Borland vs MPW, and Pascal Central Design

The following article is now featured at Pascal Central:
(http://pascal-central.com/)

Apple and Borland Pascals Compared
----------------------------------
A detailed comparison between the Pascal dialects of MPW Pascal (Mac)
and Borland Pascal (Wintel). The page provides comparison charts that
are a direct result of building non-GUI-based software projects on both
platforms.

Pascal Poll - Web Site Look
---------------------------
A new Pascal poll to help determine the future look of Pascal Central.

Recent additions to Morgana's Cavern
------------------------------------
HexEdit, by Andy Muehling
Othello, by Faybish Itamar

Morgana's Cavern is at http://pascal-central.com/morgana.html

The intent of Pascal Central is to provide the pascal community one
place to obtain Pascal technical information, Pascal source code, and
Pascal-related internet links.

http://pascal-central.com/

Cheers,
Bil

--
----
  Bill Catambay, Software Developer, Webmaster

Re:Borland vs MPW, and Pascal Central Design

"Bill M. Catambay" <bill.m.catam...@NOSPAMlmco.com.invalid> wrote in message

> The following article is now featured at Pascal Central:
> (http://pascal-central.com/)

> Apple and Borland Pascals Compared
> ----------------------------------
> A detailed comparison between the Pascal dialects of MPW Pascal (Mac)
> and Borland Pascal (Wintel). The page provides comparison charts that
> are a direct result of building non-GUI-based software projects on both
> platforms.

Can we have a vote for honesty in article titles. As the article states the
author did NOT use a Borland compiler and doesn't own one. The comparison is
based on a "Borland compatible" compiler.

Re:Borland vs MPW, and Pascal Central Design

Bill M. Catambay:

> Apple and Borland Pascals Compared
> ----------------------------------
> A detailed comparison between the Pascal dialects of MPW Pascal (Mac)
> and Borland Pascal (Wintel). The page provides comparison charts that
> are a direct result of building non-GUI-based software projects on both
> platforms.

Interesting! It could be a nice adverti{*word*224}t for Ada 95 that fixes the
described incompatibilities... Ooops I feel Osmo will flame me!

Gautier  --  http://members.xoom.com/gdemont/

Re:Borland vs MPW, and Pascal Central Design

>Apple and Borland Pascals Compared
>----------------------------------
>A detailed comparison between the Pascal dialects of MPW Pascal (Mac)
>and Borland Pascal (Wintel). The page provides comparison charts that
>are a direct result of building non-GUI-based software projects on both
>platforms.

There are Borland dialects on Mac too (FPC/m68k e.g., on mklinux).
GPC also runs on Mac and has a BP mode.

Re:Borland vs MPW, and Pascal Central Design

>> and Borland Pascal (Wintel). The page provides comparison charts that
>> are a direct result of building non-GUI-based software projects on both
>> platforms.

>Can we have a vote for honesty in article titles. As the article states the
>author did NOT use a Borland compiler and doesn't own one. The comparison is
>based on a "Borland compatible" compiler.

I think the article is honest. It compared Borland DIALECTS, not Borland
compilers.

Re:Borland vs MPW, and Pascal Central Design

In article <R3w25.10840$qS3.28...@tor-nn1.netcom.ca>, Bruce Roberts

<no.junk.please....@attcanada.net> wrote:
> > Apple and Borland Pascals Compared
> > ----------------------------------
> > A detailed comparison between the Pascal dialects of MPW Pascal (Mac)
> > and Borland Pascal (Wintel). The page provides comparison charts that
> > are a direct result of building non-GUI-based software projects on both
> > platforms.

> Can we have a vote for honesty in article titles. As the article states the
> author did NOT use a Borland compiler and doesn't own one. The comparison is
> based on a "Borland compatible" compiler.

Do you see anything in that article that's not honest? It wasn't about
"which is better" or so, simply a comparison of syntactical/RTL
differences. I think it was accurate regarding the mentioned Borland
functionality.

Followup set.

Jonas

"Marco van de Voort" <mar...@toad.stack.nl> wrote in message

> >> and Borland Pascal (Wintel). The page provides comparison charts that
> >> are a direct result of building non-GUI-based software projects on both
> >> platforms.

> >Can we have a vote for honesty in article titles. As the article states
the
> >author did NOT use a Borland compiler and doesn't own one. The comparison
is
> >based on a "Borland compatible" compiler.

