Re: DK2 Pro Update 2 doesn't install

2005-03-12 03:14:35 PM
delphi240
See what Captain Jake posted in non-technical. here is para...
***
I installed SP2 just fine on D2005 Pro and I still have help available too.
IDE seems much faster, but still not as fast as D7, IMHO. Time will tell how
much better it is, if it is. I am running the full version now, without
uninstalling or disabling anything, and it seems as solid and responsive as
when I had update 1 and took out Together. So it appears some stuff might
have been fixed after all.
***
Seems he had Together turned off as per recommendation of Borland to avoid a
bug. Maybee this is the issue. There is also another post in non-tech
reporting install ok but IDE crashes all the time.
Well I am just about to be another marter and install on top of sp1 with
together turned off. But first i am going to do a re-boot on XP just incase
some garbage is{*word*154} around in memory!! opps and turn off my virus
scanner as well.
......I may be back let u know how it went!!
Tony
"Edwin Lau" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
I got a feeling that the installer couldn't detect the update 1 as being
valid for update 2.

Maybe tweaking the installer codes may just be all that is needed.

Edwin

"Charles Appel" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

>No add-ons of any kind on my system. I did a full install
>(Pro Version) with all personalities. Nothing has been turned
>off but no extra components or add-on packages. The only
>change I made was installing update 1.
>
>--
>Charles Appel
>"A generation which ignores history has no past - and no future."
>Robert Anson Heinlein

Re: DK2 Pro Update 2 doesn't install

Well 62 mins later I can report that it was a great failure!!
Process used D2005 with UPD1 already applied.
turned off virus scanner.
Fresh boot>login as Administrator>run update from command line with logging
enabled as per Brindha's instructions.
Chugged away for 62 mins.
checked ver still upd1.
System Windows XP Prof SP2 with latest security updates 3 March 2005.
I have looked at all files none updated/touched but all directories BDS down
and common files borland have been touched.
I did find in the temp work directory (localsettings/temp) that there seem
to be some left overs from UPD1 install??
I have the log file and jpg image of dir showing old files and I have dumped
version info from about box. I have zipped up and will send to Brindha.
This appears in log: Overwrite; Won't patch; REINSTALLMODE specifies all
files to be overwritten?
The property was set to:------
PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding REINSTALLMODE property. Its value is 'amus'.
Regards Tony
"

Re: DK2 Pro Update 2 doesn't install

Tony,
Looks like you got a little further than most of us.
By the way, Brindha did alert to me that there is actually two versions of
Update 1. One of which was released late last year and one which came
out at the same time as the other International version earlier this year.
I have the last year's Update 1 and it did not recognize it. Which version
of the Update 1 did you have ? When was it installed ?
Edwin

Re: DK2 Pro Update 2 doesn't install

Well it was worth the shot. Maybe I missread her message, I thought she
wanted everything re-installed. If it is just UPD1 & 2 I might be able to
give that a shot...I believe I had the original UPD1 patch applied to my
system.
Jeff
"Tony Wakefield" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
[...]

Jeff,
I applied the old UPD1 from way back last year and it works. I downloaded
the new UPD1 from the website and tried to applied and it failed like the
UPD2.
I believe those who applied the new UPD1 would have it work with the UPD2
but it does not apply to the old one.
Edwin
"J. Clarke" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Well it was worth the shot. Maybe I missread her message, I thought she
wanted everything re-installed. If it is just UPD1 & 2 I might be able to
give that a shot...I believe I had the original UPD1 patch applied to my
system.

Jeff

Re: DK2 Pro Update 2 doesn't install

"Edwin Lau" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Tony,

Looks like you got a little further than most of us.

By the way, Brindha did alert to me that there is actually two versions of
Update 1. One of which was released late last year and one which came
out at the same time as the other International version earlier this year.

I have the last year's Update 1 and it did not recognize it. Which version
of the Update 1 did you have ? When was it installed ?
I have the "original" update 1. I installed about a week or so after
it came out.
--
Charles Appel
"A generation which ignores history has no past - and no future."
Robert Anson Heinlein

Re: DK2 Pro Update 2 doesn't install

Edwin,
Yes I am on update 1 first version if thats the issue then I am not very
pleased, why the hell cant that check version at start of install.
I did try a second time and watched the build of all the new files in the
msi directory. It spends 55mins building the files appears to copy them then
deletes them all.
So I wonder if i am supposed to re-install upd1 2nd edition then upd2 or
re-install from scratch which is a pain. The readme implies that upd2 does
not require upd1 to be installed.
Roll on UPD3!!
Tony
"Edwin Lau" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Tony,

Looks like you got a little further than most of us.

By the way, Brindha did alert to me that there is actually two versions of
Update 1. One of which was released late last year and one which came
out at the same time as the other International version earlier this year.

