dpr files for Delphi

2004-10-20 09:20:17 PM
delphi170
In "old times" I could double-click on a dpr file and it would bring up
Delphi. With Delphi 8 and diamondback I always get an error that the file
couldn't be opened (yes, the dpr extension is now registered for one of
these). Same problem with bdsproj files.
I've got a feeling that this is due to some lack of response in due time
from bds.exe (the IDE) to explorer.exe, that it is handling the file. Is
it my computer that is slow on starting or do everybody else see the
same?
Regards
Uffe

Re:dpr files for Delphi

Uffe Kousgaard writes:
In "old times" I could double-click on a dpr file and it would bring
up Delphi. With Delphi 8 and diamondback I always get an error that the file
couldn't be opened (yes, the dpr extension is now registered for one
of these). Same problem with bdsproj files.
I get a message saying the file can not be found, not that it can not be
opened, although I guess the former implies the latter <g>
..and the project doesn't appear in the IDE either, when Diamondback
has fully started.
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]
Newsgroup guidelines: www.borland.com/newsgroups/guide.html

Re:dpr files for Delphi

"Dave Nottage [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

I get a message saying the file can not be found, not that it can not be
opened, although I guess the former implies the latter <g>
Yes, that may also be what I actually see.
..and the project doesn't appear in the IDE either, when Diamondback
has fully started.
So what's the big idea in registering the file extensions for BDS.exe?

Re:dpr files for Delphi

Someone needs to write a Delphi launch tool which you then register against
DPR and PAS, overriding Delphi. The launch tool could examine the file and
try to workout if its Delphi 5,7,8,9 or whatever. Then launch the relevant
version of Delphi. Or simpler just ask you which version of Delphi to open
it in. That would be cool.
"Uffe Kousgaard" <look_at_www.routeware.dk>writes

Chris Brooksbank in <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Someone needs to write a Delphi launch tool which you then register
against DPR and PAS, overriding Delphi.
I think Marc Hoffman already did. Might be in CodeCentral.
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
BorCon2004, all info in one place! info.borland.com/conf2004

Re:dpr files for Delphi

Chris Brooksbank writes:
Someone needs to write a Delphi launch tool which you then register
against DPR and PAS, overriding Delphi. The launch tool could examine
the file and try to workout if its Delphi 5,7,8,9 or whatever. Then
launch the relevant version of Delphi. Or simpler just ask you which
version of Delphi to open it in. That would be cool.
If you right-click on the DPR file, doesn't Windows Explorer gives you
that option under 'Open With' menu?
If it does not, why can not you throw a shortcut to BDS and a shortcut to
the other Delphi version into the 'Send To' folder?
Wien.

Re:dpr files for Delphi

Erwien Saputra writes:
If you right-click on the DPR file, doesn't Windows Explorer gives you
that option under 'Open With' menu?
XP does by default. Before that you have to hold alt (or is it shift?)
when right-clicking.
--
Leonel
www.techtips.com.br

Re:dpr files for Delphi

Leonel writes:
Erwien Saputra writes:

>If you right-click on the DPR file, doesn't Windows Explorer gives
>you that option under 'Open With' menu?

XP does by default. Before that you have to hold alt (or is it shift?)
when right-clicking.
Shift, IIRC.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
"In this world, nothing is certain but death and taxes."