Incompatiable dBase Versions?

Hello,

This is an ongoing problem for me.  I'm trying to import a dbase table into
a Paradox table.  I can open the table, but when I run a batchmove on the
table - it crashes with a "Invalid File type" error. This only seems to
happen with tables that have a DBT extention.

So, using the DBExploer in D2, I checked the dBase version of the files I'm
trying to import (exported by Outlook97) and the version my app creates.

The Outlook version created a separate DBT file for the memo & picture
fields, and it is an dBase III+ table.  When I create a table in my
application using the batchmove component with the same fields, it does NOT
create any DBT files and is a "dbase/win" table????

1)  What version is "dbase/win" and why doesn't my app create an associated
DBT file?
2)  Why do I get an error of invalid file type when trying to run the
batchmove?
3)  I'm using D2 Pro with BDE version 3.0.  What versions of dBase CAN'T I
manipulate.  I can open most all of them (the ones in the DBDemos are dBase
IV 2.0), but apparently I can't do some things with some files.

Thanks.

Re:Incompatiable dBase Versions?

On Thu, 14 May 1998 16:22:46 -0400 Jay Jackson
<jay.jackson@no_spam.mci.com> said:

--> What versions of dBase CAN'T I
--> manipulate.  I can open most all of them (the ones in the DBDemos are dBase
--> IV 2.0), but apparently I can't do some things with some files.
-->
I've run into the very same problems in Visual dBASE with dBASE files
created by Clipper.  It only seems to happen with DBFs that have over 128
fields and one of the fields is a memo field.  I was told by a TeamB
person, on the Visual dBASE NG, that the BDE can't deal with level 3
DBFs created by third party programs if they exceed the 128 field limit.
I don't know why having a DBT causes it to crash, because I have opened
level 3 DBFs with over 128 fields using the BDE and its only the ones
with DBTs that crash.  If you want to use this file you'll probably have
to convert it to a level 4 or even possibly a level 5 DBF before you can
use it.  In my case, since I didn't need the memo field's data, I was
able to use a Clipper program to output the file, without the memo field,
to another DBF and then it worked fine.

BTW, I've been able to open these files with no problems using FoxPro,
Halcyon, and the Advantage Database Engine.  Its only the BDE that seems
to have the problem :-{
--
Jim Fitzgerald - ENVIROGENICS Software Company
Delphi/Visual dBASE/Clipper Development

I hate spammers so send all spam to: ab...@iname.com
Support the anti-Spam amendment - Join at http://www.cauce.org/

Re:Incompatiable dBase Versions?

Interesting.  The Outlook created file doesn't have 128 fields, but it
certainly has a memo field (hence the DBT).  I actually need the memo
though.  I wonder if anyone on TeamB or Borland has a universal dBase import
routine for BDE 3.0 (or at least close to it).

Re:Incompatiable dBase Versions?

On Thu, 14 May 1998 19:39:33 -0400 Jay Jackson
<jay.jackson@no_spam.mci.com> said:

--> Interesting.  The Outlook created file doesn't have 128 fields, but it
--> certainly has a memo field (hence the DBT).  I actually need the memo
--> though.  I wonder if anyone on TeamB or Borland has a universal dBase import
--> routine for BDE 3.0 (or at least close to it).
-->
Hmmmm, maybe its due to a DBT block size problem or a total record
length problem.  The older DBF versions used a 512 byte block size but
the newer DBFs could go as low a 64 bytes.  I don't recall what the total
record length for standard DBF files was but I know it was quite high in
Clipper and FoxPro.  I know in Access you can export DBF files up to
the dBASE V levels.  I don't know anything about Outlook.  Does it give
you the option for the dBASE file type?  If so I would try either dBASE
IV or dBASE V if its available.  I know that BDE 2.52 could handle DBFs
at this level, but I'm not sure about BDE 3.00.
--
Jim Fitzgerald - ENVIROGENICS Software Company
Delphi/Visual dBASE/Clipper Development
email replies: chemmast at penn dot com

I hate spammers so send all spam to: ab...@iname.com
Support the anti-Spam amendment - Join at http://www.cauce.org/