Delphi2007 footprint

2007-03-17 01:07:50 PM
delphi180
This might seem kind of silly to most, but I am wondering what the disk
usage of Delphi 2007 is relative to Delphi 7. As Crazy as this sounds I
keep my primary development very basic and still can ghost it to a
single CD, therefore if I need to go into the field and debug an
installation, I can
backup the deployed system
restore my current setup
debug it as it I was in my office,
fix the problem,
recompile,
save the executable,
restore the previous setup
and copy the new executable back to the deployed system
We use the same OEM motherboards for this reason, so I am wondering if
Delphi 2007 has a smaller footprint than 2006, where I can still fit it
on a single CD
I realize at some point I will have to upgrade all our existing systems
to DVD readers, but I am wondering if Delphi 2007 is the release to make
it worth while.

Re:Delphi2007 footprint

Adam Roslon writes:
This might seem kind of silly to most, but I am wondering what the
disk usage of Delphi 2007 is relative to Delphi 7.
Delphi 2007 on it is own would use that CD so you'd have no room for the
OS I think. Unless the ghost compresses stuff?
I hope you don't upgrade to Vista, my Windows folder is 12GiB!!
Regards,
Peter Bartholdsson

Re:Delphi2007 footprint

Peter Bartholdsson schrieb:
Adam Roslon writes:

>This might seem kind of silly to most, but I am wondering what the
>disk usage of Delphi 2007 is relative to Delphi 7.

Delphi 2007 on it is own would use that CD so you'd have no room for the
OS I think. Unless the ghost compresses stuff?

I hope you don't upgrade to Vista, my Windows folder is 12GiB!!

Ghost has compression capabilities.
Greetings
Markus

Re:Delphi2007 footprint

In article <45fba5de$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>,
XXXX@XXXXX.COM says...
Adam Roslon writes:

>This might seem kind of silly to most, but I am wondering what the
>disk usage of Delphi 2007 is relative to Delphi 7.

Delphi 2007 on it is own would use that CD so you'd have no room for the
OS I think. Unless the ghost compresses stuff?

I hope you don't upgrade to Vista, my Windows folder is 12GiB!!

Regards,
Peter Bartholdsson

I'm still content using Windows 2K and Server 2K3, never bothered with
XP, and have zero interest in Vista

Re:Delphi2007 footprint

Adam Roslon writes:
[...]

Have you considered VMWare? This sounds perfect for VMWare's snapshot
mechanism.
D2007 requires about 800mb under C:\Documents and Settings\All
Users\Application Data for installing/patching data.
Then the actual program requires 700mb under
C:\Program Files\CodeGear\RAD Studio\5.0
You also need .NET 2.0 including SDK (both for IDE and Help system).
It's probably not the answer you'd like to hear - how about 1 DVD ISO
under Win2k?
--
Chris Pattinson
CodeGear QA Manager, Delphi/C++ Developer Studio