Merging The ConfigFile has Failed?!!?

Help Please.

I have installed on my pc, Delphi 3 and Delphi 4. I have an application,
created with Delphi 3 that I want to deploy. The origninal deployment was
done with Installshield Express for Delphi 3 with BDE Version 4.51. Since
then I have installed Delphi 4 with BDE version 5. I made some cosmetic
changes to my Delphi 3 app (with Delphi 3) and did a rebuild of the
installation (presumably this puts BDE version 5 in the install). When the
program is then installed....It screws up the BDE somehow on the target
machine. I get this error:

Merging the ConfigFile has failed.
c:\ProgramFiles\Borland\Common Files\BDE\idapi32.cnf.

After this, any program using the BDE will no longer work! Even the BDE
Administrator application. I have tried Safe Mode/VGA mode and deleting the
idapi32.cfg file etc. I don't know what is going on here or how to fix this
as re-installing the BDE doesn't work. Please Help.

Flint Dwiggins
CRO Technology
(602)506-1424

Re:Merging The ConfigFile has Failed?!!?

Hello - this also happened to me - the only way I could fix it was to re-
install the BDE version 5 update (downloaded from Borland/Inprise)with the
option to overwrite existing files. This fixes the problem but it means you
need to include the BDE update with the install (It's a big file)

I have been using Installshield Express 2 - and have been in contact with
support at installshield - I seems they are still struggling with this problem
- all their documentation/support is still only for BDE 4.5.1

In article <6ruva1$i...@forums.borland.com>,
  "Flint Dwiggins" <fdwig...@mail.maricopa.gov> wrote:

> Help Please.

> I have installed on my pc, Delphi 3 and Delphi 4. I have an application,
> created with Delphi 3 that I want to deploy. The origninal deployment was
> done with Installshield Express for Delphi 3 with BDE Version 4.51. Since
> then I have installed Delphi 4 with BDE version 5. I made some cosmetic
> changes to my Delphi 3 app (with Delphi 3) and did a rebuild of the
> installation (presumably this puts BDE version 5 in the install). When the
> program is then installed....It screws up the BDE somehow on the target
> machine. I get this error:

> Merging the ConfigFile has failed.
> c:\ProgramFiles\Borland\Common Files\BDE\idapi32.cnf.

> After this, any program using the BDE will no longer work! Even the BDE
> Administrator application. I have tried Safe Mode/VGA mode and deleting the
> idapi32.cfg file etc. I don't know what is going on here or how to fix this
> as re-installing the BDE doesn't work. Please Help.

> Flint Dwiggins
> CRO Technology
> (602)506-1424

Re:Merging The ConfigFile has Failed?!!?

Flint,

I've had similar problems with a corrupted BDE config file.  After
re-installing Delphi 3 three time, I broke down and paid for the following
tip from Borland.  The symptom I had was a missing list of
Native Drivers in the BDE tree display.
Apparently when the BDE messes up its config file, you can recreate it by
copying a Golden Copy of it from the RunImage directory on the CD as follows:
1) go to the runimage dir on the installation CD
2) copy the IDAPI32.CFG file to c:\program files\borland\common files\bde\
3) re-set the Read-Only bit on this file.
Hope this solves your problems too,
John Santora

Flint Dwiggins wrote:
> Help Please.

> I have installed on my pc, Delphi 3 and Delphi 4. I have an application,
> created with Delphi 3 that I want to deploy. The origninal deployment was
> done with Installshield Express for Delphi 3 with BDE Version 4.51. Since
> then I have installed Delphi 4 with BDE version 5. I made some cosmetic
> changes to my Delphi 3 app (with Delphi 3) and did a rebuild of the
> installation (presumably this puts BDE version 5 in the install). When the
> program is then installed....It screws up the BDE somehow on the target
> machine. I get this error:

> Merging the ConfigFile has failed.
> c:\ProgramFiles\Borland\Common Files\BDE\idapi32.cnf.

> After this, any program using the BDE will no longer work! Even the BDE
> Administrator application. I have tried Safe Mode/VGA mode and deleting the
> idapi32.cfg file etc. I don't know what is going on here or how to fix this
> as re-installing the BDE doesn't work. Please Help.

> Flint Dwiggins
> CRO Technology
> (602)506-1424

Re:Merging The ConfigFile has Failed?!!?

You can also just delete IDAPI32.CFG from your hard drive and then start the BDE
Administrator, which will create a new IDAPI32.CFG file.

Sarah

--
Sarah
Delphi Developer Support

I cannot respond to support questions by email.

John Santora wrote:
> Flint,

> I've had similar problems with a corrupted BDE config file.  After
> re-installing Delphi 3 three time, I broke down and paid for the following
> tip from Borland.  The symptom I had was a missing list of
> Native Drivers in the BDE tree display.
> Apparently when the BDE messes up its config file, you can recreate it by
> copying a Golden Copy of it from the RunImage directory on the CD as follows:
> 1) go to the runimage dir on the installation CD
> 2) copy the IDAPI32.CFG file to c:\program files\borland\common files\bde\
> 3) re-set the Read-Only bit on this file.
> Hope this solves your problems too,
> John Santora

> Flint Dwiggins wrote:

> > Help Please.

> > I have installed on my pc, Delphi 3 and Delphi 4. I have an application,
> > created with Delphi 3 that I want to deploy. The origninal deployment was
> > done with Installshield Express for Delphi 3 with BDE Version 4.51. Since
> > then I have installed Delphi 4 with BDE version 5. I made some cosmetic
> > changes to my Delphi 3 app (with Delphi 3) and did a rebuild of the
> > installation (presumably this puts BDE version 5 in the install). When the
> > program is then installed....It screws up the BDE somehow on the target
> > machine. I get this error:

> > Merging the ConfigFile has failed.
> > c:\ProgramFiles\Borland\Common Files\BDE\idapi32.cnf.

> > After this, any program using the BDE will no longer work! Even the BDE
> > Administrator application. I have tried Safe Mode/VGA mode and deleting the
> > idapi32.cfg file etc. I don't know what is going on here or how to fix this
> > as re-installing the BDE doesn't work. Please Help.

> > Flint Dwiggins
> > CRO Technology
> > (602)506-1424

Re:Merging The ConfigFile has Failed?!!?

I am experiencing the same problem reported by Flint Dwiggins.

Neither of the suggested fixes have worked - I am left unable to deploy the
BDE!!

Anyone have more suggestions? Has anyone successfully created BDE deployment
disks?

Regards

Brent Rose

Re:Merging The ConfigFile has Failed?!!?

Brent,

As I've mentioned in previous posts, the purpose of this newsgroup is to get
Delphi itself up and running.  Questions regarding deployment of the BDE are
beyond the scope of this newsgroup.  There is
borland.public.delphi.thirdparty-tools for InstallShield issues.  I wouldn't be
surprised if your question is already answered there.  You might also just do a
search at http://developers.href.com, a search engine that can quickly scan the
Borland/Inprise newsgroups.
--
Richard