Re: What to do with Delphi...

2006-02-12 06:02:38 AM
delphi9
lksdkljsdjfd writes:
1. Borland should drop development and support for it.

Who wouldn't buy it then?
Pretty much everyone, I'd expect.
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]
Have questions?: www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Re: What to do with Delphi...

Danijel Tkalcec [RTC] writes:
Those developers also need to eat, pay their bills, etc.
But you mentioned that you would work for free for the new Delphi
company. Many people would do the same for an open source Delphi, to
improve the development tool that they love and use for their living.

Re: What to do with Delphi...

At 00:14:37, 12.02.2006, Danijel Tkalcec [RTC] writes:
"Christopher Burke" writes:
>Danijel Tkalcec [RTC] writes:
>>You need money to pay your bills, feed your kids, even to take a
>>break in a "shit-house" (costs 30c in Germany).
>
>30c for a copy of Delphi...

Btw ... in case it wasn't clear what I meant ...

In Germany, if you want to go to the Toilet in a McDonalds restautrant,
you should take at least 30c to pay the "lady" which sits in front of
the Toilet.
No, you don't.
I have been in public or McDonald's toilets in Germany often enough, but
one seldom has to pay. It is customary to pay anyway, though, as a
courtesy to the lady (or gentleman) sitting there. Many toilets in
McDonald's don't even have people sitting in front of them at all.
--
Ramona

Re: What to do with Delphi...

Danijel Tkalcec [RTC] writes:
Ok, here's our plan:

1. Contact Borland and persuade them to give us their source code
with all copyrights for free.

2. Contact all Borland IDE Team members and persuade them to sign a
10-year contract to work on the new IDEs for free.
Your plan won't work, but read the OP again. I think it is insightful.

Re: What to do with Delphi...

1. Borland should drop development and support for it.
2. Drop the price to $250.00.
3. Announce that it will be sold for 2 (pick a number if
you don't like 2) years more, then released to the
open source community.
Who wouldn't buy it then? Give me one good reason.
What do you think Microsoft's reaction will be? Wouldn't
this threaten sales of Visual Studio? Wouldn't Microsoft
have to step in and purchase it?
Comments?

Re: What to do with Delphi...

"lksdkljsdjfd" writes:
Comments?
Unless you have $100M to buy Borland IDEs, stop thinking about things you
have no control over. We all know that customers would always like to get
everything as cheap as possible (hopefuly Open Source), but that is not how
this World works. You need money to pay your bills, feed your kids, even to
take a break in a "shit-house" (costs 30c in Germany).
Delphi as Open Source is {*word*99}.
--
Danijel Tkalcec - Team RTC
www.realthinclient.org

Re: What to do with Delphi...

>Comments?
Or, as Ferengi's 12th rule of Acquisition says:
"Anything worth doing is worth doing for money."
--
Danijel Tkalcec - Team RTC
www.realthinclient.org

Re: What to do with Delphi...

"Alvaro GP" writes:
Danijel Tkalcec [RTC] writes:

>Delphi as Open Source is {*word*99}.

Maybe not. Think that there are a lot of passionate people in the
Delphi community. I think that it would be a very active open source
project.
Those developers also need to eat, pay their bills, etc.
In other words, they also need money.
So ... unless you have the knowledge, the time and the WILL to take this
project and work on it for free, for the rest of your life, you should stop
dreaming about Delphi as Open Source, because ... it won't happen.

"Christopher Burke" writes:
Danijel Tkalcec [RTC] writes:
>You need money to pay your bills, feed your kids, even to take a break in
>a "shit-house" (costs 30c in Germany).
>
>Delphi as Open Source is {*word*99}.

30c for a copy of Delphi...
If you think you can have it for 30c,
go ahead and make an offer to Borland.
--
Danijel Tkalcec - Team RTC
www.realthinclient.org

Re: What to do with Delphi...

"Christopher Burke" writes:
Danijel Tkalcec [RTC] writes:
>You need money to pay your bills, feed your kids, even to take a break in
>a "shit-house" (costs 30c in Germany).