> I think the article is honest. It compared Borland DIALECTS, not Borland
> compilers.

I never said that the article wasn't honest. I did point out that its title
was dishonest, and it is.

"Jonas Maebe" <Jonas.Ma...@rug.ac.SPAM.ME.NOT.be> wrote in message

> In article <R3w25.10840$qS3.28...@tor-nn1.netcom.ca>, Bruce Roberts
> <no.junk.please....@attcanada.net> wrote:

> > > Apple and Borland Pascals Compared
> > > ----------------------------------
> > > A detailed comparison between the Pascal dialects of MPW Pascal (Mac)
> > > and Borland Pascal (Wintel). The page provides comparison charts that
> > > are a direct result of building non-GUI-based software projects on
both
> > > platforms.

> > Can we have a vote for honesty in article titles. As the article states
the
> > author did NOT use a Borland compiler and doesn't own one. The
comparison is
> > based on a "Borland compatible" compiler.

> Do you see anything in that article that's not honest? It wasn't about
> "which is better" or so, simply a comparison of syntactical/RTL
> differences. I think it was accurate regarding the mentioned Borland
> functionality.

Yes I did - the title. It claims that the article compares Borland and Apple
Pascal. The article does no such thing, it compares Apple and Borland
"compatible" dialects. As to accuracy in the article I just took a quick
look (I was so ticked by the misleading title), and only found one minor
oversight.

Bruce Roberts wrote:
>> Do you see anything in that article that's not honest? It wasn't about
>> "which is better" or so, simply a comparison of syntactical/RTL
>> differences. I think it was accurate regarding the mentioned Borland
>> functionality.

> Yes I did - the title. It claims that the article compares Borland and Apple
> Pascal. The article does no such thing, it compares Apple and Borland
> "compatible" dialects.

I don't understand the article this way. It compares Borland Pascal
and Apple Pascal; the fact that the author used TMT Pascal for the
work at his company doesn't change this in any way. It would matter if
the author compared the compilers, but in fact he talks about
portability coniderations. Borland created a standard of Pascal
extensions, and as long as you stick to these extensions, it doesn't
matter whether your compiler is Borland-supplied or not.

 - Sebastian

Re:Borland vs MPW, and Pascal Central Design

JRS:  In article <fflli8.mc...@bastisoft.de> of Mon, 19 Jun 2000
19:32:31 seen in news:comp.lang.pascal.borland, Sebastian Koppehel

<un0...@bastisoft.de> wrote:
>Bruce Roberts wrote:
>>> Do you see anything in that article that's not honest? It wasn't about
>>> "which is better" or so, simply a comparison of syntactical/RTL
>>> differences. I think it was accurate regarding the mentioned Borland
>>> functionality.

>> Yes I did - the title. It claims that the article compares Borland and Apple
>> Pascal. The article does no such thing, it compares Apple and Borland
>> "compatible" dialects.

>I don't understand the article this way. It compares Borland Pascal
>and Apple Pascal; the fact that the author used TMT Pascal for the
>work at his company doesn't change this in any way. It would matter if
>the author compared the compilers, but in fact he talks about
>portability coniderations. Borland created a standard of Pascal
>extensions, and as long as you stick to these extensions, it doesn't
>matter whether your compiler is Borland-supplied or not.

Provided that use of another compiler does not lead to false beliefs
about Borland Pascal.

IIRC, TMT has some enhancements; TMT v3.30 also has at least one bug; my
programs cheklinx, splat (test), part of longcalc, mjd_date fail.  TMT
have been told of this; but, when last I looked, v3.30 was still
current.

 Web <URL: http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> - w. FAQish topics, links, acronyms
 PAS, EXE in <URL: http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/programs/> - see 00index.txt.
 Dates - miscdate.htm moredate.htm holidays.htm pas-time.htm critdate.htm  &c.

Re:Borland vs MPW, and Pascal Central Design

>> >Can we have a vote for honesty in article titles. As the article states
>the
>> >author did NOT use a Borland compiler and doesn't own one. The comparison
>is
>> >based on a "Borland compatible" compiler.

>> I think the article is honest. It compared Borland DIALECTS, not Borland
>> compilers.

>I never said that the article wasn't honest. I did point out that its title
>was dishonest, and it is.

Why? It explicitely says to compare dialects, not specific compilers.

