Re: Abandoning indy

2006-04-27 06:20:02 AM
delphi39
A.Thurson writes:

My mean pcomplain about indy is that:

* There are serious incompatibility between versions. You can never be
sure that your code will work with the following version. I have been
changing my code forever to adjust to every indy release that I am sick
of it at this times.
* The documentation and help is lacking a lot of details. Typical open
Source if you ask me.
* 90% of the problems have a solution: the magical phrase "download the
last snapshot" with all the problems that arise with this: inestable
code, incomplete procedures, uncertainity in the state of the
product...

How does a flakey Indy affect Intraweb? Isn't it built on Indy? Or is
the part it uses for IW stable? TIA
Sam

Re: Abandoning indy

You might also want to look at this thread:
XXXX@XXXXX.COM&displaymode=all" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">delphi.newswhat.com/geoxml/forumgetthread

Re: Abandoning indy

Sam Remek writes:
How does a flakey Indy affect Intraweb? Isn't it built on Indy?
Or is the part it uses for IW stable? TIA
IIRC, Intraweb has its own renamed set of Indy files so yes, IW has a
stable version that does not change with each Indy release.
JoeH

Re: Abandoning indy

"Donald Shimoda" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Used here and must say Synapse is the best. You have to carry the
multithread stuff, but one time you have it is solid like a rock. I
have MANY and say MANY troubles with Indy. I wll never use it again.
Just make you loss the time.

With Synapse the thing works EXACTLY like must be. No obscure
antifreeze components (my god!).

Hi,
Some time ago (more or less like 1 year) I checked synapse ftp and
found that I was not able to transfer files with size greater then 4GB.
Do you know whether the limit still exists ?
Regards,
Zenon

Re: Abandoning indy

Donald Shimoda writes:
tony caduto writes:

>A.Thurson writes:
>

>>* Most be stable, preferably NOT open Source (Too many cooks spoil
>>the broth)
>>* Must have SSL support
>>* Good documentation and support
>>* Good support for proxies/firewalls
>>

>>I'm willing to pay a reasonably quantity for such a beast
>>

>You should take a look at Synapse, while open source, it is not the
>same open source as Indy, Lukas controls everything that goes into it
>and remains highly compatible across versions.

Used here and must say Synapse is the best. You have to carry the
multithread stuff, but one time you have it is solid like a rock. I
have MANY and say MANY troubles with Indy. I wll never use it again.
Just make you loss the time.

With Synapse the thing works EXACTLY like must be. No obscure
antifreeze components (my god!).

HTH.

Where do you find the Syanpse stuff?

Re: Abandoning indy

>* 90% of the problems have a solution: the magical phrase "download the
>last snapshot" with all the problems that arise with this: inestable
>code, incomplete procedures, uncertainity in the state of the
>product...

How does a flakey Indy affect Intraweb? Isn't it built on Indy? Or is the
part it uses for IW stable? TIA
I abandoned IW for the reason above. It costed me a small fortune
(excluding the IW price tag) in wasted time because everytime they send out
updates, something else breaks. And their response, "download the
latest..." And the cycle begins again...

Re: Abandoning indy

yup, the other problem is that Indy 9, which is still very widely used
is no longer in even bug fix status,
Hmm, does Borland still release update packs for Delphi 3, 4, 5, 6, 7?
You know Delphi 5 is probably a lot wider used than many newer versions.
asked for help I got told off because I wasnt using their components
in a thread. But direct off the form like I needed coz what I was
Who told you off? Indy is open source. People contribute. If people get
out of line it is the responsability of that person, not of Indy. The
Indy Team does not "control" it is "support people" since there are no
"support people" in particular. Everyone helps as they can when they
can.
actually doing was very simple. Even when I made a very simple set of
code, pasted it in, I got told they felt it wasnt all the code ..
blah blah.. and then got told I wasnt using their components
properly as it wasnt in a thread.. For what I was doing having a
bunch of threads would have been feasable but a lot of work where it
wasnt really necessary.
I think then you've completely missed the point or you've been informed
correctly. I'd very much like you to point me to these questions.
Threading is not necessary to work with Indy.

