Is there cheap SQL server replacement ????

Hi,

Currently developing C/S application for small business (I Should say
very small business) I am looking for a cheaper alternative than the
major SQL server (Interbase, MS SQL Server, Oracle...).

The platform is Windows, the architecture follows the three-tier model
and the development tool is Delphi.

In that perspective : Client/data brooker/database server, the choice
for the database server ideally would be an SQL server.

One could argue that for a small number of clients (typically < 10), a
file server system (Paradox files) would get the job perfectly done, and
that it would be free.

But in a perspective of upsizing easily an gaining experience for
subsequent projets, I would prefer an SQL server.

As transparent access to OBDC is possible through the BDE, I guess that
there must be a reliable Windows95 SQL server alternative (supporting
OBDC driver) available.

Any idea will be welcome.

Michel Dekeyzer.

Re:Is there cheap SQL server replacement ????

Michel Dekeyzer wrote:

> Hi,

> Currently developing C/S application for small business (I Should say
> very small business) I am looking for a cheaper alternative than the
> major SQL server (Interbase, MS SQL Server, Oracle...).

> The platform is Windows, the architecture follows the three-tier model
> and the development tool is Delphi.

> In that perspective : Client/data brooker/database server, the choice
> for the database server ideally would be an SQL server.

> One could argue that for a small number of clients (typically < 10), a
> file server system (Paradox files) would get the job perfectly done, and
> that it would be free.

> But in a perspective of upsizing easily an gaining experience for
> subsequent projets, I would prefer an SQL server.

> As transparent access to OBDC is possible through the BDE, I guess that
> there must be a reliable Windows95 SQL server alternative (supporting
> OBDC driver) available.

To me, Interbase seems like a good candidate although it does cost
money.  (It comes with Delphi-3.)  Yes, there are free SQL databases out
there, but I just think that the time you would spent futzing around
with a "free" alternative might ultimately cost you more.

Re:Is there cheap SQL server replacement ????

Hi Michel,

Up Front, I've never done C/S but used SQL with Access
via Diamond (http://www.ems.ru/~timur/diamond/). Will Access meet your
needs? It seems to work well on our Network File based system (no C/S)
at work.

For BDE alternatives you should check out (http://www.kylecordes.com/)
as
a review of options... Some of them are C/S and may meet your needs.

I understand a "thin-Client" (whatever that is) can be developed using
various
Web-based Server Applications and have been very pleased with another
product for Web-App development at (http://www.cgiexpert.com/index.htm).
The
examples and Users forum discuss Web Apps that may give you some ideas.

This doesn't exactly answer you question but sending you to other
experts seems
better than giving BOGUS advise. (been there...)

Good luck and I'd love to hear of the solution you come up with.

vr
Reece

send reply to ebatten@awodREMOVE_ME.com without the "REMOVE_ME"

Michel Dekeyzer wrote:

> Hi,

> Currently developing C/S application for small business (I Should say
> very small business) I am looking for a cheaper alternative than the
> major SQL server (Interbase, MS SQL Server, Oracle...).

> The platform is Windows, the architecture follows the three-tier model
> and the development tool is Delphi.

> In that perspective : Client/data brooker/database server, the choice
> for the database server ideally would be an SQL server.

> One could argue that for a small number of clients (typically < 10), a
> file server system (Paradox files) would get the job perfectly done, and
> that it would be free.

> But in a perspective of upsizing easily an gaining experience for
> subsequent projets, I would prefer an SQL server.

> As transparent access to OBDC is possible through the BDE, I guess that
> there must be a reliable Windows95 SQL server alternative (supporting
> OBDC driver) available.

> Any idea will be welcome.

> Michel Dekeyzer.

Re:Is there cheap SQL server replacement ????

Have you looked at the Advantage Client Engine and Server ? (Extended
Systems)

Re:Is there cheap SQL server replacement ????

Of course, you could download the free interbase server for Linux, and run
with it....

Brian A. Baley wrote in message

<01bdaab0$dc1a0260$20ed9...@bbaley.mcsi.net>...
>Have you looked at the Advantage Client Engine and Server ? (Extended
>Systems)

Re:Is there cheap SQL server replacement ????

On Tue, 07 Jul 1998 10:56:13 +0200, Michel Dekeyzer

<michel.dekey...@skynet.be> wrote:

Hi Michel

I'm writing new freeware database server that communicates via TCP/IP.
It's still in it's early beta, but there are lot's of people who are
intressed about it and many of them are willing to help building it.

Join us. See more at http://www.mechaul.com/delphi

Mechaul Oy - Ohjelmistotuotteet
Janne Timmerbacka
Easy Contact - tuotep??llikk?