> Why? It explicitely says to compare dialects, not specific compilers.

I guess my problem is that the title implies that the author has seen a
Borland compiler or at least read a Borland language guide. (The title in
the original post was, to remind anyone who has forgotten, "Apple and
Borland Pascals Compared".) Near as I can tell from the article the author
is trusting that the compiler he actually worked with is an exact match to
some Borland dialect. Now since Borland didn't write the compiler it can't
be called a "Borland dialect", and since the author appears to have never
read a "Borland dialect" language guide I'm at a loss as to how one can
honestly use the title. I don't have a problem with the actual article, in
fact it serves a useful purpose. But I would have liked to see an honest
title, say "Apple and Borland-Like Pascals Compared".

Dr John Stockton wrote:
>>I don't understand the article this way. It compares Borland Pascal
>>and Apple Pascal; the fact that the author used TMT Pascal for the
>>work at his company doesn't change this in any way. It would matter if
>>the author compared the compilers, but in fact he talks about
>>portability coniderations. Borland created a standard of Pascal
>>extensions, and as long as you stick to these extensions, it doesn't
>>matter whether your compiler is Borland-supplied or not.

> Provided that use of another compiler does not lead to false beliefs
> about Borland Pascal.

Well, as long as it does not talk about compiler details or about
specific features that are extra to / missing from TMT.

> IIRC, TMT has some enhancements; TMT v3.30 also has at least one bug; my
> programs cheklinx, splat (test), part of longcalc, mjd_date fail.

Have you been able to determine the cause(s) of these failures?

 - Sebastian

Re:Borland vs MPW, and Pascal Central Design

>I guess my problem is that the title implies that the author has seen a
>Borland compiler or at least read a Borland language guide. (The title in
>the original post was, to remind anyone who has forgotten, "Apple and
>Borland Pascals Compared".) Near as I can tell from the article the author
>is trusting that the compiler he actually worked with is an exact match to
>some Borland dialect. Now since Borland didn't write the compiler it can't
>be called a "Borland dialect", and since the author appears to have never
>read a "Borland dialect" language guide I'm at a loss as to how one can
>honestly use the title. I don't have a problem with the actual article, in
>fact it serves a useful purpose. But I would have liked to see an honest
>title, say "Apple and Borland-Like Pascals Compared".

I see your point, respect it, but I think it is a bit far fetched. I never
thought that for a second.

Re:Borland vs MPW, and Pascal Central Design

JRS:  In article <97moi8.0b...@bastisoft.de> of Tue, 20 Jun 2000
23:03:37 seen in news:comp.lang.pascal.borland, Sebastian Koppehel

<un0...@bastisoft.de> wrote:

>> IIRC, TMT has some enhancements; TMT v3.30 also has at least one bug; my
>> programs cheklinx, splat (test), part of longcalc, mjd_date fail.

>Have you been able to determine the cause(s) of these failures?

I've localised at least some of them (and told TMT).  But as the Pascal
looks correct, and works as intended in BP7 & D3, ISTM that it is TMT's
problem, not mine.  I now wonder whether TMT remains an actively-
developed product - AFAIK, no later TMT demo has appeared.

You can look for yourself; those programs are via SigLine 3, and
presumably still fail.

Here's the short one :-

program SPLAT ;

type ABoW = array [boolean] of word ;

const TestFiles : ABoW = (0, 0) ;

var F : file { Each file is closed before another is attempted } ;
var IOR : integer ;

BEGIN Writeln('SPLAT.PAS  j...@merlyn.demon.co.uk >= 2000-01-31') ;
Writeln('Not expected to work with TMT<=v3.30.') ;
Assign(F, 'nonesuch.fil') ;                      Writeln( 'x1x ') ;
{$I-} Reset(F{, 1}) ; {$I+}
IOR := IOResult ;                             {   Writeln( 'x2x ') ;  }
Inc(TestFiles[IOR=0]) ;
Write('SPLAT Done.') ;
END.

That compiles & gives
        x1x
        RunError #216 at 8448D902
However, if the Writeln is decommented, the program compiles & gives
        x1x
        x2x
        SPLAT Done.

SPLAT is a cutdown version of the then-current version of cheklinx.pas.

 Web <URL: http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> - FAQqish topics, acronyms & links.
 PAS, EXE in <URL: http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/programs/> - see 00index.txt.

Go to page: [1] [2]

Other Threads