Access 97 and cached updates

Hi!
    I think this has been asked many times...
    My problem is when I try to use a TQuery component with a Access97
database and set
    cachedupdates to True, i get this error message : ' General SQL error...
Operation not supported
    for this type of object.Field.' What does this mean?
    I tried with DBDEMOS and it works fine...
    If anyone can help me, i'll be very glad...
    Thanks in advance!
    I use D3 Standard Edition with BDE4.51.... My database is Access97

Re:Access 97 and cached updates

Try changing the update mode of the query to whereKeyOnly.

Juan

hdemir wrote in message <6crkm3$h...@forums.borland.com>...
>Hi!
>    I think this has been asked many times...
>    My problem is when I try to use a TQuery component with a Access97
>database and set
>    cachedupdates to True, i get this error message : ' General SQL
error...
>Operation not supported
>    for this type of object.Field.' What does this mean?
>    I tried with DBDEMOS and it works fine...
>    If anyone can help me, i'll be very glad...
>    Thanks in advance!
>    I use D3 Standard Edition with BDE4.51.... My database is Access97

Re:Access 97 and cached updates

Sorry but i always use whereKeyOnly.... still doesn't work....
any other ideas?

Juan Jimenez (TeamB) wrote in message <6crn5j$h...@forums.borland.com>...
>Try changing the update mode of the query to whereKeyOnly.

>Juan

Re:Access 97 and cached updates

Ok, compare the two tables/queries (DBDEMOS and yours) and see what's
different. That's all I can think of right now.

hdemir wrote in message <6crs3q$h...@forums.borland.com>...
>Sorry but i always use whereKeyOnly.... still doesn't work....
>any other ideas?

>Juan Jimenez (TeamB) wrote in message <6crn5j$h...@forums.borland.com>...
>>Try changing the update mode of the query to whereKeyOnly.

>>Juan

Re:Access 97 and cached updates

Thanks Juan! :)
I've got it.... If you use a VarChar field in your Access table, you can't
use cached updates....
I changed this field and it works fine....

Thanks for your patience :)

Juan Jimenez (TeamB) wrote in message <6csu7l$i...@forums.borland.com>...
>Ok, compare the two tables/queries (DBDEMOS and yours) and see what's
>different. That's all I can think of right now.

Re:Access 97 and cached updates

hi all -

i'm having the same problem that hdemir was having, but i wasn't able
to solve it by not using varchar fields.

here's the setup:

  - delphi c/s 3.02, bde 4.51, msaccess native driver using
    idda3532.dll
  - ms access 97, 2 tables in .mdb file: tblMilestone,
    tblMilestoneHistory (see below for data definition)
  - 2 query components, 2 updatesql components, master(tblMilestone)
    detail(tblMilestoneHistory) setup, cached updates true, update
    upWhereKeyOnly

when i execute the select statement "select * from tblMilestone" i
get the message "general sql error. operation is not supported for
this type of object. field."

what does this mean, and what can i do about it? i've got a deadline,
and this is driving me nuts.

thanks for your help,

- phil
                                                        phil robinson
                                                   ph...@followup.com
                                        http://www.followup.com/phil/

data definition:

CREATE TABLE tblMilestone
(  MilestoneID          COUNTER          NOT NULL,
   MilestoneDate        DATE             NOT NULL,
   Description          CHAR(100)        NOT NULL,
   Completed            BIT              NOT NULL,

   CONSTRAINT MilestoneID PRIMARY KEY (MilestoneID)
);

CREATE INDEX MilestoneDate ON tblMilestone (MilestoneDate);
CREATE INDEX Description   ON tblMilestone (Description);
CREATE INDEX Completed     ON tblMilestone (Completed);

CREATE TABLE tblMilestoneHistory
(  HistoryID            COUNTER          NOT NULL,
   MilestoneID          LONG             NOT NULL,
   HistoryDate          DATE             NOT NULL,
   Comment              LONGTEXT         NOT NULL,

   CONSTRAINT HistoryID   PRIMARY KEY (HistoryID),
   CONSTRAINT MilestoneID FOREIGN KEY (MilestoneID)
                          REFERENCES tblMilestone (MilestoneID)
);

CREATE INDEX HistoryDate ON tblMilestoneHistory (HistoryDate);

Re:Access 97 and cached updates

In article <35255D40.9C3C...@followup.com>, Phil Robinson
<ph...@followup.com> writes

>i'm having the same problem that hdemir was having, but i wasn't able
>to solve it by not using varchar fields.
>when i execute the select statement "select * from tblMilestone" i
>get the message "general sql error. operation is not supported for
>this type of object. field."

I might have have missed the earlier messages, but have you made sure
there are no default values in your Access table definition?
--
Tony Lavelle
Hyrax Computer Systems Ltd, UK

Re:Access 97 and cached updates

the problem was not the data type unfortunately.......
i recreated all database with Database Desktop and it's ok for now...
i think some datatypes aren't %100 compatible...

Tony Lavelle wrote in message <9OR+7HAts8K1E...@hyrax.demon.co.uk>...
>In article <35255D40.9C3C...@followup.com>, Phil Robinson
><ph...@followup.com> writes
>>i'm having the same problem that hdemir was having, but i wasn't able
>>to solve it by not using varchar fields.
>>when i execute the select statement "select * from tblMilestone" i
>>get the message "general sql error. operation is not supported for
>>this type of object. field."
>I might have have missed the earlier messages, but have you made sure
>there are no default values in your Access table definition?
>--
>Tony Lavelle
>Hyrax Computer Systems Ltd, UK
>(remove .spamtrap from return address before replying)

Other Threads