Suitable report component / reporting tool

  Hi,

  I am in the researching phase of a small project where I need a good
reporting component that also provides a program (executeable) that the
users can use to design new reports without my help as a programmer. I will
create a program that will give the users the possibility to create a query
and a report layout, and at last some criterias for printing the report.
  Actually it should work like MS Access but with less possibilites for the
users to modify  the behaviour of the main program, only Query -> Report
functions should be used.

  I need some advices from you more experienced fellows of reporting tools.
I know Crystal Reports and QuickReports, but there are more tools out
there - I guess. Are there any that you could recommend?

Mattias

Re:Suitable report component / reporting tool

Report Builder has a nice end user reporting system.

www.digital-metaphors.com

HTH

Chris

"Mattias Lundin" <ludde....@telia.com> wrote in message

>   Hi,

>   I am in the researching phase of a small project where I need a good
> reporting component that also provides a program (executeable) that the
> users can use to design new reports without my help as a programmer. I
will
> create a program that will give the users the possibility to create a
query
> and a report layout, and at last some criterias for printing the report.

>   Actually it should work like MS Access but with less possibilites for
the
> users to modify  the behaviour of the main program, only Query -> Report
> functions should be used.

>   I need some advices from you more experienced fellows of reporting
tools.
> I know Crystal Reports and QuickReports, but there are more tools out
> there - I guess. Are there any that you could recommend?

> Mattias

Re:Suitable report component / reporting tool

What database are you using?  If you database is supported by
Crystal Reports and your users have the dollars, go with
Crystal Reports.  It is as close to childs play for Report Building
as you can get.

If your users don't have the dollars, go for ReportBuilder.
When all is said and done, ReportBuilder is (in my opinion)
so far ahead of the competition that it is not funny.
If money is a real problem, QRDesign (for around US$50)
is brilliant.  It basically bypasses the flaws in QuickReports to
give end users an excellent Report Designer.  QRDesign also
comes with a very good end user help file.

Confused you enough?

Graham.

"Mattias Lundin" <ludde....@telia.com> wrote in message

>   Hi,

>   I am in the researching phase of a small project where I need a good
> reporting component that also provides a program (executeable) that the
> users can use to design new reports without my help as a programmer. I
will
> create a program that will give the users the possibility to create a
query
> and a report layout, and at last some criterias for printing the report.

>   Actually it should work like MS Access but with less possibilites for
the
> users to modify  the behaviour of the main program, only Query -> Report
> functions should be used.

>   I need some advices from you more experienced fellows of reporting
tools.
> I know Crystal Reports and QuickReports, but there are more tools out
> there - I guess. Are there any that you could recommend?

> Mattias

Re:Suitable report component / reporting tool

Mattias,

You could give Fast Report a try. They are pretty good and has almost the
look and feel of Quickreports without the outlining issues.

http://www.fr.hotmail.ru

Just made the purchase just not too long ago after being
impressed at what it can do.

Edwin

--
http://www.batchimage.com Your source for Batch Image Processing
Applications

"Edwin Lau" <ed...@iredsoft.comnospam> wrote in message

> Mattias,

> You could give Fast Report a try. They are pretty good and has almost the
> look and feel of Quickreports without the outlining issues.

> http://www.fr.hotmail.ru

... agreed, but have a look at http://www.thsd.de and http://www.mensand.com
(QRDesign and QRArtist respectively) before you decide. WHile both use the
QR report engine, they do an excellent job of hiding the pain. And in both
cases the end -user editors are excellent. Both support scripting as well.

Pierre

Re:Suitable report component / reporting tool

  I have some alternatives now, thanks all. But to be more specific I would
like to add that the exporting possibilities are very important. I want
export filters to some common formats as RTF, MSWord, HTML. The end result
should have a similar layout(including colours) as the originally designed
report layout.  (I am not impressed of the export filters in QuickReports
for HTML.)

  Does this demand put any of the reports out of the competition??

(And the money is not that important, lets say below 200$ for a one-user
license. But before buying I must be able to try a trial version.)

Another thought:
  Is it worth considering using components for MS Access (TAccessReport,
TDoCmd) to control generation of reports from dito?

Mattias

Mattias Lundin <ludde....@telia.com> skrev i
diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:8m0slk$l...@bornews.borland.com...

>   Hi,

>   I am in the researching phase of a small project where I need a good
> reporting component that also provides a program (executeable) that the
> users can use to design new reports without my help as a programmer. I
will
> create a program that will give the users the possibility to create a
query
> and a report layout, and at last some criterias for printing the report.

