How connect to server.

Hi,
I am new in c/s app.
How can I connect to server?
When Iam connecting to server in my computer I am using Database name
IBlocal, but what to do when I want to conect to remonte DB server?
I am using Tquery.
Thanks.

Re:How connect to server.

Maria,

use TCP/IP connection paths:

SERVERNAME:DRIVELETTER:\Path\Database.gdb

for example:

ntserver:c:\data\Database.gdb

c:\data\Database.gdb is the absolut path to the database on the server.

--
Best Regards
Thomas Steinmaurer
"Mario" <mario.si...@mailbox.sk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> Hi,
> I am new in c/s app.
> How can I connect to server?
> When Iam connecting to server in my computer I am using Database name
> IBlocal, but what to do when I want to conect to remonte DB server?
> I am using Tquery.
> Thanks.

Re:How connect to server.

Mario wrote:

> Hi,
> I am new in c/s app.
> How can I connect to server?
> When Iam connecting to server in my computer I am using Database name
> IBlocal, but what to do when I want to conect to remonte DB server?
> I am using Tquery.

        It's all the same to TQuery.  All you need to do is set up a BDE alias
which points to an IB server on a remote machine.  TQuery will never
know the difference.

        To set up this alias, the only difference is the path.  Whereas a local
server will have a path which looks like this:

c:\folder_name\file_name.gdb

        ...a remote server alias will have a path like this (if you're using
TCP/IP, which you should be):

machine_name:c:\folder_name\file_name.gdb

        The machine name is the machine name on your network.  This should also
be in the clients' hosts files in order to avoid a DNS lookup (slow).
The rest of the alias looks a lot like a local alias.  Just keep in mind
that this must be the actual, physical path on the server; you can't use
a share name.  Also, it is important that all clients use *exactly* the
same path, character for character.

        HTH,

        -Craig

Re:How connect to server.

Craig:

We have been experimenting with the share name problem today and I was glad
I found your reply concerning this issue.

I might add that we found that a client could map a drive to a share name
and then use the map drive (followed by any remaining path) to get to the
database and this actually works!

From a client installation standpoint, the non-share name has caused us some
difficulty. Our original plan was to allow the users to install from a share
name and then use the location of the Setup.exe file (located in a Setup
directory) as a starting point to move back a directory and forward a
directory to locate the Data path. But, if our Setup.exe runs from a share
name, then we can't use this method to locate the path for the DSN
configuration.

Accepting the fact that we can't use a share name to get to the database,
WHY does InterBase work this way?

I looked briefly at SQL Server today, and it appears that it also does not
support a share path, but I may be wrong about this.

Thanks,
-Bob

"Bob Heide" <BobHe...@NoSpam.lllow.com> wrote in message

> Craig:

> We have been experimenting with the share name problem

today and I was glad

> I found your reply concerning this issue.

> I might add that we found that a client could map a drive
to a share name
> and then use the map drive (followed by any remaining
path) to get to the
> database and this actually works!

I would be interested in your settings. This doesn't work
for me no matter how I try it. Are you sure you are actually
using the mapped drive in the DatabaseName property?

The only way I've found to use the "mapped" drive is to
convert is using the ExpandUNCFileName function to get the
actual server and local path to the server and then use that
information.

Woody

Re:How connect to server.

"Woody" <woody....@ih2000.net> wrote in message news:3b351f6c_2@dnews...

> I would be interested in your settings. This doesn't work
> for me no matter how I try it. Are you sure you are actually
> using the mapped drive in the DatabaseName property?

> The only way I've found to use the "mapped" drive is to
> convert is using the ExpandUNCFileName function to get the
> actual server and local path to the server and then use that
> information.

Our database is Dialect 3.

The actual path to our database on computer name CarlTest was:
        C:\Program Files\LLLOW\Fin\Data\Financial.gdb

We put a share name of LOWShare on C:\Program Files\LLLOW.

From a Win98 SE client, we mapped drive O: to \\CarlTest\LOWShare

Then we set the Easysoft Interbase DSN Setup as:
        O:\Fin\Data\Financial.gdb

-Bob

Other Threads