My first impression on Delphi 8 - Borland has done a good job

2004-04-06 03:12:27 PM
delphi31
I have done a test with Delphi 8 Pro for .NET
converting a Win 32 Delphi 5 application
with more than 50 forms / units
and now that application works in VCL .NET
Initially for the test I have commented / deleted
some line of codes (routine that uses PChar, Windows API etc.)
But the entire application now work within D8
Comments:
PROS: I think the changes required to convert to .NET are
little and Borland have done a good job
CONS: the Delphi 8 IDE sometimes crash, and I hope
Borland will fix soon

Re:My first impression on Delphi 8 - Borland has done a good job

"Tony C." <no>writes:
CONS: the Delphi 8 IDE sometimes crash, and I hope Borland will fix soon
It would help to know under what conditions. Please either enter a
report in QC:
qc.borland.com
or post to:
borland.public.delphi.ide.general
--
Dave Nottage (TeamB)

Tony C. writes:
CONS: the Delphi 8 IDE sometimes crash, and I hope
Borland will fix soon
Make sure that you apply Update 2.
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com

"Tony C." <no>schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I have done a test with Delphi 8 Pro for .NET ...
What is the HArdware you're using ?
I first installed Delphi 8 on my old 850MHz Notebook which was fine for D6/D7 but
was terribly, if not unusable with D8.
Now I am going to install it on my new Inspiron8600 ... I hope I will see/feel
the difference ;-)
Levend.

Re:My first impression on Delphi 8 - Borland has done a good job

Well, I installed D8/Architect on my dual 3.0 gigahertz box with 2 gigs of
RAM and ... it screams.
"Levend Sener" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>I have done a test with Delphi 8 Pro for .NET ...
What is the HArdware you're using ?

I first installed Delphi 8 on my old 850MHz Notebook which was fine for D6/D7
but
was terribly, if not unusable with D8.
Now I am going to install it on my new Inspiron8600 ... I hope I'll
see/feel
the difference ;-)

Levend.

"Dennis Landi" <none[at]none.com>schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Well, I installed D8/Architect on my dual 3.0 gigahertz box with 2 gigs of
RAM and ... it screams.
Well ... the average Developer workstation ;-)
Since I replaced my Desktop through a Laptop I have no chance to enjoy true
dual CPU power ... I will wait for the hyperthreaded Pentium M to have the
best of both worlds ;-)

"JED" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Levend Sener writes:

>Now I am going to install it on my new Inspiron8600 ... I hope I'll
>see/feel the difference ;-)

runs really well on my inspiron 8500. Have a gig of ram though.
That's what I have too ... :-))

"David Clegg" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Levend Sener writes:

>>Well, I installed D8/Architect on my dual 3.0 gigahertz box with 2
>>gigs of RAM and ... it screams.

>Well ... the average Developer workstation ;-)

So it is as I suspected. I *am* a significantly below average developer
:-(
I can imagine some companies which would be very happy to have a 2x3GHz/2GB
box as a server ...

Levend Sener writes:
>Well, I installed D8/Architect on my dual 3.0 gigahertz box with 2
>gigs of RAM and ... it screams.
Well ... the average Developer workstation ;-)
So it is as I suspected. I *am* a significantly below average developer
:-(
--
Cheers,
David Clegg

<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
>Well, I installed D8/Architect on my dual 3.0 gigahertz box with 2 gigs of
>RAM and ... it screams.
Well ... the average Developer workstation ;-)
Interesting that you should mention that. At work I was recently upgraded to a
3GHz P4 with Hyperthreading and 2 GB of RAM and dual 19 inch LCD monitors.
Delphi is a lot more fun with dual monitors! And that hardware makes my
newsreader absolutely scream. It really shines on that kind of hardware because
of it is multithreading and the fact that it uses NexusDB as it is database
backend.
Vroom, vroom!
--
***Free Your Mind***
Posted with JSNewsreader 0.9.3.704

Captain Jake writes:
Delphi is a lot more fun with dual monitors!
Anything is a lot more fun with dual monitors <g>
Now that I have become accustomed to two, I feel I am slumming it when
stuck with only one.
--
Cheers,
David Clegg
dclegg_at_ebetonline_dot_com
cc.borland.com/codecentral/ccweb.exe/author
Quality Central. The best way to bug Borland about bugs.
qc.borland.com
"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's
even
remotely true." - Homer Simpson

"Captain Jake" <johnjac76[nospam]@comcast.net>schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Delphi is a lot more fun with dual monitors!
I made that experience with 2 x 21" CRTs and Delphi 6.
Unfortunately Delphi 8 doesn't allow to see form design and source code at the
same time anymore.
With Delphi prior to Delphi 8 it was great to have source on on screen and form
design on the other.

Re:My first impression on Delphi 8 - Borland has done a good job

I'm testing Delphi 8 on a P4 3.0 - 1 GB RAM and works well.
"Tony C." <no>schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>I have done a test with Delphi 8 Pro for .NET ...
What is the HArdware you're using ?

I first installed Delphi 8 on my old 850MHz Notebook which was fine for D6/D7
but
was terribly, if not unusable with D8.
Now I am going to install it on my new Inspiron8600 ... I hope I'll
see/feel
the difference ;-)

Levend.

Re:My first impression on Delphi 8 - Borland has done a good job

Yes, I have installed Update 2.