Table design thoughts and questions

You're right!!!! Now I know that a TTable isn't just for dynamic fields! I can add
fields from other tables to create the TTable setup I need for my form layouts! A
revilation for me!

John

Brian Bushay TeamB wrote:
> >I wonder if it would be better to create a table for each department so
> >that as a transaction occurred (from department to department) the
> >record was moved to the next table and deleted from the previous table.
> >My tables might be wider (more columns) but as an overall, the combined
> >table lengths would be shorter. The max number of columns needed is
> >around 30 columns. My forms would practically desin themselves with this
> >layout, emulating the tables for each department.

> >Can someone pine in on this and help a newbie?

> Having separate tables for the same function is generally a poor practice.
> Use one table for all departments where department is one of the fields in that
> table.

> --
> Brian Bushay (TeamB)
> Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:Table design thoughts and questions

In a previous thread "How to synchronize cursors between tables in a
form" I ran into a form design issue because I have broken my
information into many tables to make the Pdox tables as small and
efficient layout as possible. This seems to complicate the
design/run/maintain processes a lot.

I wonder if it would be better to create a table for each department so
that as a transaction occurred (from department to department) the
record was moved to the next table and deleted from the previous table.
My tables might be wider (more columns) but as an overall, the combined
table lengths would be shorter. The max number of columns needed is
around 30 columns. My forms would practically desin themselves with this
layout, emulating the tables for each department.

Can someone pine in on this and help a newbie?

Thanks
John Whitling

Re:Table design thoughts and questions

>I wonder if it would be better to create a table for each department so
>that as a transaction occurred (from department to department) the
>record was moved to the next table and deleted from the previous table.
>My tables might be wider (more columns) but as an overall, the combined
>table lengths would be shorter. The max number of columns needed is
>around 30 columns. My forms would practically desin themselves with this
>layout, emulating the tables for each department.

>Can someone pine in on this and help a newbie?

Having separate tables for the same function is generally a poor practice.
Use one table for all departments where department is one of the fields in that
table.

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@NMPLS.com