PRINCE 2

2004-02-17 12:02:32 AM
delphi134
What would the panels view be on being told that their new boss was a PRINCE
2 practitioner and would be introducing the methodology.
We are a team of 4 developers in a company of 42 who, up to now have had no
real problems following our own, albeit informal, methodology.
Keith

Re:PRINCE 2

I, for one, would give the guy a chance. There are hundreds of different
methodologies, some good and some bad. They key to using all of the
different approaches is to use the one that works in the given situation. I
always have a bad feeling when someone says they are a <insert favorite
methodology here>practitioner, that tells me that they are going to use
that system regardless of its applicability to the given situation/project.
Who knows, maybe your new boss has analyzed the project, weighed the
different systems and determined that PRINCE 2 is the right one for the job.
Then again, maybe he is a PRINCE 2 zealot and sticks with it to the doom of
the project.
Floyd
"Keith Miller" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
What would the panels view be on being told that their new boss was a
PRINCE
2 practitioner and would be introducing the methodology.

We are a team of 4 developers in a company of 42 who, up to now have had
no
real problems following our own, albeit informal, methodology.

Keith

Re:PRINCE 2

Keith Miller writes:
cancelled - off topic
Consultant Software Engineer
TeamBUG support for UK-BUG
TeamMM support for ModelMaker

Re:PRINCE 2

Just curious, what would have been a better group?
Edwin
"Joanna Carter (TeamB)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Keith Miller writes:

cancelled - off topic

--
Joanna Carter (TeamB)

Edwin Walker writes:
| Just curious, what would have been a better group?
b.p.d.offtopic ?
Joanna
Consultant Software Engineer
TeamBUG support for UK-BUG
TeamMM support for ModelMaker

Re:PRINCE 2

"Oliver Townshend" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
I hate to disagree, but I think Prince 2 is very much on topic in this
newsgroup. it is about Project Management techniques for Delphi. Better
than questions on "Are you a cynic?" "C#Builder Personal", both on either
side of the banned thread.

I'd tend to agree with you if that is the case - the message disappeared
before I even had a chance to make my own mind up. I thought it must have
been something to do with the 'Artist formerly known as ...' to have been
treated so. As usual, the problem is inconsistency. One of the worst
examples I saw recently was a discussion on the price of petrol in the UK. I
beleive that moderators should only act if there is absolutely no question
of infringement, or if the poster is a serial offender. I must admit, I
didn't expect my post to last this long but then I am a confirmed cynic.
Although the question was partly intended to bring a bit of
light-heartedness into this place I thought it would not hurt for some
(including myself) to have a good hard look at ourselves.
Two observations so far. 1) Most of those who have responded seem to match
my judgement based on their posts until now. 2) The extreme cynics (again,
in my judgement) have not owned up :)
I vote for your Prince post to be reinstated at least so the rest of us can
see what is / is not considered acceptable. I offer my thread as a hostage
in its place.
Chris Burrows
CFB Software
www.cfbsoftware.com

[...]

Further to my previous post, I have just found the original post on Google. I
have to agree with you absolutely. All I can think is that the cancellation
was an innocent mistake due to some misunderstanding. If not, an explanation
would be appreciated.
Chris Burrows
CFB Software
www.cfbsoftware.com

Re:PRINCE 2

Chris Burrows writes:
Guys, this group is untended for discussion of Delphi non- tech, not other
products.
I let the Cynic thread go because it was not posted as a discussion starter,
merely a pointer to a questionnaire.
The C#Builder personal was a genuine mistake and has been dealt with.
Please take this to off-topic.
Joanna
Consultant Software Engineer
TeamBUG support for UK-BUG
TeamMM support for ModelMaker

Re:PRINCE 2

"Oliver Townshend" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
I hate to disagree, but I think Prince 2 is very much on topic in this
newsgroup. it is about Project Management techniques for Delphi. Better
than questions on "Are you a cynic?" "C#Builder Personal", both on either
side of the banned thread.

Oliver Townshend

>Edwin Walker writes:
>
>| Just curious, what would have been a better group?
>
>b.p.d.offtopic ?
>
>Joanna
>
>--
>Joanna Carter (TeamB)
>
>Consultant Software Engineer
>TeamBUG support for UK-BUG
>TeamMM support for ModelMaker

I was surprised to see it cancelled. I have re-posted onto B.P.O.T and have
had a few informative replies.
Keith

Re:PRINCE 2

Keith Miller writes:
| I was surprised to see it cancelled. I have re-posted onto B.P.O.T
| and have had a few informative replies.
Many thanks.
Joanna
Consultant Software Engineer
TeamBUG support for UK-BUG
TeamMM support for ModelMaker

Re:PRINCE 2

Joanna,
While I do not agree with you discussion to cancel the post, I do
respect it.
The original post clearly indicated that this was a methodology and not
a product, and I assume that it was related to Delphi.
I do not read Off-topic, the subject matter in that group tends to be
non-productive, but sometimes informative, with some cool links from time to
time and good laughs. But it does nothing for me as a programmer.
I look at it like this, Delphi.non-technical should help me become a
better Delphi programmer with insight on tools, methodologies, code
techniques, etc. If my boss saw me 'lurking' around off-topic, and read
some of the topics there, I'd think he would consider firing me, for
what he would think is goofing off on company time. But if he reads
non-tech, he could see that I was trying to improve myself, trying to learn.
Anyway, have a good day.

Edwin Walker writes:
| The original post clearly indicated that this was a methodology
| and not a product, and I assume that it was related to Delphi.
I too do not even touch off-topic, but that was the only group that 'fits'
the topic.
If it comes to OO methodologies, then b.p.d.oodesign or b.p.c#.oodesign are
suitable.
I wonder if we could persuade Borland to add a group to cater for analysis,
design and methodology? After all, they are trying to get us to look at ALM,
which should be language agnostic :-)
Joanna

"Joanna Carter (TeamB)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote
| Just curious, what would have been a better group?
b.p.d.offtopic ?
How about borland.public.delphi.thirdpartytools.general?
Rgds, JohnH

Re:PRINCE 2

"Joanna Carter (TeamB)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote
I wonder if we could persuade Borland to add a group to
cater for analysis, design and methodology?
Nope, the name is too long! <g>
Seriously though, besides your suggestion,
I would like to see "borland.public.algorithms"
But we also need to suggest which of the present 350 groups
could be removed or merged.
Regards, JohnH