Re: [ANN] paxCompiler, beta version

2006-05-13 03:21:56 AM
delphi183
Alexander Baranovsky writes:
To learn more about paxCompiler, please visit site www.paxcompiler.com
One comment. The Header of the PaxCompiler web page reads paxScript :)
Cheers
Dean

Re: [ANN] paxCompiler, beta version

So PaxCompiler is a subset of PaxScripter? The reason why I ask is
that theorectically, it would not be too difficult to convert
PaxScripter to run under the FPC (Free Pascal Compiler). The FPC,
however, does not necessarily run on an Intel machine. If code that
compiled on PaxCompiler could also be used in PaxScripter, one could
build an application that runs on multiple platforms but would still be
faster on Intel systems.
Generally speaking, Pascal language supported by paxCompiler is not a subset
of paxPascal (paxScript's Pascal). For example, paxCompiler's Pascal
supports pointer types, but paxPascal does not support it. paxPascal and
paxCompiler's Pascal have common subset, and this is subset of Object
Pascal.
paxScript already is compatible with FPC.
A.
"Dean Hill" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>сообщи?сообщила ?новостях следующе?
Alexander Baranovsky writes:

>I think this is a matter of taste. paxScript supports a set of
>non-strictly typed languages. These non-strictly typed languages
>provide a laconic form of your scripts. (You can read more about
>paxPascal language (supported by paxScript) at the page:
>
>www.paxscript.com/pascal_features.htm
>
>paxCompiler will support only strictly-typed languages. In
>particular, paxCompiler will not support JavaScript.

So PaxCompiler is a subset of PaxScripter? The reason why I ask is
that theorectically, it would not be too difficult to convert
PaxScripter to run under the FPC (Free Pascal Compiler). The FPC,
however, does not necessarily run on an Intel machine. If code that
compiled on PaxCompiler could also be used in PaxScripter, one could
build an application that runs on multiple platforms but would still be
faster on Intel systems.

Thanks

Dean

Re: [ANN] paxCompiler, beta version

One comment. The Header of the PaxCompiler web page reads paxScript :)
Sorry, it seems I do not understand. Which the paxCompiler site's page you
mean? :-)
A.
"Dean Hill" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>сообщи?сообщила ?новостях следующе?
Alexander Baranovsky writes:

>To learn more about paxCompiler, please visit site www.paxcompiler.com

One comment. The Header of the PaxCompiler web page reads paxScript :)

Cheers

Dean

Re: [ANN] paxCompiler, beta version

Alexander Baranovsky writes:
>3) How optimized is paxCompiler --compared to native Delphi
>amd paxScript?

Current version of paxCompiler is not optimized. In average,
paxCompiler slower than native Delphi in 3 times.
How does paxCompiler compare to paxScript --speedwise?

Re: [ANN] paxCompiler, beta version

How does paxCompiler compare to paxScript --speedwise?
I did not make detailed benchmarks regarding it. Preliminary results show
that paxCompiler is more fast than paxScript in 10-40 times.
A.
"Adem" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>сообщи?сообщила ?новостях следующе?
Alexander Baranovsky writes:

>>3) How optimized is paxCompiler --compared to native Delphi
>>amd paxScript?
>
>Current version of paxCompiler is not optimized. In average,
>paxCompiler slower than native Delphi in 3 times.

How does paxCompiler compare to paxScript --speedwise?

Re: [ANN] paxCompiler, beta version

Alexander Baranovsky writes:
>How does paxCompiler compare to paxScript --speedwise?

I did not make detailed benchmarks regarding it. Preliminary results show
that paxCompiler is more fast than paxScript in 10-40 times.
Alexander,
I am sorry, I don't mean to pester you <g>
but, can you clarify:
a) In 10-40 cases, paxCompiler is faster than paxScript
b) On average, paxCompiler is 10-40 times faster than paxScript
Which one do you mean?

