Installing Borland Database Engine

Now you've probably had this before:

I am using Delphi 3 and InstallSHIELD Express 2 (the full commercial
package, not the one which comes with Delphi) to try and distribute an
application which uses an Access 97 database.  Whatever I try, I always get
the 'An error occurred while attempting to initialise the Borland Database
Engine' and an error number (which varies).  I have tried the following:

1. Because of an NT crash, I reinstalled my system but put on Delphi 4 and
InstallSHIELD Express 2 and tried that - no joy (full and partial installs
of the BDE).
2. Installed Delphi 3 and tried again - no joy (again, full and partial
installs of BDE).
3. Un-installed Delphi 3, then Delphi 4.  Re-installed Delphi 3 and tried
again - no joy (again, full and partial installs of BDE).
4. Installed Delphi 3 and InstallSHIELD 2 on a completely different machine
and tried again - no joy.

It always seems to be the BDE not working - the ODBC is set up and working
OK.

Anyone know how to get the {*word*81} working?

TIA,

Gerald Holdsworth