Re: Is the word "{*word*163}" good to be part of a project name?

On 2008-01-16, Kostya <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
>May I suggest "HooksMan"?

Or "HooksManOrWoman" to be PC compliant
Discriminates hermafrodites. -Person would be better.

Re: Is the word "{*word*163}" good to be part of a project name?

"Qi" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote
I think "hook" should be part of the name.
Using "{*word*163}" is more convenience to me.
But after looking up it in my e-dictionary, I found one
of the meaning of "{*word*163}" is "{*word*41}".
I would go ahead and use "{*word*163}" if it means some
feature that hooks things together. (Surely that won't
disparage the prostitution occupation too much to
cause concern.) --JohnH

Re: Is the word "{*word*163}" good to be part of a project name?

In article <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>, Qi says...
I'm going to release a new free Delphi project soon.
I'm considering the project name.
I think "hook" should be part of the name.
Using "{*word*163}" is more convenience to me.
But after looking up it in my e-dictionary, I found one
of the meaning of "{*word*163}" is "{*word*41}".
Hmmm, well "string" could be interpreted in the sense implied in
"stringing someone along", so maybe we need to change the name of
"string" types in Delphi?
Word is heavily overloaded too. How can something that can only hold
numerical values be a "word"?
Calling something a "class function" might imply that other functions
are not as good, as in "Bob is a class act, but his brother isn't".
And this prediliction with OO might be seen as developers objectifying
the problem domain, and objectifying anything is generally a bad thing.
Get a grip. :)
A software "{*word*163}" (software that hooks something) is not the same as a
street-walker. Neither, incidentally, is it the same as the playing
position in a rugby football game.
I'd much rather work with a name that is easily understood and
communicates it is job - if it has a double-entendre that might make me
smile every once in awhile that is all good!
If the alternative is to spend my days working with code that uses
ultra-politically sensitive names but which leads to cumbersome and
possibly ambiguous or inaccurate names, then give me clarity and
offensiveness any day.
:D
--
JS
TWorld.Create.Free;

Re: Is the word "{*word*163}" good to be part of a project name?

Some years ago, there was a program name P.C. {*word*163}.
It transfer files from one computer to another.
Edwin
"Qi" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
I'm going to release a new free Delphi project soon.
I'm considering the project name.
I think "hook" should be part of the name.
Using "{*word*163}" is more convenience to me.
But after looking up it in my e-dictionary, I found one
of the meaning of "{*word*163}" is "{*word*41}".

Though "{*word*163}" is also the first name of some famous
man of the western history (like {*word*163} Joseph, I know him
from the e-dictionary too.), I really wonder "{*word*163}" is
a bad or good name for a program project.

Any advice? Your native English speaking guys?

If your guys say it is bad, I have to do a refactoring to
rename all "{*word*163}" related symbol names to other ones.
But don't worry, I have been ready to do it and my project
is very small (no more than 2000 LOC). :-)

Re: Is the word "{*word*163}" good to be part of a project name?

So an instance of a T{*word*163} would be
A{*word*163} := T{*word*163}.Create (Customer);
try
A{*word*163}.ChargeToMuch(1000);
A{*word*163}.strip;
while A{*word*163}.Customer.NotDone
A{*word*163}.DoIt;
A{*word*163}.CladSparingly;
A{*word*163}.SplitTakeWithPimp;
finally
A{*word*163}.Free;
end;
maybe T{*word*163} hehe

Re: Is the word "{*word*163}" good to be part of a project name?

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 22:22:38 +0800, Qi <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
writes:
I'm going to release a new free Delphi project soon.
I'm considering the project name.
I think "hook" should be part of the name.
Using "{*word*163}" is more convenience to me.
But after looking up it in my e-dictionary, I found one
of the meaning of "{*word*163}" is "{*word*41}".

Though "{*word*163}" is also the first name of some famous
man of the western history (like {*word*163} Joseph, I know him
from the e-dictionary too.), I really wonder "{*word*163}" is
a bad or good name for a program project.

Any advice? Your native English speaking guys?

If your guys say it is bad, I have to do a refactoring to
rename all "{*word*163}" related symbol names to other ones.
But don't worry, I have been ready to do it and my project
is very small (no more than 2000 LOC). :-)
You'll need to identify what sort of thing it is. Your target
audience makes a big difference how people are going to react.

Re: Is the word "{*word*163}" good to be part of a project name?

Hi, all,
Thank you for all your reply.
Seems all your English speakers' first reaction is "{*word*41}"
when seeing the word "{*word*163}", so I think I should change it
back to "hook".
Same in Chinese, the word "chick" or "hen" is abused to
indicate "{*word*41}" too so we always avoid that word. :-)
My new project is a package of code hook which hooks other
functions. it is part of my another project Denomo.
I think the proper name is "CodeHook" rather than "Code{*word*163}".

Re: Is the word "{*word*163}" good to be part of a project name?

I'm going to release a new free Delphi project soon.
I'm considering the project name.
I think "hook" should be part of the name.
Using "{*word*163}" is more convenience to me.
But after looking up it in my e-dictionary, I found one
of the meaning of "{*word*163}" is "{*word*41}".
I would use something like HookManager, but then again, I am more in-tune
with the .NET framework naming convension and so on.
Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Is the word "{*word*163}" good to be part of a project name?

"Bill Mullen" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
So an instance of a T{*word*163} would be

A{*word*163} := T{*word*163}.Create (Customer);
try
A{*word*163}.ChargeToMuch(1000);
A{*word*163}.strip;
while A{*word*163}.Customer.NotDone
A{*word*163}.DoIt;
A{*word*163}.CladSparingly;
A{*word*163}.SplitTakeWithPimp;
finally
A{*word*163}.Free;
end;
hehe
you know that T is by convention, you can put Z{*word*163}
also project name isnt same as class name or object name

Re: Is the word "{*word*163}" good to be part of a project name?

Delphi is also sex!"
Free ?

Re: Is the word "{*word*163}" good to be part of a project name?

Its the new millennium and Web 2.0 is the way to go ->so just use
"hookr" instead! Gets you the best of all worlds.
Rob C
Qi writes:
[...]

Discriminating martians?

mamcx writes:
>Discriminates hermafrodites. -Person would be better.

Discriminating martians?
Who says Martians can not be persons?
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] www.teamb.com
"Love is the answer - but while you're waiting for the answer sex

On 2008-01-17, mamcx <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
>Discriminates hermafrodites. -Person would be better.

Discriminating martians?
I'll fully agree, after I have seen your airtight evidence that they exist.
Oh, and I don't accept Discovery "documentaries".

Re: Is the word "{*word*163}" good to be part of a project name?

In article <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>, mamcx says...
>Discriminates hermafrodites. -Person would be better.

Discriminating martians?
Little dark green men at the back of the bus, little light green men at
the front.
:)
--
JS