I have the last year's Update 1 and it did not recognize it. Which version
of the Update 1 did you have ? When was it installed ?

Edwin

Re: DK2 Pro Update 2 doesn't install

I can not even get to reinstall using the current UPD1 which is available
on their website.
I have been in contact with Brindha via email and given her some
additionals she required, hopefully that would help us get this handle
soon.
I believe currently there is two paths to the UPD 2 upgrade :-
1) Have the original D2005 Install from CD or
2) Install the Jan 2005 UPD 1.
Option 1 is really a bad since the only way is to uninstall the current
version and installing
the original D2005.
Option 2 does not work if you already have the earlier UPD1 so it is back to
square one.
It be best if they have the full replacement installation as they did before
and ignore the current
checks.
Edwin
"Tony Wakefield" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Edwin,

Yes I am on update 1 first version if thats the issue then I am not very
pleased, why the hell cant that check version at start of install.
I did try a second time and watched the build of all the new files in the
msi directory. It spends 55mins building the files appears to copy them
then
deletes them all.
So I wonder if i am supposed to re-install upd1 2nd edition then upd2 or
re-install from scratch which is a pain. The readme implies that upd2 does
not require upd1 to be installed.

Roll on UPD3!!

Tony

Re: DK2 Pro Update 2 doesn't install

Edwin,
I think we are due for a new tea shirt one that fits this time my last one
was about 3 sizes to big so I won't wear it in public! A base ball cap and a
few cans of beer to pass the time whilst installing. Well I am off to bed
its 12:30 am here and cant face a re-install yet.

>Edwin,
>
>Yes I am on update 1 first version if thats the issue then I am not very
>pleased, why the hell cant that check version at start of install.
>I did try a second time and watched the build of all the new files in the
>msi directory. It spends 55mins building the files appears to copy them
then
>deletes them all.
>So I wonder if i am supposed to re-install upd1 2nd edition then upd2 or
>re-install from scratch which is a pain. The readme implies that upd2
>does
>not require upd1 to be installed.
>
>Roll on UPD3!!
>
>Tony

Re: DK2 Pro Update 2 doesn't install

Success.
I uninstalled D2005Prof (45mins) reInstalled (about 40mins) applied UPD2 (26
mins) OK. When it failed it took 62mins to install.
So can confirm that from me at least as i had UPD1 original December version
the install of UPD2 failed. Early Bird Catches the BUG!!
First impression loads full system in 3 mins used to be 4mins.
Seems to be a bug with Project options though it took about 3 mins to appear
although i suspect the form was hidden. I loaded a file/explorer window and
then minimised it and the Project options window appeared. Once it had
appeared I could close and it would appear as soon as I loaded it again.
Will investigate more. I think this may be my XP system loading things for
first time as I closed Delphi and re-started and now Project options comes
up ok also Delphi loaded much quicker must be XP building the pif files
after re-install??
Really going to bed now as its 3:15am.

>Well it was worth the shot. Maybe I missread her message, I thought she
>wanted everything re-installed. If it is just UPD1 & 2 I might be able to
>give that a shot...I believe I had the original UPD1 patch applied to my
>system.
>
>Jeff

Re: DK2 Pro Update 2 doesn't install

lol - Congrats! 45 minutes to uninstall?! So pretty close to an hour and
half to redo the whole thing....
[...]

I finally took the plunge and uninstalled D2005 and reinstall it again.
I had all those components list imported back to D2005 and installed
the Update 2. That worked but each time I open up a project, it just
hangs. It does still seems slow here. I sort of got better performance
with the Update 1.
I could be doing something wrong but it being about 3am here, it is
highly possible.
Now I am restoring the original Update 1 and hopes that everything
is back to normal. Good thing I made backups.
I'll wait for any official patches to try again.
Edwin

Re: DK2 Pro Update 2 doesn't install

<sigh>That doesn't sound too promising.....Get yourself some sleep!
Jeff
"Edwin Lau" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
I finally took the plunge and uninstalled D2005 and reinstall it again.
I had all those components list imported back to D2005 and installed
the Update 2. That worked but each time I open up a project, it just
hangs. It does still seems slow here. I sort of got better performance
with the Update 1.

I could be doing something wrong but it being about 3am here, it is
highly possible.

Now I am restoring the original Update 1 and hopes that everything
is back to normal. Good thing I made backups.

I'll wait for any official patches to try again.

Re: DK2 Pro Update 2 doesn't install

When you get that message, kill the msiexec process that is 4,780 or
somewhere around that number.
Your patch will then continue.
I did that trick, but my system did not patch.
Go figure, it worked with Update 1.
Paul
"J. Clarke" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Ah...one of the few newsgroups I hadn't subscribed to. I will watch your
post to see if anything happens.

Jeff