XP SP2

Has there been any testing done on XP SP2 for IBEventAlerter and is there a
problem with it?
Dixon Epperson

Re:XP SP2

Dixon Epperson writes:
Has there been any testing done on XP SP2 for IBEventAlerter and is
there a problem with it?
XP SP 2 hasn't been certified for any version of IB yet, since no
version of IB has been released after XP SP 2.
However, I wouldn't expect any problems beyond possible firewall
configuration issues. And I wouldn't expect those with IB 7.1,
certainly, maybe not with earlier versions, either.
-Craig
Please read and follow Borland's rules for the user of their
news server: info.borland.com/newsgroups/guide.html

Re:XP SP2

Has anybody actually had any problems with it? I have read lots of people
discussing problems but who say they've never installed it. I have installed
it and see no problems thus far.
--
Yours
Rhys

Re:XP SP2

Not me. I have loaed it onto a Toshiba Satellite P25 laptop (XP Home - 17in
screen btw...), a Sony VAIO desktop (XP Pro), and a Dell Inspiron laptop (XP
Home). I have had 1 application (RIO music manager) that made the firewall
pop-up a box asking if I wanted to block/unblock. Selecting unblock leaves
it in it is exception list (with no further problems).
Jeff
"Rhys Sage" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

"J. Clarke" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Not me. I have loaed it onto a Toshiba Satellite P25 laptop (XP Home - 17in
screen btw...), a Sony VAIO desktop (XP Pro), and a Dell Inspiron laptop
(XP Home). I have had 1 application (RIO music manager) that made the
firewall pop-up a box asking if I wanted to block/unblock. Selecting
unblock leaves it in it is exception list (with no further problems).
Pretty much what I figured. Loads of people not talking through their
mouths.
I saw the list of things that weren't supposed to work with SP SP2 but
honestly, everything I have from that list, seems to work just fine. ICQ's
supposed not to work but works well. I had to allow it but that was all.
--

Rhys Sage writes:
Has anybody actually had any problems with it? I have read lots of people
discussing problems but who say they've never installed it. I have installed
it and see no problems thus far.

I installed it and Explorer started GPFing.
Then I re-formatted disk, did a clean install of XPSP1, then SP2, then
everything else. It works fine now.
LP,
Dejan

Re:XP SP2

"Rhys Sage" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Has anybody actually had any problems with it? I have read lots of people
After SP2, suddenly the Firmware Dowload feature of the HP Laserjet 1000 I
had (FWDL.exe) suddenly "locked up" the printer after it had put a document
of 37 bytes in the queue with name "FirmwareDownload". Several others has
the same experience.
HP called me 1 minute after I emailed them about it and told me how to solve
it (get rid of FWDL basically).

Re:XP SP2

Rhys Sage writes:
Has anybody actually had any problems with it? I have read lots of
people discussing problems but who say they've never installed it.
I've installed it and see no problems thus far.
I installed it and I have no problem. Everything looks fine.
Wien.

Re:XP SP2

"Rhys Sage" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote
Has anybody actually had any problems with it?
A number of installation programs no longer work;
Adobe's Acrobat Reader updates and several of my Delphi
third party tools (that use InstallShield).
JoeH

Re:XP SP2

I saw the list of things that weren't supposed to work with SP SP2 but
honestly, everything I have from that list, seems to work just fine. ICQ's
supposed not to work but works well. I had to allow it but that was all.
It wasn't they they didn't work, it was that they were affected by SP2.
Obviously ICQ was affected, or you wouldn't have had to clear it.
Oliver Townshend

Re:XP SP2

Rhys Sage writes:
Has anybody actually had any problems with it?
Maybe, but still investigating.
One of our training staff allowed Windows Update to automagically
install SP2 on her laptop. Directly after this, any
QuickReport that was previewed threw an AV. Un-installing SP2 fixed the
problem.
However, I tried this on another machine with SP2 applied, but all the
reports worked as expected. I need to investigate further to see
whether SP2 was to blame or whether this is a red herring.
--
Cheers,
David Clegg

Re:XP SP2

One of our training staff allowed Windows Update to automagically
install SP2 on her laptop. Directly after this, any
QuickReport that was previewed threw an AV. Un-installing SP2 fixed the
problem.

However, I tried this on another machine with SP2 applied, but all the
reports worked as expected. I need to investigate further to see
whether SP2 was to blame or whether this is a red herring.
It probably changed her TEMP drive setting.
Oliver Townshend

Re:XP SP2

"Oliver Townshend" <oliver_at_zip_com_au>writes
>I saw the list of things that weren't supposed to work with SP SP2 but
>honestly, everything I have from that list, seems to work just fine.
>ICQ's
>supposed not to work but works well. I had to allow it but that was all.

It wasn't they they didn't work, it was that they were affected by SP2.
Obviously ICQ was affected, or you wouldn't have had to clear it.
Ah. I read it that they had problems. I would expect a firewall to enquire about
new software. Actually, I am surprised the firewall doesn't go further and
block all executables unless they'd been given explicit permission to run.
--

J. Clarke writes:
Not me. I have loaed it onto a Toshiba Satellite P25 laptop (XP Home - 17in
screen btw...),
Hey, I have got a P25 as well, but with XP Pro... no problems with XP SP2
in the few weeks I have had it installed. Of course, I don't use its
firewall (preferring ZoneAlarm instead).
--
"Darmok and Jalad, at Tenagra"

Re:XP SP2

"Richard Grossman" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
J. Clarke writes:

>Not me. I have loaed it onto a Toshiba Satellite P25 laptop (XP Home -
>17in screen btw...),

Hey, I have got a P25 as well, but with XP Pro... no problems with XP SP2 in
the few weeks I have had it installed. Of course, I don't use its firewall
(preferring ZoneAlarm instead).
I quite like the firewall with XP. I can not say that I can see any point in
logging port probes though.
I don't see much difference between ZA firewall and XP's firewall to be
honest except that XP's firewall won't fall flat on its face, unlike ZA
(which has, in my experience).