid trying to make it in a 30 year old man's
domain}

Re:Can I turn 26 line mode to 50 line mode

In article <4lpdh3$...@axis.scu.edu.au> <lre...@scu.edu.au> writes:
>I need a pascal source that (in text mode) will make 50 lines per screen
>instead of the usual 26. Is this possible? If anyone can send me the
>source code <a href = "mailto:lre...@scu.edu.au(e-mail appreciated)</a>,
>even if it is assembler I will be extremely grateful.

Minor point:  It's 25 lines, not 26.

Try this:

program lines50;

uses
  crt;

begin
  textmode (co80 or Font8x8);
end.

Not too difficult.  BTW, on EGA, this changes to 43 lines.

--
Scott F. Earnest           | We now return you to our regularly scheduled
sc...@whiplash.res.cmu.edu | chaos and mayhem. . . .

In article <4lpdh3$...@axis.scu.edu.au>,  <lre...@scu.edu.au> wrote:

:I need a pascal source that (in text mode) will make 50 lines per screen
:instead of the usual 26. Is this possible? If anyone can send me the

As so often, covered in our

 96535 Mar 30 20:19 ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/link/tsfaqp.zip
 tsfaqp.zip Common Turbo Pascal Questions and Timo's answers

   All the best, Timo

t...@uwasa.fi http://uwasa.fi/~ts BBS 961-3170972; FIN-65101,  Finland

Re:Can I turn 26 line mode to 50 line mode

It is quite easy to initialize a 43/50 line text mode.

Just add 256 (100h) to the wanted screen mode when using the TEXTMODE
peocedure.

Jan H. Hviid                            Phone : (45) 39 27 22 33, ext. 5712
Danish Defence Research Establishment   Fax   : (45) 31 20 33 15
Ryvangs Alle 1,  P.O box 2715           Email : j...@ddre.dk
DK - 2100 Copenhagen O.
Denmark

On 26 Apr 1996 lre...@scu.edu.au wrote:

> I need a pascal source that (in text mode) will make 50 lines per screen
> instead of the usual 26. Is this possible? If anyone can send me the
> source code <a href = "mailto:lre...@scu.edu.au(e-mail appreciated)</a>,
> even if it is assembler I will be extremely grateful.
> Sam Regan {a 16 year old kid trying to make it in a 30 year old man's
> domain}

Re:Can I turn 26 line mode to 50 line mode

Here's how to do it without using that {*word*81} CRT unit:

   procedure set_50_lines; assembler;
   asm
      mov ax, $1112
      mov bx, $0000
      int 10h
Todd Fiske, Portland Maine | tfi...@delphi.com | 70451.1...@compuserve.com

Re:Can I turn 26 line mode to 50 line mode

In email, Dr John Stockton <j...@merlyn.demon.co.uk> says:
 > Now a follow-up explaining how one's program can get back to 25-line
 > mode would be nice...

Gee, normally, I would be happy to provide something like this just
for the asking, go into lots of detail about the solution, and related
topics, but your post struck me as being quite demanding. Maybe a
statement of the form "Now X would be nice..." contains an implicit
Please and Thank You to a british ear, but I sure don't find it.

Anyway:

   procedure set_25_lines; assembler;
   asm
      mov ax, $1114
      mov bx, $0000
      int 10h
   end;

Interrupt 10h is the Video BIOS Interface. Function 11h is the
Character Generator Interface. Subfunctions 10h through 14h load the
various alphanumeric character definitions (fonts) and also reprogram
the CRT Controller. 10h: user-defined; 11h: 8x14 font; 12h: 8x8 font;
13h: there is no subfunction 13h; 14h: 8x16 font.

For further information, you should go out and buy Richard Wilton's
"Programmer's Guide to PC & PS/2 Video Systems", or Gerladine
Ferraro's "Politician's Guide to Making It Big in the Media" - woops,
wrong Ferraro - make that Richard Ferraro's "Programmer's Guide to the
EGA and VGA Cards", or Ralf Brown's Interrupt List, or Peter Norton's
"PC Programmer's Bible" (or words to that effect), or all of the
above.