Re: Abandoning indy

With Synapse the thing works EXACTLY like must be. No obscure
antifreeze components (my god!).

Really showing your lack of understanding of Indy.

Re: Abandoning indy

Wil Vaccari writes:
>No obscure antifreeze components (my god!).

That's exactly my feeling about Indy. it is always make me get a
general "unstable" impression about it. I have been using
And why is that? Because it has a component named TIdAntiFreeze? If it
were called TIdUserInterface or TIdInterfaceApplicator would it make
you feel more secure?

Re: Abandoning indy

* The documentation and help is lacking a lot of details. Typical open
Source if you ask me.
Typical lack of understanding, if you ask me.
* 90% of the problems have a solution: the magical phrase "download
the last snapshot" with all the problems that arise with this:
inestable code, incomplete procedures, uncertainity in the state of
the product...
Just out of curiosity, what would you like the response to be? Let's
see:
Bob posts a message to a news group. "Hey I got a bug". Bob is using a
software that is open source, and knows that people help as they can
when they can. Joe, who helps on this open source project kindly offers
to take a look at Bob's post. Joe sees that Bob's demo works fine with
the version Joe has.
Joe then suggests to Bob, "Hey Bob, listen, I can not reproduce it here
so it must be ok with latest version I am using. Upgrade"
Bob throws and huff and a puff because Joe didn't take 12 hours to test
everything else Bob is using with this open source project and didn't
realize that some things might break.
So Joe, that takes time to try something, or even if he knows that it
works, is not sufficient because Joe didn't request Bob for his exact
source code of the open source project and fix the bug for him in HIS
CODE BASE. What a complete lack of support!!!!
Btw, for these issues, such as "HEy I don't want to upgrade , I want to
get the fix in my source code" or "Hey, I need hel pand I need it
now!!!!", there is a thing called Priority Support and Consulting known
as Indy Experts program which we offer at Atozed. However, what is very
funny that everyone complains about support for Indy, but when it comes
down to "If you want priority support, pay for it", they all just stop
complaining and start {*word*75}ing at Indy and ask for other either free or
commercial products.
I find it amusing, but I will not lie low and let the work of many
people and millions of hours be put down with unjustified and unfounded
falacies and misconceptions. Sorry.

Re: Abandoning indy

Where do you find the Syanpse stuff?
synapse.ararat.cz/

Re: Abandoning indy

>yup, the other problem is that Indy 9, which is still very widely used
>is no longer in even bug fix status,

Hmm, does Borland still release update packs for Delphi 3, 4, 5, 6, 7?
You know Delphi 5 is probably a lot wider used than many newer versions.
Are there still bug foxes for v9.xx? i.e. the version BCB users have to
use?

Re: Abandoning indy

Jack Mason writes:
Where do you find the Syanpse stuff?
synapse.ararat.cz/
Cheers
Dean

Re: Abandoning indy

Hadi Hariri writes:
And why is that? Because it has a component named TIdAntiFreeze? If it
were called TIdUserInterface or TIdInterfaceApplicator would it make
you feel more secure?
Hadi, I also have severe reliability problems with Indy 10.
I have repeatedly reported these in the newsgroups
(news.atozedsoftware.com)
and no solution is in sight.
In short: both timeouts (readtimeout and connecttimeout) don't fire
reliably in tidsmtp and tidpop3 when the internet connection is through
a DSL router and the internet provider decides to cut the connection,
causing the components to hang their threads forever. A property
"writetimeout" is also sorely missing.
I'm a registered Intraweb customer and the fact that it is based on Indy
makes me feel very uncomfortable.
--
Arthur Hoornweg
(In order to reply per e-mail, please just remove the ".net"

Re: Abandoning indy

In short: both timeouts (readtimeout and connecttimeout) don't fire
reliably in tidsmtp and tidpop3 when the internet connection is through
a DSL router and the internet provider decides to cut the connection,
causing the components to hang their threads forever. A property
"writetimeout" is also sorely missing.
I had this problem when using the SMTP component in an NT Service via
dial-up. Caused me no end of trouble and is what prompted me to move to
synapse.
I'm a registered Intraweb customer
Same here, and kbmMW.