Environmentally friendly

I'm much happier since I have stopped going to work. I have an office
at home with a bunch of computers and a decent internet connection.
In the last few weeks, I have needed to be on-site at a customer's HQ,
which requires a 40 minute drive (or a bit less if I take the
motorbike). With any luck, this will change.
In this bright new future, I can not see the point in having to be
physically present anywhere.
I've been sharing code with others by using a decent source code
control system, a lot of snarky skype messages, and email.
There have been a couple of recent occasions when my presence has been
required thousands of miles away, and I have had to catch a plane, but
these are rare.
Mostly, I can do my job by just rolling out of bed, and taking the
stairs down to the office.
Sometimes I will even shave and put clothes on.
Am I in a minority? Do you drive to work? Do you need to drive to
work? What would change if you didn't need to use a car to get to work?
I reckon that the whole programming community is the best place to
look at different ways of avoiding using cars to get to work. (Maybe
not the VB(Visual Basic) people since they're stuck with making the computer itself
use excess energy just to figure out what it can do very slowly).
If you need to travel to work, I recommend a motorbike (and a Ducati
will always produce a smile).
Scout

Re:Environmentally friendly

Scout writes:
If you need to travel to work, I recommend a motorbike (and a Ducati
will always produce a smile).
I disagree <g>.
I ride my bike to work. Depending on which direction I decide to take
it can be about a 45km round trip. Otherwise I take the train. Seldom
do I drive unless I have to be somewhere afterwards (which happens to
be tomorrow). It takes me less time to ride by bike than to drive.
Train can be touch and go and generally depends on the elements
(weather) and if the train runs on time (not that often).
I'd love to work from home (I have a sweet setup - my office is two old
bedrooms with the divider wall removed and has an inbuilt desk/cupboard
space at one end), at the moment I just do that in evenings and
occasionally on weekends.
I would miss the commute by bike though.
--
TJSDialog - TaskDialog for other operating systems:
www.jed-software.com/jsd.htm

Re:Environmentally friendly

Same here, although it is more structured :
I do shave 2 times a week and I prefer my Yamaha :-)
Paul
"Scout" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>schreef in bericht
[...]

I work from home as well. When ever I have to go to a clients site I can't
beleive how noisy open plan offices are, and how do people work with so many
interruptions ?
Anyway, my 'commute' to work is walking the dogs. Walk the dogs in the
morning, when I get back home I am 'at work'. Walk the dogs in the evening,
when I get back home I am 'at home'. Part of the walk is alongside the railway
going into London and I love watching everyone in their suits, crammed into the
trains, going for another day in the office. The feeling is especially good on
a hot summers day !

Re:Environmentally friendly

I currently cycle (Bicycle that is) 15 minutes to work which
is great exercise and keeps me trim, saves the environment
and saves me having to keep a second car on the road with
associated costs.
However, I have just been told that our office is closing down
and that I will have to work 2 days a week (or when needed)
from our head office 1 hours drive away.
So in a way it will be nice to work from home, but I shall
miss the cycling/finess regime (OK I could go out and cycle
anyway but there's a big disincentive when it's
raining/snowing etc.)
I shall see how it goes.
And I used to ride a bike until someone put me in hospital
doing a U-turn in front of me, so those things are not high
up my list now.
Rgds Pete
"Scout" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
[...]

After 4 yrs in a home office, I got fed up with distractions/noise and rented a
nice little office a few blocks from our house - best of both worlds imo, both
politics-free and distractions-free :-)
JoeH

Re:Environmentally friendly

When my partner and I left our previous employer and started up on our own,
working from home was the only thing we had on our minds. After just over 13
months, there is no way either I nor she could work in a 'regular' office
again. We have a great setup here, no one to tell us what we can and can't
do, what music to put on (we have extreme tastes, hehe).
I think it is a much more productive environment. Of course the threat of
distraction, what with PlayStations and Wii, are constant, but we are
disciplined.... must... resist...
I roll out of bed, have a shower (and occasionally shave :), make a good cup
of coffee and settle in for work. I do miss driving my (I guess
"environmentally unfriendly") V8 beast every day, but the fuel bill has gone
way down, which is not a bad thing.
When we have client meetings we either go to see them, or they come here,
but our preferred method is to meet at a good cafe somewhere - I think
meetings have a much nicer atmosphere somewhere with a good coffee, and nice
scenery in the background. We tend to haunt one particular place only a few
minutes from here, over the road from the ocean, with great coffee, food and
free WiFi :) We have been known to go there for a few hours and actually do
work too, hehe.
Good times!
Dave

Re:Environmentally friendly

In article <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>, XXXX@XXXXX.COM
says...
I disagree <g>.