Wilton: 1-55615-103-9; Ferraro: 0-201-57025-4; Norton's is at work,
don't have the number; Ralf Brown's is ubiquitous, go get it.

Dr. Stockton also mentioned that the two-hyphen separator before my
sig needs to be followed by a space. Is this correct? What programs
care about this? My editor eats trailing white space, so following
this convention will be troublesome at best. Are there any other
similar conventions? How much does it matter? Information from both
points on the spectrum will be greatly appreciated.
--
Todd Fiske     | "Judging by popular example, there's no saying
Portland Maine | so stupid it can't be used as a sig." -- Niawt

Re:Can I turn 26 line mode to 50 line mode

In article <19960508.010335.tfnr.tfi...@delphi.com> in
comp.lang.pascal.borland, Todd Fiske <tfi...@delphi.com> wrote:

>In email, Dr John Stockton <j...@merlyn.demon.co.uk> says:
> > Now a follow-up explaining how one's program can get back to 25-line
> > mode would be nice...

>Gee, normally, I would be happy to provide something like this just
>for the asking, go into lots of detail about the solution, and related
>topics, but your post struck me as being quite demanding. Maybe a
>statement of the form "Now X would be nice..." contains an implicit
>Please and Thank You to a british ear, but I sure don't find it.

Who was it that said something like "England and America are two
countries divided by a common language"?

>Anyway:

>   procedure set_25_lines; assembler;
>   asm
>      mov ax, $1114
>      mov bx, $0000
>      int 10h
>   end;

Thanks.

>Dr. Stockton also mentioned that the two-hyphen separator before my
>sig needs to be followed by a space. Is this correct? What programs
>care about this? My editor eats trailing white space, so following
>this convention will be troublesome at best. Are there any other
>similar conventions? How much does it matter? Information from both
>points on the spectrum will be greatly appreciated.
>--
>Todd Fiske     | "Judging by popular example, there's no saying
>Portland Maine | so stupid it can't be used as a sig." -- Niawt

Explained by E-mail.  With the extra space, some newsreaders can
recognise a sig as a sig; Turnpike will omit it from quoting in a reply.
The convention is non-mandatory, but useful.

If your system uses a sig file, you can always edit in, say, three
hyphens & then use a binary file editor, e.g. DEBUG, to change the last
one to a space.
--
John Stockton, Surrey, UK.  J...@merlyn.demon.co.uk  Turnpike v1.12  MIME

           tfi...@delphi.com "Todd Fiske" writes:

> In email, Dr John Stockton <j...@merlyn.demon.co.uk> says:
>  > Now a follow-up explaining how one's program can get back to 25-line
>  > mode would be nice...

> Gee, normally, I would be happy to provide something like this just
> for the asking, go into lots of detail about the solution, and related
> topics, but your post struck me as being quite demanding. Maybe a
> statement of the form "Now X would be nice..." contains an implicit
> Please and Thank You to a british ear, but I sure don't find it.

Well, I am British, and I would not find that tone as `demanding', but it
does not carry an implicit `please' or `thankyou' imho.  In normal usage, I
would see that statement as a sort of challenge, perhaps jokinly.  I suppose
if said sarcarstically (intentional spelling) it would be demanding.

> Dr. Stockton also mentioned that the two-hyphen separator before my
> sig needs to be followed by a space. Is this correct? What programs
> care about this? My editor eats trailing white space, so following

It is according to `Son of RFC1036' at least, if not RFC1036 itself

> this convention will be troublesome at best. Are there any other
> similar conventions? How much does it matter? Information from both
> points on the spectrum will be greatly appreciated.

The standard is hyphen-hyphen-space-newline.  Some programs automatically
detect .sigs, and (for example) exclude them from quoting (as every human
should do)

.splitbung
--
* TQ 1.0 * The 'Just So Quotes'.
I believe I found the missing link between animal and civilized man.

Other Threads