Problem sharing Paradox Tables

I've a small Delphi 2.0 application running on a Windows NT network
in which users are sharing a Paradox table on the main server.

Everything works okay except for the refreshing of data.  When one
user changes a field, the changes do not become apparent to other
users despite the "REFRESH" method being called. After some trial and
error I have found that the only way I can get the data to visually
refresh at the other PC's is by closing and then re-opening the table
in the local application..... which begs the question, what's the
point of the "refresh" method?

Having looked at the Delphi Reference Manual it would appear that the
Refresh method should do exactly what I was expecting... that is to
re-read the data from the dataset.

Any ideas as to where I'm going wrong would be most appreciated ;-)

Thanks in advance,

Ian.

Re:Problem sharing Paradox Tables

Ian Shipley wrote:

> I've a small Delphi 2.0 application running on a Windows NT network
> in which users are sharing a Paradox table on the main server.

> Everything works okay except for the refreshing of data.  When one
> user changes a field, the changes do not become apparent to other
> users despite the "REFRESH" method being called. After some trial and
> error I have found that the only way I can get the data to visually
> refresh at the other PC's is by closing and then re-opening the table
> in the local application..... which begs the question, what's the
> point of the "refresh" method?

> Having looked at the Delphi Reference Manual it would appear that the
> Refresh method should do exactly what I was expecting... that is to
> re-read the data from the dataset.

> Any ideas as to where I'm going wrong would be most appreciated ;-)

> Thanks in advance,

> Ian.

uses BDE;

function DbiCheckRefresh: DBIResult stdcall;

see the documentation in the BDE API help file

*** We don't learn unless we press the <ENTER> key! ***

Re:Problem sharing Paradox Tables

We had this exact problem on our NT server. Luckily we had a Borland
support contract at the time, and got them onto the job.
Borland told us that this problem is caused by a bug in Delphi.
We discovered that by first placing the table in edit mode, then cancelling
the edit, the refresh button would work.
We attached this code to the navigator and the problem was solved.
Best Regards.

Ian Shipley <ianship...@zetnet.co.uk> wrote in article
<1997041322403068...@zetnet.co.uk>...

emmanuel wrote:

> We had this exact problem on our NT server. Luckily we had a Borland
> support contract at the time, and got them onto the job.
> Borland told us that this problem is caused by a bug in Delphi.
> We discovered that by first placing the table in edit mode, then cancelling
> the edit, the refresh button would work.
> We attached this code to the navigator and the problem was solved.
> Best Regards.

You could also try to call the BDE function DbiSaveChanges. This flushes
the BDE buffers.

Jean-Marc van der Kolk
k...@dgmr.nl

Other Threads