How to fix corrupt Paradox file?

Hi:

I'm using D4 with Paradox. As I do more complex DB operations, I'm
getting more Paradox file corruption.

Specifically, how do I repair a Paradox file after a "Corrupt index"
error message? I can't open the table in Delphi anymore. I can't pack
the table with Desktop Explorer. I get an error.

Are there any Paradox routines available to use in Delphi so I can
repair Paradox tables at run time?

Your help would be appreciated.

Blair Kingsland
bla...@tigron.com

Re:How to fix corrupt Paradox file?

There are utilities such as Sundial's Chimney Sweep which can repair
Another method is available if you have empty copies of the tables.
Make a copy of your *.db file. If it has a memo file also make a copy of
this.
This has the effect of removing any indexes and validation files.
Try to open it with Paradox or the Data Desktop. If it opens add the data
to an emty copy of the table.
If you do not have copies then you will have to recreate the indexes by
retsructuring the table.

Mike Best

--
Mike Best Programming
Brisbane

Blair Kingsland <bla...@tigron.com> wrote in article
<3759ea78.476220...@209.89.75.18>...

Blair Kingsland wrote:

> I'm using D4 with Paradox. As I do more complex DB operations, I'm
> getting more Paradox file corruption.

Someone may suggest some repair programs that'll do what you need.

But actually, it's like repairing your broken car tyres every week,
instead of trying to clean off those nails that broke them.

Better just spend some time trying to break apart that 'complex DB
operation' you mention. I personally don't know what kind of operation
that, in general, would be.

Markku Nevalainen

Re:How to fix corrupt Paradox file?

Present your users with a repair-utility like the one
I made for mine. Check out my homepage and decrease
down-time for your users...

Kees Lagendijk
-----------------------

visit http://www.casema.net/~kens/
for free components

"Messing things up is easy
   but to really create chaos
   you need a computer..."

>Specifically, how do I repair a Paradox file after a "Corrupt index"
>error message? I can't open the table in Delphi anymore. I can't pack
>the table with Desktop Explorer. I get an error.

Re:How to fix corrupt Paradox file?

Blair Kingsland (bla...@tigron.com) wrote:

: Are there any Paradox routines available to use in Delphi so I can
: repair Paradox tables at run time?

I think Markku is right when he says you may need to concentrate
your efforts on preventing/minimizing the corruption in the first
place.

But, since you asked, I'm surprised nobody has yet mentioned
the DTUTIL program that is available as a free download from
borland.com.  I think the URL you want is
http://www.borland.com/devsupport/bde/
Rick Carter   carte...@email.uc.edu   rcar...@tso.cin.ix.net

Re:How to fix corrupt Paradox file?

Markku:

Thanks for your response. My "complex operations" are trying SQL
statements such as UPDATE that, when they don't work, they really
don't work, hang, etc. But once I debug my routines, Delphi and
Paradox work quite well. Although I'm considering doing more work with
Interbase.

Blair

 Markku Nevalainen <m...@iki.fi> wrote:

>Blair Kingsland wrote:

>> I'm using D4 with Paradox. As I do more complex DB operations, I'm
>> getting more Paradox file corruption.

>Someone may suggest some repair programs that'll do what you need.

>But actually, it's like repairing your broken car tyres every week,
>instead of trying to clean off those nails that broke them.

>Better just spend some time trying to break apart that 'complex DB
>operation' you mention. I personally don't know what kind of operation
>that, in general, would be.

>Markku Nevalainen

Re:How to fix corrupt Paradox file?

Hi Blair,
    Here we use the TUtilities that you can order off of the
INprise/Borland website.. they are excellent. and repair corrupt
indexes.  I know what you mean by table corruption. We had some complex
operations as well and were in need for a decent repair utility. With the
TUtility Components you can either write a stand alone corruption utility
or just incorporate the the fixes into your applications code.. I hope
this helps.. good luck..  Its well worth the 85 for source and component
.
Chris Rennert
Konsult Inc.
Blair Kingsland wrote:
> Hi:

> I'm using D4 with Paradox. As I do more complex DB operations, I'm
> getting more Paradox file corruption.

> Specifically, how do I repair a Paradox file after a "Corrupt index"
> error message? I can't open the table in Delphi anymore. I can't pack
> the table with Desktop Explorer. I get an error.

> Are there any Paradox routines available to use in Delphi so I can
> repair Paradox tables at run time?

> Your help would be appreciated.

> Blair Kingsland
> bla...@tigron.com