"Vendor initialization failed..."

I've seen a few threads on this topic already, but unfortunately
none of them solved my particular problem.

Has anyone had luck setting up the following configuration:

 - Oracle 7.2 on Windows NT Server
 - Delphi 2.0 on Windows 95

SQL*Plus works fine, but with Borland's Database Desktop
and other BDE apps, I'm getting the dread
"Vendor initialization failed..." error message.

BDE is configured to look for ORA72.DLL, which is
in the path on the client side.  I believe ORA72.DLL
is the correct 32-bit Oracle-supplied driver.
BDE is also configured to look for Borland's 32-bit
SQL Link driver for Oracle, called something like
SQL_ORA32.DLL.

I tried protocols TSI, TCP/IP, and blank (for the driver
and the alias).

Borland tech support seemed to think that the problem
had to do with BDE not finding ORA72.DLL in the path,
but failed --so far-- to solve the problem.

The network is Banyan, BTW, running Microsoft's TCP/IP
stack.  I don't think that should matter.

I will summarize and post solutions to this newsgroup.

Thanks!
//dk

Re:"Vendor initialization failed..."

David Koosis <dkoo...@iscinc.com> wrote:
> I've seen a few threads on this topic already, but unfortunately
> none of them solved my particular problem.

> Has anyone had luck setting up the following configuration:

>  - Oracle 7.2 on Windows NT Server
>  - Delphi 2.0 on Windows 95

That's mine.

> SQL*Plus works fine, but with Borland's Database Desktop
> and other BDE apps, I'm getting the dread
> "Vendor initialization failed..." error message.

> BDE is configured to look for ORA72.DLL, which is
> in the path on the client side.  I believe ORA72.DLL
> is the correct 32-bit Oracle-supplied driver.

Yes, or OCIW32.DLL, as it appears for me. Those are in my
\orawin95\bin directory which is in the path.

> I tried protocols TSI, TCP/IP, and blank (for the driver
> and the alias).

I had to set it to TNS (on the alias tab) and set the server name to
the alias defined with SQL*Net Easy Config (on the client) to get it
started.

> Borland tech support seemed to think that the problem
> had to do with BDE not finding ORA72.DLL in the path,
> but failed --so far-- to solve the problem.

Just another hint: it will not work when installed to compressed
drive(s), but I don't remember if that's on Delphi's or on Oracle's
side.

Good luck!

Jasper

PS: please take into consideration
- when replying, I just think I know;
- when asking, be sure that I don't.

Re:"Vendor initialization failed..."

David Koosis <dkoo...@iscinc.com> wrote:
>I've seen a few threads on this topic already, but unfortunately
>none of them solved my particular problem.

I was lucky enough to have my problem solved, but I learned a little
bit along the way, I think.  I hope the suggestion below helps.

>Has anyone had luck setting up the following configuration:
> - Oracle 7.2 on Windows NT Server
> - Delphi 2.0 on Windows 95
>SQL*Plus works fine, but with Borland's Database Desktop
>and other BDE apps, I'm getting the dread
>"Vendor initialization failed..." error message.

ORA72.DLL is the correct dll.  If it is complaining about
initialization of it failing, I think your problem is the protocol.  I
have had success specifying it as 'TNS'.

If the initialization is failing with a complaint about a different
dll name from the one you specified, your problem is probably in the
path.  It's just not finding it.  Sqlplus seems to work just fine with
no path setting.

>BDE is configured to look for ORA72.DLL, which is
>in the path on the client side.  I believe ORA72.DLL
>is the correct 32-bit Oracle-supplied driver.
>BDE is also configured to look for Borland's 32-bit
>SQL Link driver for Oracle, called something like
>SQL_ORA32.DLL.
>I tried protocols TSI, TCP/IP, and blank (for the driver
>and the alias).
>Borland tech support seemed to think that the problem
>had to do with BDE not finding ORA72.DLL in the path,
>but failed --so far-- to solve the problem.
>The network is Banyan, BTW, running Microsoft's TCP/IP
>stack.  I don't think that should matter.
>I will summarize and post solutions to this newsgroup.
>Thanks!
>//dk

Howell & Johnson, Inc.
a...@hji.com