Does MDAC 2.6 have threading problems on multiple processor machines

I have an application, (compiled with Delphi 5 with all updates, ADO Express
with all updates), which simply stops processing for intervals of one and
two minutes (almost to the second) when running on a dual processor, Win2000
COMPAQ machine when communicating with an Oracle database, using the
Microsoft ODBC for Oracle driver. The same application runs without ever
displaying this phenomenon on a single processor machine using MDAC 2.5.1,
and on multi-processor (4) machines with MDAC 2.5.

When the delay occurs, Task Manager indicates that both processors are
completely inactive, that no particular process is consuming CPU and the
disk drive lights display only an occasional flutter.

When two (and presumably more...) instances of the application are run
concurrently on the COMPAQ machine, the phenomenon disappears. Logging (to a
simple text file with time stamps) the SQL being performed when the single
instance is being run, indicates that the delay appears randomly amongst
series of SELECT, INSERT and UPDATE statements which are all contained
within a single transaction.

In the end the transaction completes without exceptions, and the records
affected are present and correct in the database. But it sure slows things
down a lot!

Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Re:Does MDAC 2.6 have threading problems on multiple processor machines

I do not think it has anything to do with Orcale as I am seeing the
same thing on my Sql2000 system. The problem appeared after I upgraded
to IE6 (not MDAC 2.6). I have seen some discussion in non-techincal
group about the IE6 indexing scheme being the cause but I do not know
how to solve the problem either. On a PC where you can view hard drive
activity you will see that everything stops except the hard drive to
taking all the CPU power doing a continous disk scan.

Dennis Passmore
Ultimate Software, Inc

Other Threads