DBGrid.columns design time changes not saving.

Delphi 6 wSP 1 - connecting to MySQL via ODBC/ADO Dataset.

I don't understand why, when I customize dbgrid1.TColumnTitle.caption
in design time, the modified title DOES appear in the designtime form,
but when I compile, all the design time changes revert to the
defaults.

When I close the project and re-load it, it loses all these column
changes (other changes to the form ARE saved)

Other changes which don't "stick":
Column width
Alignment of both the column title and and the cell itself.
..and I've stopped here before I figure out what the hell is going
on...

Please advise.

TIA