I ride my bike to work. Depending on which direction I decide to take
it can be about a 45km round trip. Otherwise I take the train.
I would miss the commute by bike though.

I would probably enjoy a push-bike as well, but I have an excuse: I
live at the top of a mountain. The downhill trip to the train (7kms
away and cyclists have been known to hit 90km/h on that road) would be
fun, but I doubt I'd ever make it back up the hill to home.
Apart from that, I am too fat, old and lazy.
Scout

Re:Environmentally friendly

LOL, I can understand that - luckily I live in a valley so
it's a fairly flat ride to work.
Pete
"Scout" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
In article <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>,
XXXX@XXXXX.COM
says...

In article <46f20a7b$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>, XXXX@XXXXX.COM says...
Same here, although it is more structured :

I do shave 2 times a week and I prefer my Yamaha :-)

Paul

Paul,
you haven't lived until you've ridden a tiny bike with a great big 2
cylinder engine.
Discovering Ducatis was almost as much of a revelation for me as
finding Delphi.
Scout

Re:Environmentally friendly

And I used to ride a bike until someone put me in hospital
doing a U-turn in front of me, so those things are not high
up my list now.
Rgds Pete
I once had the "driver opening the door as I was riding past" thingy.
It cost me a new mirror and an indicator, but I was secretly pleased
that it caused many thousands of dollars worth of damage to the car.
Oh, and I got a sore elbow for a couple of days.
Scout

Re:Environmentally friendly

I managed to write the car off, but being off work for 6
months with broken arm & leg and paralysed hand is not
something I'd recommend - especially over Christmas. It
paid the deposit on my house though so I can not be too
negative!
Pete
"Scout" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>And I used to ride a bike until someone put me in
>hospital
>doing a U-turn in front of me, so those things are not
>high
>up my list now.
>Rgds Pete
I once had the "driver opening the door as I was riding
past" thingy.

It cost me a new mirror and an indicator, but I was
secretly pleased
that it caused many thousands of dollars worth of damage
to the car.

Oh, and I got a sore elbow for a couple of days.

Scout

Re:Environmentally friendly

In article <46f24bcf$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>,
XXXX@XXXXX.COM says...
The time I was the most efficient was the time I used to work at home.
My boss wants me at work everyday now so he can pester on me with many,
many, *many* things that prevents me from doing properly my job.

I too have certainly had a lot of resistance from my Boss to working
from home.
I reckon that he's just annoyed that he hasn't figured out how to make
it work for himself yet.
He'll come up with things like: "I need you here for this conference
call with a guy in the US, another guy in Australia, and the customer in
NZ".
Since I can not be physically present in all 3 countries at the same
time, why is there a need for me to be physically present anywhere other
than at home?
(I do have 2 phone lines at home)
(and, wait for it - my Boss still uses dial-up for the internet
because he doesn't trust the routers in the office)

In article <46f250bf$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>,
XXXX@XXXXX.COM says...
I managed to write the car off, but being off work for 6
months with broken arm & leg and paralysed hand is not
something I'd recommend - especially over Christmas. It
paid the deposit on my house though so I can not be too
negative!
Pete

That doesn't sound like much fun.
Many years ago, I bought my boy a motorbike, and 2 weeks later he had
much the same problem.
The thing I found scariest was that the impact ripped the petrol tank
off the bike (amongst other damage).
When we found the tank (quite a reasonable distance away), there was a
big dent in it right where a certain part of his body had provided the
impetus (well you get the idea).
Fortunately, my Grandson was born 2 weeks ago, so I now know that
using that part of your body to dismantle a motorbike quickly doesn't
mean that it no longer works.
Scout

Re:Environmentally friendly

The strange thing about the internet is that you can not tell
someone's age by what they write.
I would have said that you were *much* younger than
*grandfather* seems to imply.
But what do I know. <g>
Pete
"Scout" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes