cheap multi-user SQL for 16-bit Delphi ?

What options do I have for an inexpensive multiuser SQL server that will
work with 16-bit Delphi?

To go 32-bit it looks like I'd need Delphi client server suite at $2000 US
plus $850 for a 5-seat Interbase 4.2.  I might even need SQL links at $995.
Ouch!

Ideally I'd like the SQL engine to also have a JDBC interface.

I'm prepared to go ODBC, but not so low as MS Access.

Roedy Green               Roedy rhymes with Cody   ro...@bix.com
Canadian Mind Products    contract programming     (250) 285-2954
POB 707 Quathiaski Cove   Quadra Island BC         Canada V0P 1N0
http://oberon.ark.com/~roedy for CMP utilities and the Java glossary
-30-

Re:cheap multi-user SQL for 16-bit Delphi ?

Roedy Green wrote:
>What options do I have for an inexpensive multiuser SQL server that will
>work with 16-bit Delphi?

>To go 32-bit it looks like I'd need Delphi client server suite at $2000 US
>plus $850 for a 5-seat Interbase 4.2.  I might even need SQL links at $995.
>Ouch!

>Ideally I'd like the SQL engine to also have a JDBC interface.

>I'm prepared to go ODBC, but not so low as MS Access.

Cheapest is the "Local SQL" that comes with BDE. BDE emulates a subset of
SQL on DBASE and Paradox tables which BDE handles natively. Included with
Delphi.
Note it _is_ a subset.

Next would be Access through the Microsoft Jet engine. There are products
like Apollo and Titan that make this reasonable.

Next and the one I prefer is Sybase SQL Anywhere. A real SQL engine Client
Server with many good features including the ability to run on everything
from Dos to Unix. $249 for the base package.

After that your in the realm of MS SQL or Sybase SQL, Informix, Interbase etc.

--
Arnold Bailey - abai...@bix.com - abai...@webwrights.com
WebWrights - Web Services, Web Pages and Web Site Management

Roedy Green <ro...@BIX.com> wrote:
>What options do I have for an inexpensive multiuser SQL server that will
>work with 16-bit Delphi?

One possible choice is SQL Anywhere by Sybase (formerly known as
Watcom SQL Server).

It's lightning fast, and as far as I know it's fairly reasonable in
price, plus it works through ODBC, so you don't need the C/S edition
of Delphi.

We've been using it for local SQL tables with very good success so
far.

Marc

Marc Scheuner, marc.scheu...@bernoise.ch    CH-3001 BERNE, Switzerland

Re:cheap multi-user SQL for 16-bit Delphi ?

Another possibility is Solid Server. Even faster than SQL Anywhere.

$99 for desktop license. $199 per user for multi-user versions.

Has referential inegrity, stored procedures, database events, but no triggers.

Runs on W3.1, W95, WNT, Linux, Sun Unix, HP Unix, SCO Unix, etc...

You can download an evaluation version (fully functional for 30 days)
from www.solid.fi.

Danny Heijl.
---

>Roedy Green <ro...@BIX.com> wrote:
>>What options do I have for an inexpensive multiuser SQL server that will
>>work with 16-bit Delphi?

>One possible choice is SQL Anywhere by Sybase (formerly known as
>Watcom SQL Server).

>It's lightning fast, and as far as I know it's fairly reasonable in
>price, plus it works through ODBC, so you don't need the C/S edition
>of Delphi.

>We've been using it for local SQL tables with very good success so
>far.

>Marc

>Marc Scheuner, marc.scheu...@bernoise.ch    CH-3001 BERNE, Switzerland

Danny.He...@cevi.be    http://www.cevi.be/pp/danny/dhe.htm

AT WORK :      | HOME :
---------------------------------
Danny Heijl    |
CEVI VZW       | Danny Heijl
Bisdomplein 3  | Winterstraat 4
9000 Gent      | 9000 Gent
Belgium        | Belgium
---------------------------------

Re:cheap multi-user SQL for 16-bit Delphi ?

In article <5gau2j$...@news2.delphi.com>,
  Roedy Green <ro...@BIX.com> wrote:

> What options do I have for an inexpensive multiuser SQL server that will
> work with 16-bit Delphi?

> To go 32-bit it looks like I'd need Delphi client server suite at $2000 US
> plus $850 for a 5-seat Interbase 4.2.  I might even need SQL links at $995.
> Ouch!

> Ideally I'd like the SQL engine to also have a JDBC interface.

> I'm prepared to go ODBC, but not so low as MS Access.

I put in a second vote for SQL/Anywhere.  Very fast, very robust, scales
to Sybase SQL Server if your app grows.  Supports ODBC, and works well
that way with Delphi.  It's supported as a JDBC server by Symantec
dbAnywhere.

I've done several apps with the Delphi (both 1.x and 2.0) to SQLAnywhere
combo, and it's done very well by me

Steve

|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------

dem...@salamander.com wrote:
>In article <5gau2j$...@news2.delphi.com>,
>  Roedy Green <ro...@BIX.com> wrote:

>> What options do I have for an inexpensive multiuser SQL server that will
>> work with 16-bit Delphi?

Not sure if it quite what you have in mind, but you might want to look at the
SQL engine product form JustLogic.  I haven't seen anything of them lately, but
they used to be at http://www.justlogic.com.  I have used their 16 bit product
with C and C++, and it should not be too hard to hook to Delphi (hmmm, that
sounds like a good weekend project...)

>> To go 32-bit it looks like I'd need Delphi client server suite at $2000 US
>> plus $850 for a 5-seat Interbase 4.2.  I might even need SQL links at $995.
>> Ouch!

>> Ideally I'd like the SQL engine to also have a JDBC interface.

>> I'm prepared to go ODBC, but not so low as MS Access.

>I put in a second vote for SQL/Anywhere.  Very fast, very robust, scales
>to Sybase SQL Server if your app grows.  Supports ODBC, and works well
>that way with Delphi.  It's supported as a JDBC server by Symantec
>dbAnywhere.

>I've done several apps with the Delphi (both 1.x and 2.0) to SQLAnywhere
>combo, and it's done very well by me

>Steve

>|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>--------
>| Steve Demuth                   | OOP and Client/Server contract programming
>| Walnut Close Consulting        | Delphi, Java and Smalltalk, HTML and WWW
>publishing |
>| 2750 Lannon Hill Road          | dem...@salamander.com / 319-382-9895
>| Decorah, Iowa  52101           | http://www.salamander.com/~demuth/home.htm

Re:cheap multi-user SQL for 16-bit Delphi ?

>   Roedy Green <ro...@BIX.com> wrote:

> What options do I have for an inexpensive multiuser SQL server that
> will work with 16-bit Delphi?

One alternative I know about, but haven't tested, is Turbo Power's new
tool, Flash Filer.  It's certainly Client-Server, and it's multi-user,
but it does not seem to be SQL-based; I'm not sure how much that matters
to you.

There's information on it at

   http://www.turbopower.com/products/flashfiler/mightysmall/

-
Howard L. Kaplan
Psychopharmacology and Dependence Research Unit
Women's College Hospital
76 Grenville Street, 9'th floor
Toronto, Ontario
Canada  M5S 1B2
(416)323-6400, ext 4915
howard.kap...@utoronto.ca

Re:cheap multi-user SQL for 16-bit Delphi ?

In article <332d8f29.15317...@news.belgium.eu.net>,

Danny.He...@cevi.be (Danny Heijl) wrote:

>Another possibility is Solid Server. Even faster than SQL Anywhere.

>$99 for desktop license. $199 per user for multi-user versions.

>Has referential inegrity, stored procedures, database events, but no triggers.

Have you used it yourself?
I have to decide within the next week or two which c/s to use for a project.
Solid looks good, but I wonder how wise it is to go for a small manufacturer?
I have had problems several times because I didn't choose one of the big
ones.. I used to like Superbase a lot, but now it's apparently non-existent..
Right now I'm dl'ing their eval version, so I guess I'll take a look at it..

--
|| Bjorn K. Nilssen      // http://home.sn.no/~bjoernk/  // mainly 3D ||
|| Grimsvollen 30       //
|| N-4616 Kristiansand //
|| NORWAY             //

Re:cheap multi-user SQL for 16-bit Delphi ?

> Solid looks good, but I wonder how wise it is to go for a small manufacturer?

A comment from the manufacturer: We see it as a strategic strength to
have a trimmed organisation, but this has not stopped some of the
largest companies to rely on Solid. For instance, Compuware Corporation
(www.compuware.com), one of the top 15 independent software developers
worldwide, ships Solid as a bundled repository with every copy of the
UNIFACE SEVEN DEVELOPER.

Marten Mickos

--
Marten Mickos
Solid Information Technology Ltd

Re:cheap multi-user SQL for 16-bit Delphi ?

Hi,

I'm looking for a REAL client-server database platform for Win95 (NOT
WinNT). You guys mentioned Solid Server and SuperBase. Can they be used on
Win95?
Where can I find other similar SW? I've been looking around on the net for
days, and I was just luck to find your post.

I'm searching for Solid Server and SuperBase, but could you e-mail me
exactly where you found them?

TIA,

Reggie
---
Bjorn-Kare Nilssen <bjoe...@sn.no> wrote in article
<NQ4QzgmCgIfK09...@sn.no>...

> In article <332d8f29.15317...@news.belgium.eu.net>,
> Danny.He...@cevi.be (Danny Heijl) wrote:

> >Another possibility is Solid Server. Even faster than SQL Anywhere.

> >$99 for desktop license. $199 per user for multi-user versions.

> >Has referential inegrity, stored procedures, database events, but no
triggers.

> Have you used it yourself?
> I have to decide within the next week or two which c/s to use for a
project.
> Solid looks good, but I wonder how wise it is to go for a small
manufacturer?
> I have had problems several times because I didn't choose one of the big
> ones.. I used to like Superbase a lot, but now it's apparently
non-existent..
> Right now I'm dl'ing their eval version, so I guess I'll take a look at
it..

> --
> || Bjorn K. Nilssen      // http://home.sn.no/~bjoernk/  // mainly 3D ||
> || Grimsvollen 30       //
> || N-4616 Kristiansand //
> || NORWAY             //

Re:cheap multi-user SQL for 16-bit Delphi ?

You can find info on Solid Server at http://www.solidtech.com

Sounds like good technology, they even have a free evaluation version.

Andrew.

Other Threads