Interacting with Control at Design Time

Hi,

   Lets say I have a control I derived from TWinControl.  Now this
contol creates widgets derived from TPerisistent.  They are much like
TSpeedButtons but I don't want to derive from TControl for these Widgets
as I am drawing them directly and don't want the extra overhead the VCL
introduces.  I don't want them to be stand alone, they belong to the
main control and it knows best how to manipulate and paint them.  The
only issuse I have is interacting with the widget.  Is is possible to
interact with a TPersistent or maybe TComponent object that is the child
of another control at design time?  The main thing I need to do is to be
able to add a some why for the components user to assign actions and
click events to the widgets (maybe actions are not possible deriving
from a class higher than TControl?)  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jim

Re:Interacting with Control at Design Time

In article <3C93873D.6F83...@mindspring00.com>, Jim Kueneman wrote:
>    Lets say I have a control I derived from TWinControl.  Now this
> contol creates widgets derived from TPerisistent.  They are much like
> TSpeedButtons but I don't want to derive from TControl for these Widgets
> as I am drawing them directly and don't want the extra overhead the VCL
> introduces.  I don't want them to be stand alone, they belong to the
> main control and it knows best how to manipulate and paint them.  The
> only issuse I have is interacting with the widget.  Is is possible to
> interact with a TPersistent or maybe TComponent object that is the child
> of another control at design time?  The main thing I need to do is to be
> able to add a some why for the components user to assign actions and
> click events to the widgets (maybe actions are not possible deriving
> from a class higher than TControl?)

If you derive from TControl or TGraphiccontrol that would all be
automatic. If you don't you have to implement it all yourself. In this
case i would probably opt for making the widgets TCollectionItem
descendents and store them into a TCollection exposed as a published
property.

This is actually a question better served in
delphi.vcl.components.writing, IMO.

--
Peter Below (TeamB)
Use the newsgroup archives :

Re:Interacting with Control at Design Time

> If you derive from TControl or TGraphiccontrol that would all be
> automatic. If you don't you have to implement it all yourself. In this
> case i would probably opt for making the widgets TCollectionItem
> descendents and store them into a TCollection exposed as a published
> property.

> This is actually a question better served in
> delphi.vcl.components.writing, IMO.

Thank you and yes I know, that was where I thought I was posting.  Once
I realized I tried to cancel it but Netscape said I did not have the
authorization so I let it stand.

Jim

Other Threads