Re: Dale Fuller resigns.

Captain Jake writes:
There hasn't been any real
innovation in Object Pascal in over a decade, if that. (Borland is even more
guilty of this than RemObjects)

The Captain is so jaded these days. Dale resigns, and he lets it all go. :-)

Re: Dale Fuller resigns.

"Brian Moelk" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>It isn't innovative by the way. For the most part, it simply mixes and
>matches features that already have existed in various languages. That is
>imitation, not innovation. Nothing wrong with that, mind you, since that
is
>one way some people will get benefits they otherwise would not know
>about.
>But to call it "innovative" is a stretch.
I actually agree with you again Jake. What is this world coming to?
Folks, what about bringing this to where it belongs (aka our newsgroups)
rather discussing it here?
--
Best regards,
Alessandro Federici

Re: Dale Fuller resigns.

"Brion L. Webster" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
The only real conversation I had with him was the start of the Borland
Barbarian campaign, that ill executed, poorly supported, quietly
I have never even heard of it.
-- d
Need to see what's happening?
Check out the Delphi Community Blog Aggregator
delphi.flashblogger.com

Re: Dale Fuller resigns.

In article <xn0e4i3n81e7vh400a-velthuis@www.teamb.com>,
"Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
The new Small Team Pack seems to be a hint they did not forget the small
dev teams.
And something for which Borland deserves praise.
--
-David

Re: Dale Fuller resigns.

Well said
Lauchlan M writes:
>I see this as a great thing as many of the wrong decisions have
>occurred on his watch. I am sure that he did some things right,

I don't work at Borland, so I can not know what the deal is. Maybe he
just resigned because MS offered him a better job (ie, he is moving
divisions within MS ;) it is a promotion, like the one Anders H got! )

But I think that under his watch Borland have a much sounder corporate
strategy. They are hitting the SDO and process management buttons at
the Enterprise level. They have made a string of intelligent
acquisitions with a coherent strategy and focus behind them. They
have acquired MDA technologies and skills. They are working with MS
rather than fighting them.

Perhaps they stuffed up on the initial D2005 release, and perhaps
Dale was overly keen to get the product to market before it was ready
(I don't know). But when you look at things from the strategic
level, I think Dale took the reigns in company in a tough time, 'did
a deal with the devil' (MS), turned the company around, and has left
it with a sound strategy and position. I don't think you can assess
Dale's contribution as CEO in terms only of Delphi product releases.
The CEO is responsible for broader strategic positioning, development
of the company culture, and a whole range of things.

And also, please remember that until Dale, they had 5 CEOs in 5
years. It must be good for Borland to have had consistent leadership
from one person in the time Dale has been there.

>Now maybe a true software leader can
>take the helm and bring the company to a higher level.

Yes, let's hope they find someone great (or at least extremely
competent with a good vision and goals for the company), either from
internally or externally.

Lauchlan M

Re: Dale Fuller resigns.

At 19:43:10, 08.07.2005, David Dean writes:
In article <xn0e4i3n81e7vh400a-velthuis@www.teamb.com>,
"Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:

>The new Small Team Pack seems to be a hint they did not forget the
>small dev teams.

And something for which Borland deserves praise.
Indeed.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] velthuis.homepage.t-online.de
"A coward is a hero with a wife, kids, and a mortgage." - Marvin Kitman.

Re: Dale Fuller resigns.

"Alessandro Federici" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Folks, what about bringing this to where it belongs (aka our newsgroups)
rather discussing it here?
What about it? I seem to remember it being a rather unpleasant experience
the last times I tried that.

Re: Dale Fuller resigns.

Captain Jake in <42ce96e2$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
"Kostya" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>>Surely you must know what sarcasm is?
>
>I do, does not seem that you know though

I have no idea what sarcasm is.

LOL!

Re: Dale Fuller resigns.

"Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote
At 07:19:12, 08.07.2005, Juha Piispa writes:
>It is not easy to support
>all developer level from student to small 1-3 developer companies to
>large 100 developer teams.
The new Small Team Pack seems to be a hint they did not forget the small
dev teams.
Classic Rudy, always ready in defense of Borland <g>. Anyway, too little too
late. Developers are more impressed by quality, not superhero cartoons
(well, most developers, I'd think).

Re: Dale Fuller resigns.

At 21:46:17, 08.07.2005, somebody writes:
Classic Rudy, always ready in defense of Borland <g>. Anyway, too
little too late.
It is never too late for such an action.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] velthuis.homepage.t-online.de
"They say such nice things about people at their funerals that it

Re: Dale Fuller resigns.

Brion L. Webster writes:
Borland Barbarian campaign
Time to get past that, Brion.
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com

Re: Dale Fuller resigns.

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 08:30:21 -0500, "Captain Jake"
<jake[nospam]@jsnewsreader.com>writes:
It isn't innovative by the way. For the most part, it simply mixes and
matches features that already have existed in various languages.
No special relevation to Chrome, but why isn't mixing and matching of
ingredients innovation? If my sister makes some dish combining things
commonly used in desserts in her turky dish, in a way not done before,
isn't that innovation?
- Asbjørn

Re: Dale Fuller resigns.

>I have no idea what sarcasm is.

It's a crevasse in Germany.
That's why he has no idea what it is, they are capricious I will tell you,
you have no idea they even exist, then.. suddenly.. just ask Dale..
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Re: Dale Fuller resigns.

Max writes:
Some of them would help...

-a fast Delphi IDE
-Delphi Win64
-Kylix 4
-solve all open QC's
-forget the ALM b.s.
-listen to the community
Be careful, Max, I have a feeling head-hunters are lurking around here
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Re: Dale Fuller resigns.

Nick Hodges [TeamB] writes:
Brion L. Webster writes:

>Borland Barbarian campaign

Time to get past that, Brion.
Probably.
What I meant was that I have "known" David I for 10 years, and in those
10 years he has been e{*word*277}d about Borland products and very
enthusiastic. At the same time, Borland has made some really magnificent
products, most notably Delphi, products which have contributed and
played a significant role in, and meant a lot for my success in this
business. I believe Dale is dependent of other people, and I have no
material to build any assumptions on, have little knowledge about what
he has done.
But when he is enthusiastic, I take it as yet another sign of Borland
knowing what they do.
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com