MySql

2003-08-08 03:10:45 AM
delphi10
I'm going to be accessing a MySql server on a redhat linux machine over the network, and I was wondering what everyone reccomends as far as accessing the database. The database and application are going to be fairly simple, and speed isn't an absolute must, but reliability is.
Thanks in advance,
Dave Tittle

Re:MySql

ODBC or ADO would be my choice. ADO however requires you to get the OLEDB
from MySQL, and last I checked this was still in beta. If you want direct
control over your access, there are VCL's out there that enable you to
manipulate the MySQL API directly - but of course, they are more fun and way
more expensive.
<Dave Tittle netshadoAThotmail.com>writes

I'm going to be accessing a MySql server on a redhat linux machine over
the network, and I was wondering what everyone reccomends as far as
accessing the database. The database and application are going to be fairly
simple, and speed isn't an absolute must, but reliability is.

Thanks in advance,
Dave Tittle

Re:MySql

"Andrew Skinner" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in
message news:XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
ODBC. One hears comlaints about the others. Zeos has a good press, BUT
it
went through a long period of no work then a new version. DBExpress is
said
to have bugs, as has my-oledb IIRC. Core labs have a product, but its not
free and I have not tried it as I have not REALLY REALLY needed to and there
is
a limit to what I will spend on a passtime rather than an occupation.

Andrew
Did you try writing inserts with parameters to table with datetime fields?
I would stick to ZEOS if I were on your place.
Denis

Re:MySql

Andrew
Did you try writing inserts with parameters to table with datetime fields?
I would stick to ZEOS if I were on your place.

Zeos certainly seems to work, but development seemed a bit hit and miss
looking at the sourceforge homepage, that was what made me a bit dubious.
Long period of inactivty then a re-write, unless I misunderstood. Are my
fears groundless? The source code is way way too difficult for me!
The simple answer to your question (Did you try writing inserts with
parameters to table with datetime fields?) is, of course "No". <G>.
Andrew

Re:MySql

I use Zeos for a year now, seems quite stable and fast... and you can get
your apps running quickly.
It will be around a lot longer too I bet! Probably longer than most other
solutions out there. Even Turbopower
has published all their components onto sourceforge. Development can be hit
and miss even if you rely on borlands products. I am trusting Zeos.
Jeff
Zeos certainly seems to work, but development seemed a bit hit and miss
looking at the sourceforge homepage, that was what made me a bit dubious.
Long period of inactivty then a re-write, unless I misunderstood. Are my
fears groundless? The source code is way way too difficult for me!

The simple answer to your question (Did you try writing inserts with
parameters to table with datetime fields?) is, of course "No". <G>.

Andrew

Re:MySql

Anyone knows if I can install the database in the directory other than the
default:
c:\mysql\data ?
eg. d:\database\mysql

Re:MySql

Sorry, I should ask can I install the MySQL and the database in separate
directory ?
eg. MySQL at c:\test
databases at d:\data
"Alan" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Anyone knows if I can install the database in the directory other than the
default:
c:\mysql\data ?
eg. d:\database\mysql

Re:MySql

Hello, Alan!
You wrote on Fri, 31 Oct 2003 11:50:15 +1100:
Sorry, I should ask can I install the MySQL and the database in separate
directory ?
eg. MySQL at c:\test
databases at d:\data
Absolutely. Shut down the server, move the data directory wherever you want,
modify my.cnf, then start it up again.
Cheers,
Ignacio

Re:MySql

I am using Windows 2000 and found there is a file called "my.ini" under
"C:\WINNT", is this the file ?
"Ignacio Vazquez" <ivazquezATorioncommunications.com>writes
Hello, Alan!

You wrote on Fri, 31 Oct 2003 14:29:58 +1100:
I am using Windows 2000 and found there is a file called "my.ini" under
"C:\WINNT", is this the file ?
Yes, that is the one. my.cnf would be for Linux.
It's the "datadir" key in the "mysql" section.
Cheers,
Ignacio

Re:MySql

Hi,
where can I ask somethig about zeos componentes ?
Thanks,
S.B.

Re:MySql

"S.B." <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
where can I ask somethig about zeos componentes ?
You can ask here (I'm sure a bunch of their users read this group), but
you'll probably get the best results by asking on their own forums at
zeoslib.sourceforge.net
--
Ray Marron

Re:MySql

Hello,
Could you tell where can I find some examples how to connect to mysql
databases and append some new records to them?
thanks in advance
Bartequ

Re:MySql

Hi Bartek,
Could you tell where can I find some examples how to connect to mysql
databases and append some new records to them?
See www.TheDelphiMagazine.com/samples/1540/1540.htm
Bartequ
Groetjes,
Bob Swart (aka Dr.Bob - www.DrBob42.com)
--
Bob Swart Training & Consultancy (eBob42) Borland Technology Partner
webmaster UK Borland User Group (BUG) & DotNet Developers Group (DDG)

Re:MySql

How can I use dbSwing with MySQL DB? I failed to connect to MySQL using
Database object (component). I have MySQL driver, but when I tried to test
connection in Database component it allways failed. I don't have those
problems when connecting from code.
Thank you.