Which is better?

Hello,

  I'd like to use BDE to construct my desktop database application.
However, I am not sure what kind of database file format should I
choice. Generally speaking, both Paradox and DBASE formats are
popular.  But which format is better? And what's its advantage?
Any comment is deeply appreciated.

Jason

Re:Which is better?

Jason
Some points to consider.
Paradox has the richer field-type set, and you are not so limited in naming
your fields, but one thing you might want to look at is compatibility.
Basically every database type application out there can read a dbase table,
so if you ever need to access the data with some other program than one of
the borland family, dbase might be a better choice.
Juergen

viva...@ms7.hinet.net wrote in article <68k4uc$...@forums.borland.com>...

> Hello,

>   I'd like to use BDE to construct my desktop database application.
> However, I am not sure what kind of database file format should I
> choice. Generally speaking, both Paradox and DBASE formats are
> popular.  But which format is better? And what's its advantage?
> Any comment is deeply appreciated.

> Jason

Re:Which is better?

In general dBase tables are simpler and easier to use - especially in a
network installation. Paradox tables have a lot more features available. If
I don't need and can't foresee a possible need for the extra features I use
dBase. If there is any doubt I use Paradox.
--
Tim Borman
tbor...@nospam.prophase.com

viva...@ms7.hinet.net wrote in message <68k4uc$...@forums.borland.com>...
>Hello,

>  I'd like to use BDE to construct my desktop database application.
>However, I am not sure what kind of database file format should I
>choice. Generally speaking, both Paradox and DBASE formats are
>popular.  But which format is better? And what's its advantage?
>Any comment is deeply appreciated.

>Jason

Re:Which is better?

As I remember, Paradox is very bad for use as multiuser dbase in LAN.
On unstable network errors/disconnects destructs index(or other?) files.

Tumur

Tim Borman wrote in message <68r5ks$2...@forums.borland.com>...
>In general dBase tables are simpler and easier to use - especially in a
>network installation. Paradox tables have a lot more features available. If
>I don't need and can't foresee a possible need for the extra features I use
>dBase. If there is any doubt I use Paradox.
>--
>Tim Borman
>tbor...@nospam.prophase.com
>please reply to this newsgroup
>viva...@ms7.hinet.net wrote in message <68k4uc$...@forums.borland.com>...
>>Hello,

>>  I'd like to use BDE to construct my desktop database application.
>>However, I am not sure what kind of database file format should I
>>choice. Generally speaking, both Paradox and DBASE formats are
>>popular.  But which format is better? And what's its advantage?
>>Any comment is deeply appreciated.

>>Jason

Re:Which is better?

The only thing that's _not_ bad on an unstable network is a client/server
database system. FWIW my experience has been that paradox and dbase tables
both can be damaged by network disconnects while the table is open. Paradox
tables seem more likely to immediately become unusable while dbase damage
may hide for a while before becoming noticable.
--

RedOne Tumur (S.Tumurbaatar) wrote in message

<69eh1a$a...@forums.borland.com>...
>As I remember, Paradox is very bad for use as multiuser dbase in LAN.
>On unstable network errors/disconnects destructs index(or other?) files.

>Tumur

Other Threads