Re: Help not working for Delphi Win32 projects

"Jon Robertson" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>skrev i meddelandet news:44469be5$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
Ingvar Anderberg writes:

>Alt Gr+F1

What's Alt Gr?

the right Alt-button

Re: Help not working for Delphi Win32 projects

Jon Robertson writes:
What was slow that is now faster?
For example the Move(), FillChar(), CompareText, CompareStr, ... functions
are replaced by FastCode code. Especially Move() uses SSE, MMX or i386
code depending on the CPU.
The FileExists() function is very slow because it uses FileAge what itself
uses FindFirstFile. But GetFileAttributes() is a lot faster than
FindFirstFile and has the same effect.
The IDE uses SetCurrentDir() a lot. But the calls look like this:
Other function calls...
SetCurrentDir('C:\DelphiProj\');
SetCurrentDir('C:\DelphiProj');
SetCurrentDir('C:\DelphiProj\');
SetCurrentDir('C:\DelphiProj');
SetCurrentDir('C:\DelphiProj\');
... (about 10 times more)
Other function calls
SetCurrentDir('C:\DelphiProj\Test');
SetCurrentDir('C:\DelphiProj\Test\');
SetCurrentDir('C:\DelphiProj\Test');
SetCurrentDir('C:\DelphiProj\Test\');
SetCurrentDir('C:\Delphi\Proj\Test');
The DelphiSpeedUp simply removes the tailing backslash and compares it to
the old value.
The new ExpandFileName() uses a hash table that is cleared after a
(different) SetCurrentDir/SetCurrentDirecoryA/W call.
And some more function.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Andreas Hausladen writes:
>What was slow that is now faster?
For example
Great details. I am still not sure what functionality in Delphi 6 I would
expect to happen any faster than it already does. Perhaps the file
dialogs and opening projects? (Based on your list.)
I also assume that installed DelphiSpeedUp has no impact on generated
code. (IOW, the original RTL functions are still used by apps
generated with Delphi.)
Thanks for the clarifications.
--
Jon Robertson
Borland Certified Advanced Delphi 7 Developer

Jon Robertson writes:
Great details. I am still not sure what functionality in Delphi 6 I would
expect to happen any faster than it already does. Perhaps the file
dialogs and opening projects? (Based on your list.)
The IDE will start faster because I temporary disable the
CheckDuplicateUnits calls. But after the IDE is loaded the original code
is restored.
I also assume that installed DelphiSpeedUp has no impact on generated
code.
You are right. DelphiSpeedUp does not change anything for the generated
code.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Re: Help not working for Delphi Win32 projects

Sarah writes:
BDS 2006 Architect with Update 2 and DelphiSpeedUp:

If I create a Win32 (new) project and click on a form or controls on
a form and then click F1, nothing happens!
I see the same. But Shift-F1 or Ctrl-F1 or Alt-F1 or AltGr-F1 all work,
so it is not a big problem :-)
--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
BlockCAD: web.telia.com/~u16122508/proglego.htm

Anders Isaksson writes:
I see the same. But Shift-F1 or Ctrl-F1 or Alt-F1 or AltGr-F1 all work,
so it is not a big problem :-)
Looks like they gave us everything except the mere F1
Time to celebrate! ;)

Andreas Hausladen writes:
You are right. DelphiSpeedUp does not change anything for the generated
code.
Is there any other setup that can affect the generated executables as well?
I mean, instead of manually replacing functions in Delphi source and manually recompiling Delphi source.
Thanks,
Sarah

Sarah writes:
Is there any other setup that can affect the generated executables as
well? I mean, instead of manually replacing functions in Delphi source
and manually recompiling Delphi source.
You could load the DelphiSpeedUp.dll in your application. Bot for this you
must compile with runtime packages (at least "rtl").
<code>
unit SpeedUp;
interface
uses
Windows;
implementation
initialization
LoadLibrary('DelphiSpeedUp7.dll');
end.
</code>
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Re: Help not working for Delphi Win32 projects

Or even better:
<code>
procedure DSUDummy; external 'DelphiSpeedUp6.dll' name 'Dummy';
initialization
DSUDummy; // does nothing but exists
end;
</code>