Re: Delphi What if...

2004-06-16 02:35:05 AM
delphi239
>No serious company is doing real work with .net, mostly test projects.
That's just nonsense. You are either ignorant or in denial. A lot of
companies have migrated to .NET for de novo projects.
Our company sells software components to software companies. Our product is
100% C#, formerly 100% Delphi. And we've got a LOT of serious companies
integrating our .NET software into very expensive commercial systems.

Re: Delphi What if...

"Forrester recently surveyed 878 IT decision-makers at North American
Ok, admittedly, Forrester's research is not as credible as Dennis Landi's 64
bit Delphi polls, but still....

Re: Delphi What if...

"BOB-O-MATIC" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>>No serious company is doing real work with .net, mostly test projects.

That's just nonsense. You are either ignorant or in denial. A lot of
companies have migrated to .NET for de novo projects.

Our company
And your company is?
>sells software components
And your products are what exactly? Got a URL to share
>to software companies. Our product is
100% C#, formerly 100% Delphi. And we've got a LOT of serious companies
integrating our .NET software into very expensive commercial systems.

Perhaps, you would like to back up the courage of your assertions by
actually telling us who you are, and what exactly you are selling? Since
appears that you are definitely selling something and definitely have
personal stake in the success of .NET....
-d

Re: Delphi What if...

And your company is?
And your products are what exactly? Got a URL to share
You looked! You looked! I knew you would....

Re: Delphi What if...

BOB-O-MATIC writes:
>And your company is?
>And your products are what exactly? Got a URL to share

You looked! You looked! I knew you would....
W00t, nice to have yet another troll identified. Thanks!
*plonk*
Will
--
Want a 64-bit Delphi compiler for AMD64 / IA-32e? Vote here--
qc.borland.com/wc/wc.exe/details

Re: Delphi What if...

"Will DeWitt Jr." <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes news:40cf4b53
Want a 64-bit Delphi compiler for AMD64 / IA-32e? Vote here--

qc.borland.com/wc/wc.exe/details
I see the vote count is now up to 428!
Well done.
-d

Re: Delphi What if...

W00t, nice to have yet another troll identified. Thanks!
What is a troll?

Re: Delphi What if...

Derek,
I thought I read in a post a while back, that you never actually used D8.
Maybe that has changed?
Jeff
"Derek Davidson" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in
message news:40caf50d$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
John Jacobson writes:

>The long-term costs are very high. Poor documentation,

Like when Delphi 8 was introduced?

>non-existent QA

Like the need for three updates to Delphi 8 in the first few months after
it's
release?

I don't mean to bash Delphi 8 here, I could have used any number of
commercial products to highlight the weakness in your argument, but
using Delphi 8 enables me to remain on-topic at least <g>.

Your rabid dismissal of open source does you little credit. There are
any number of successfull open source projects and they all seem to
have the one vital factor that makes them a success. Not that you,
presumably, would be interested.

--
Derek Davidson
www.enterpriseblue.com

Re: Delphi What if...

BOB-O-MATIC writes:
Ok, admittedly, Forrester's research is not as credible as Dennis
Landi's 64 bit Delphi polls, but still....
<Pfffft!>
Dang! There goes another keyboard.
--
Cheers,
David Clegg

Re: Delphi What if...

On 15-Jun-04, BOB-O-MATIC said:
"Forrester recently surveyed 878 IT decision-makers at North American
enterprises. Forty-eight percent represent enterprises with 1,000 to
4,999 employees, and 52% represent companies with 5,000 or more
employees. On average, these enterprises increased their IT budgets
by 2.4% over 2003, up from the average of 1.7% growth projected for
2004 at the end of this past year."
OK, so your statement is only supportable in connection with big
business. That clarifies it a bit.
--
Bill
--------

Re: Delphi What if...

Jeff Molloy writes:
I thought I read in a post a while back, that you never actually used
D8.

Maybe that has changed?
I haven't bought Delphi 8 but Borland produced a demo version recently that I
installed and took a look at. I saw nothing that would compel me to
move from C#.
I understand I can take some of my old Delphi code and *try* to
recompile it under Delphi 8 but it is not as easy as some would have us
believe. That aside, I think .NET apps should be written with .NET in
mind. Ergo, a complete re-write for any product that I do decide to
update to .NET.
But in any case, what has this to do with the comments I made about D8?
The statements I made are common knowledge and hardly something that
require working knowledge of the product at hand.
--
Derek Davidson
www.enterpriseblue.com
For the world's EASIEST Help Desk software
Now Verified for Microsoft Windows Server 2003

Re: Delphi What if...

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 14:36:19 -0400, "BOB-O-MATIC"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
>"Forrester recently surveyed 878 IT decision-makers at North American

Ok, admittedly, Forrester's research is not as credible as Dennis Landi's 64
bit Delphi polls, but still....

MEOW!................
Oz
--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Re: Delphi What if...

Hello BOB-O-MATIC,
That's just nonsense. You are either ignorant or in denial. A lot of
companies have migrated to .NET for de novo projects.
I usually prefer to use the old system until the second service pack for
the new ones arrives :)
--
With best regards,
Dzmitry Piatrushenia

Re: Delphi What if...

Common knowledge? You were wrong. You said:
Like the need for three updates to Delphi 8 in the first few months after
it's release?
This is not true; there were two updates.
In another newsgroup you claimed that Delphi 8 did not ship with a command
line compiler; this was also wrong.
So I'd suggest that you reconsider Jeff's point -- it is best to
save your comments for things you know about.
-Craig
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : delphi.weblogs.com
InterBase Performance Monitor -- Analyze and control your IB7
server: delphi.weblogs.com/IBPerformanceMonitor

Re: Delphi What if...

"Craig Stuntz [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM [a.k.a. vertexsoftware.com]>
writes news:XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
So I'd suggest that you reconsider Jeff's point -- it is best to
save your comments for things you know about.
His posts also give me the impression that they are derived from an
incomplete information set.