30c for a copy of Delphi...
Btw ... in case it wasn't clear what I meant ...
In Germany, if you want to go to the Toilet in a McDonalds restautrant, you
should take at least 30c to pay the "lady" which sits in front of the
Toilet. If you ask me, that is a lot of money, just to flush the stuff you
have just eaten (for which you also paid a reasonable ammount).
--
Danijel Tkalcec - Team RTC
www.realthinclient.org

Re: What to do with Delphi...

"Alvaro GP" writes:
Danijel Tkalcec [RTC] writes:

>Those developers also need to eat, pay their bills, etc.

But you mentioned that you would work for free for the new Delphi
company. Many people would do the same for an open source Delphi, to
improve the development tool that they love and use for their living.
Ok, here's our plan:
1. Contact Borland and persuade them to give us their source code with all
copyrights for free.
2. Contact all Borland IDE Team members and persuade them to sign a 10-year
contract to work on the new IDEs for free.
When you're through, count me in.
--
Danijel Tkalcec - Team RTC
www.realthinclient.org

Re: What to do with Delphi...

"Alvaro GP" writes:
Your plan won't work, but read the OP again. I think it is insightful.
It's not my plan, it was supposed to be "our" plan. I just wanted to show
you that Delphi as Open Source can not work out. And the bottom line is:

"Ramona van Riet" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
At 00:14:37, 12.02.2006, Danijel Tkalcec [RTC] writes:

>"Christopher Burke" writes:
>>Danijel Tkalcec [RTC] writes:
>>>You need money to pay your bills, feed your kids, even to take a
>>>break in a "shit-house" (costs 30c in Germany).
>>
>>30c for a copy of Delphi...
>
>Btw ... in case it wasn't clear what I meant ...
>
>In Germany, if you want to go to the Toilet in a McDonalds restautrant,
>you should take at least 30c to pay the "lady" which sits in front of
>the Toilet.

No, you don't.

I have been in public or McDonald's toilets in Germany often enough, but
one seldom has to pay. It is customary to pay anyway, though, as a
courtesy to the lady (or gentleman) sitting there. Many toilets in
McDonald's don't even have people sitting in front of them at all.
I don't know about you, but I usually leave at least 30c before I leave. I
know that those 30c won't kill me and it doesn't look much if someone gave
that to me, but ... if they have 100 customers a day (and I am sure they have
more), multiplied by 20 days, makes about 600 EUR/Month extra. that is just
the cash they get "out of courtesy".
And my point is ...
If "new Delphi company" has only 100.000 Delphi developers willing to buy
new Delphi versions every year (that's a lot less than 10% of the number of
developers currently using Delphi) and there's only 1 new version per year,
how much money would they get for selling those 100.000 copies if they
charge $1.000 per copy?
$100M
Do I need to say more?
--
Danijel Tkalcec - Team RTC
www.realthinclient.org

Re: What to do with Delphi...

"lksdkljsdjfd" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
1. Borland should drop development and support for it.

2. Drop the price to $250.00.

3. Announce that it will be sold for 2 (pick a number if
you don't like 2) years more, then released to the
open source community.

Who wouldn't buy it then? Give me one good reason.
What do you think Microsoft's reaction will be? Wouldn't
this threaten sales of Visual Studio? Wouldn't Microsoft
have to step in and purchase it?
Why would 1,2,3 above cause a company to want to buy Delphi? There is no
chain of logic I can see.
Delphi, like Windows has its being because it is commercial. Open Source
could not have produced Delphi- only a company which can make those
difficult decisions and follow them through. To make a big product like
Delphi, you need full time staff with minds concentrated by commercial
pressure.
M$ has nothing to fear from Delphi and no reason to buy it. M$ has its own
fears and drives, but Delphi is irrelevant. Visual Studio never will be
threatened in its own space by any other IDE, because only with VS can
business follow the one true M$ path.
Open Source software is slow to respond to change - we have Linux still
trying to be Windows on the desktop, and antiquated open source development
tools. If you let something go open source, it will soon be no competition
at all.
Roger Lascelles