Re: My opinion on .NET :)

2003-11-11 04:48:51 AM
delphi160
"Alexander Adam" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
hi,

"Thomas Miller" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:3fad8f32$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
>There are enough of us running into some 300 bugs or more that
>could live with Delphi 7 for the next 5 years if they would fix these.
>
>I could live with a promise of a Delphi 7 SP 1st Qt 2004 and another
>1st Qt 2005. This should get us Win32 people through for the next
>5 to 10 years. It would also make for the most stable Delphi
>version ever!!!!!

I must admit I never had any bug problems with Delphi. It is damn stable
(d6).
Well, you should just try to work with TLB (with large type libraries)
editor for example.
It was {*word*30}ed up since D5 and continues to be the same {*word*99} in D7.
And if there's a bug I have always found a workaround - that is our advantage
as programmers <g>
Yep, I found many 'tips' to work with mentioned above damn thing...one of
them - frequently export to IDL and then compile it using M$ IDL compiler
and re-import into Delphi's TLB editor it is time-consuming workaround.
I'm 90% of the time use M$ tools for type library definition, thought Delphi
has a tool that generally better (and definetly buggier) then M$ ones.
I consider Delphi 7 as *most unstable* IDE since D4. D5 is most stable one (except
TLB editor) and I work with Delphi since D2/3.

Re: My opinion on .NET :)

"Vadim K." <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
I consider Delphi 7 as *most unstable* IDE since D4. D5 is most stable one (except
TLB editor) and I work with Delphi since D2/3.
D7 is bad, but Delphi 6 was utterly *unusable*.
The big problem with Delphi 7 is that the breakpoints are forgotten and move to the
wrong places (not good bec. I use them instead of bookmarks, I need dozens of
bookmarks) and another thing is that the de{*word*81} lost a lot of its usefulness,
it forgets the contents of variables in case of an AV. D5 was much more useful
in that regard.
Of course, I have at least 10, 20 crashes a day in D7's IDE but I have always
assumed that they are my own fault. Not to mention the spectacular crashes when
exiting Delphi.
There are many things that are broken in D7's IDE but one learns to live with
them. Borland has stopped developing Delphi so I guess we'll just have to live
with it and hope that they'll open-source it, like Turbopower did. That would be
the most wonderful thing for us Delphi developers.

Re: My opinion on .NET :)

Frank Andreas de Groot writes:
Of course, I have at least 10, 20 crashes a day in D7's IDE but I have always
assumed that they are my own fault. Not to mention the spectacular crashes when
exiting Delphi.
Hey, really. You know that this is not normal for any program. My D7
crashes far less than D5, so I would say that something wrong with your
enviroment. Most likely 3 party tools/plug-ins. Try uninstalling some of
them and check the situation. I have had problems with SCM plug ins.
If that is not the case, try to do a clean install of D7.
David

Re: My opinion on .NET :)

David Smith writes:
Hey, really. You know that this is not normal for any program. My D7
crashes far less than D5, so I would say that something wrong with your
enviroment. Most likely 3 party tools/plug-ins.
Me too. I have been using Delphi 6 intensively the last year for all kinds of
programming and it hasn't crashed as much as a single time.
But I do get AVs occasionally when I close down Delphi, but who cares :)
In the beginning I had the {*word*193} experience that Delphi 6 just disappeared,
yes, just vanished from the screen. I have seen others too mention this,
but this problem is long gone in a mysterious way...
--
Ingvar Nilsen