Re: [ANN] paxCompiler, beta version

a) In 10-40 cases, paxCompiler is faster than paxScript

b) On average, paxCompiler is 10-40 times faster than paxScript

Which one do you mean?
I mean that <paxCompiler speed>/ <paxScript speed>is in [10..40] on my
tests.
A.
"Adem" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>сообщи?сообщила ?новостях следующе?
Alexander Baranovsky writes:

>>How does paxCompiler compare to paxScript --speedwise?
>
>I did not make detailed benchmarks regarding it. Preliminary results show
>that paxCompiler is more fast than paxScript in 10-40 times.

Alexander,

I am sorry, I don't mean to pester you <g>

but, can you clarify:

a) In 10-40 cases, paxCompiler is faster than paxScript

b) On average, paxCompiler is 10-40 times faster than paxScript

Which one do you mean?

Re: [ANN] paxCompiler, beta version

Could you post some scenarios where these componets are/can
be best used.
I have used similar products to implement business rules, especially if they
can be extrordinarily complex. After something happens, I would call RunScript
(or whatever) and pass it the dataset. The script keyed to that event would
run and could access the dataset as required. Probably not the most original
or complex way to use a scripting engine, but it works quite well.
--
Tim Sullivan
Unlimited Intelligence Limited

Re: [ANN] paxCompiler, beta version

Alexander Baranovsky writes:
Sorry, it seems I do not understand. Which the paxCompiler site's
page you mean? :-)
When I go to www.paxcompiler.com, the Header on the Opera Window
says "paxScript - Opera" instead of "paxCompiler - Opera". In other
words, the <title>tag in the html page is incorrect.
Cheers
Dean

Re: [ANN] paxCompiler, beta version

Thanks, Dean!
This is fixed. :-)
A.
"Dean Hill" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>сообщи?сообщила ?новостях следующе?
Alexander Baranovsky writes:

>Sorry, it seems I do not understand. Which the paxCompiler site's
>page you mean? :-)

When I go to www.paxcompiler.com, the Header on the Opera Window
says "paxScript - Opera" instead of "paxCompiler - Opera". In other
words, the <title>tag in the html page is incorrect.

Cheers

Dean

Re: [ANN] paxCompiler, beta version

"Adem" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
I have always been curious and interested in paxScript (and
now then paxCompiler); but, I have always fallen short of
finding the proper place to use it/them.

Could you post some scenarios where these componets are/can
be best used.
At first I isn't a PaxScript user, but I use other script engines
(freeware) for my educational purpouse, although I envy the
great skills of paxscript like class script availability, etc. etc.
I've used script how engine of a CAD/CAM system and I delegate
to script almost all import/export filters, CAM elaboration, data
to Target transfer protocol because these shall be very
customizable program part. For customizabile I intend the
availability to change then to customer, grow basic funcitons
availability without change the bone exe program.

Re: [ANN] paxCompiler, beta version

paxCompiler is a compiler of Pascal programming language.
The key features of the paxCompiler are:
- The compiler generates machine code for Intel processor.
- It is possible to use the compiler as a scripting engine. You can embed
the compiler into host application, register host-defined types, routines,
variables and constants for the engine, read/write script-defined variables,
call script-defined functions etc. You can save/load compiled scripts
to/from a stream.
- The compiler is written in Delphi as a set of Delphi
components.TPaxCompiler, TPaxProgram and TPaxPascalLanguage are Delphi
components that allows you to embed the paxCompiler into Delphi, Kylix or
Borland C++ Builder application so you can customize and extend the
application without having to recompile it.
- Source code of paxCompiler is compatible with Free Pascal 2.0.
- The compiler implements a subset of Object Pascal language. The supported
types are: Boolean, Byte, Word, Integer, Double, Single, Char, AnsiString,
ShortString, Pointer, Record Types, Array Types, Subrange Types, Enumeration
Types and Procedural Types. The compiler supports such concepts as
namespaces, overloaded routines, nested routines, default parameters, units.
- The roadmap of the compiler includes: support of OOP, Basic compiler and C
compiler, cross-language programming, built-in assembler, de{*word*81}.
To learn more about paxCompiler, please visit site www.paxcompiler.com
Thank you.
Alexander Baranovsky
VIRT Laboratory