Interbase -v- MS SQL Server - Comments please

We're looking to re-develop our existing Paradox based Dephi 2
applications to use Client Server Techniques.

At present the options seem to be either Interbase or Microsoft SQL
Server, which seems to be _the_ database as far as some (uninformed?)
users are concerned.

I'd really appreciate any comments on the following questions:

1) What are the pros and cons of Interbase v SQL Server

2) What is involved in accessing SQL Server thru Delphi (I've heard that
it can be done using Borland SQL Links - is this a separate product from
Delphi)

3) Licensing Costs - can anyone give an indication of costs per user

4) Does either option require a dedicated systems administrator, or can a
'normal' (?) user be taught how to maintain the database

5) Any other points (or databases) we should consider

Thanks again for all comments.

Re:Interbase -v- MS SQL Server - Comments please

  David Carle <d...@clara.net> wrote:

> 1) What are the pros and cons of Interbase v SQL Server

Hi David, you might be interested in a comparison between
InterBase and MS SQL Server (which is very similar to Sybase
SQL Server).  The URL is below:

http://www.interbase.com/products/sybasewp/index.html

SQL Server.  If you want to get some sleep at night instead
of babysitting your database server round the clock, go with
InterBase.

Bill Karwin
Technical Publications Manager
InterBase Software Corp.

Re:Interbase -v- MS SQL Server - Comments please

> 1) What are the pros and cons of Interbase v SQL Server

IB PRO: Interbase is easy to maintain and elegantly designed, runs on
the smell of an oily rag.  You only need Delphi 2 Professional to
distribute apps (plus of course you need to buy IB).  Local IB (single
user) can be distributed via a deployment kit at a very cheap rate.
Runs on a wide variety of platforms.

IB NEG: No one has heard of it.  Slow performance doing bulk updates via
delphi (possibly fixed by know).

SQL Server PRO: Widely used, plenty of knowledge out there.  Microsoft
(well some people think this is a plus).  Lots of tools.

SQL Server Neg: Slower than IB.  Only runs on NT.  Possibly can be
scaled up further than IB.

> 2) What is involved in accessing SQL Server thru Delphi (I've heard that
> it can be done using Borland SQL Links - is this a separate product from
> Delphi)

You need to upgrade to Delphi Client Server to get SQL Links.  You can
also communicate with SQL Server via ODBC, either through the BDE
supplied with Delphi Professional, or through tools such as ODBCExpress
(www.odbcexpress.com).

> 4) Does either option require a dedicated systems administrator, or can a
> 'normal' (?) user be taught how to maintain the database

IB: Does not require an administrator.  Simplest way to optimize the
database is to back it up and restore it (IMHO).

SQL-Server: Probably doesn't require an administrator, but it hard to
maintain and support than IB.

> 5) Any other points (or databases) we should consider

SQL-Anywhere is very good.  Not as elegant as IB, buts runs very quickly
and effectively via ODBC (once again you only need Delphi Professional).

Don't forget than MS SQL-Server can be upgraded (if you are careful) to
Sybase SQL-Server.

Client-Server programming is nothing like Paradox programming.  Forget
everything you know.

Oliver

David Carle wrote in message <35357226.7...@clara.net>...
>We're looking to re-develop our existing Paradox based Dephi 2
>applications to use Client Server Techniques.

>At present the options seem to be either Interbase or Microsoft SQL
>Server, which seems to be _the_ database as far as some (uninformed?)
>users are concerned.

MS has a real good PR department.......

>I'd really appreciate any comments on the following questions:

>1) What are the pros and cons of Interbase v SQL Server

If your developing with Paradox until now, you probably don't have big
databases with real big tables: so you'll have no performance problems with
either IB or MSSQL. They're both not designed well for databases over
approx. 50 GB (even if MS tells it runs a MSSQL 7 with a Terabyte)
The BIGGEST disadvantage of MSSQL: There's only ONE character set and ONE
sort order for the whole server, e.g. if you use a case-insensitive sort
order, ALL your comparisons are case-insensitive, if you use case-sensitive,
then even your table/colum names need to have the right case....

>2) What is involved in accessing SQL Server thru Delphi (I've heard that
>it can be done using Borland SQL Links - is this a separate product from
>Delphi)

SQL Links are included in Delphi Client/Server (or may be purchased
separatly), that's the main reason for the high price: you buy SQL Links
once and don't need to license ODBC drivers per user.

>3) Licensing Costs - can anyone give an indication of costs per user

IB is definitly much cheaper than MSSQL, just ask your local distributor

>4) Does either option require a dedicated systems administrator, or can a
>'normal' (?) user be taught how to maintain the database

For MSSQL a dedicated admin is recommended (as for most other RDBMSes), but
IB runs without much intervention.

>5) Any other points (or databases) we should consider

MSSQL runs ONLY on NT, IB runs on many platforms, NT/Unix/Novell/even on
Win95

>Thanks again for all comments.

Bye
Dieter
--
if you want to email me please remove .xxx

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998 19:51:18 -0700, David Carle <d...@clara.net> wrote:

>1) What are the pros and cons of Interbase v SQL Server

It is possible to migrate from Paradox to Interbase with almost no
effort. Only changes may be around MEMO/BLOB and DATE/TIME fields.

Migrating to SQL Server may involve rewriting all your TTables to
TQuerys ( I can't make TTable.Findkey work on SQL Server).

Rewriting your data-access to SQL (TQuery) is the best on both
databases but may require a lot of work.

Regads, Jan

Jan Steiermark
v...@vip.{*word*104}city.dk

Re:Interbase -v- MS SQL Server - Comments please

> SQL Links are included in Delphi Client/Server (or may be purchased
> separatly), that's the main reason for the high price: you buy SQL Links
> once and don't need to license ODBC drivers per user.

SQL Links may be purchased separately, but cannot be used with Delphi.
You must upgrade to Client/Server to use it.

Oliver Townshend

Other Threads