>   Actually it should work like MS Access but with less possibilites for
the
> users to modify  the behaviour of the main program, only Query -> Report
> functions should be used.

>   I need some advices from you more experienced fellows of reporting
tools.
> I know Crystal Reports and QuickReports, but there are more tools out
> there - I guess. Are there any that you could recommend?

> Mattias

Re:Suitable report component / reporting tool

Mattias,

You might still want to give Fast Reports a try. It has native support for
exporting to RTF and HTML. RTF is essentially quite the same to MS Word
and is accessible by Word and other Word Processors. You would not have
much trouble with that.

Since you would have the source code, you could tweak it to support other
formats.

Edwin

--

>   I have some alternatives now, thanks all. But to be more specific I
would
> like to add that the exporting possibilities are very important. I want
> export filters to some common formats as RTF, MSWord, HTML. The end result
> should have a similar layout(including colours) as the originally designed
> report layout.  (I am not impressed of the export filters in QuickReports
> for HTML.)

>   Does this demand put any of the reports out of the competition??

> (And the money is not that important, lets say below 200$ for a one-user
> license. But before buying I must be able to try a trial version.)

> Another thought:
>   Is it worth considering using components for MS Access (TAccessReport,
> TDoCmd) to control generation of reports from dito?

> Mattias

Re:Suitable report component / reporting tool

Take a look at fastReport I don't think you'll be disappointed, It takes a
little time to get used to it, pay close attention to the demos. I've been
using it since version 2.2 and found it to be excellent.
best olf Luck.
gord.

"Mattias Lundin" <ludde....@telia.com> wrote in message

>   I have some alternatives now, thanks all. But to be more specific I
would
> like to add that the exporting possibilities are very important. I want
> export filters to some common formats as RTF, MSWord, HTML. The end result
> should have a similar layout(including colours) as the originally designed
> report layout.  (I am not impressed of the export filters in QuickReports
> for HTML.)

>   Does this demand put any of the reports out of the competition??

> (And the money is not that important, lets say below 200$ for a one-user
> license. But before buying I must be able to try a trial version.)

> Another thought:
>   Is it worth considering using components for MS Access (TAccessReport,
> TDoCmd) to control generation of reports from dito?

> Mattias

> Mattias Lundin <ludde....@telia.com> skrev i
> diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:8m0slk$l...@bornews.borland.com...
> >   Hi,

> >   I am in the researching phase of a small project where I need a good
> > reporting component that also provides a program (executeable) that the
> > users can use to design new reports without my help as a programmer. I
> will
> > create a program that will give the users the possibility to create a
> query
> > and a report layout, and at last some criterias for printing the report.

> >   Actually it should work like MS Access but with less possibilites for
> the
> > users to modify  the behaviour of the main program, only Query -> Report
> > functions should be used.

> >   I need some advices from you more experienced fellows of reporting
> tools.
> > I know Crystal Reports and QuickReports, but there are more tools out
> > there - I guess. Are there any that you could recommend?

> > Mattias

Re:Suitable report component / reporting tool

So where can I find ReportBuilder?

Thanks in advance,
Shane

"Graham Wood" <thewoodg...@one.net.au> wrote in message

> What database are you using?  If you database is supported by
> Crystal Reports and your users have the dollars, go with
> Crystal Reports.  It is as close to childs play for Report Building
> as you can get.

> If your users don't have the dollars, go for ReportBuilder.
> When all is said and done, ReportBuilder is (in my opinion)
> so far ahead of the competition that it is not funny.
> If money is a real problem, QRDesign (for around US$50)
> is brilliant.  It basically bypasses the flaws in QuickReports to
> give end users an excellent Report Designer.  QRDesign also
> comes with a very good end user help file.

> Confused you enough?

> Graham.

> "Mattias Lundin" <ludde....@telia.com> wrote in message
> >   Hi,

> >   I am in the researching phase of a small project where I need a good
> > reporting component that also provides a program (executeable) that the
> > users can use to design new reports without my help as a programmer. I
> will
> > create a program that will give the users the possibility to create a
> query
> > and a report layout, and at last some criterias for printing the report.

> >   Actually it should work like MS Access but with less possibilites for
> the
> > users to modify  the behaviour of the main program, only Query -> Report
> > functions should be used.

> >   I need some advices from you more experienced fellows of reporting
> tools.
> > I know Crystal Reports and QuickReports, but there are more tools out
> > there - I guess. Are there any that you could recommend?

> > Mattias

Other Threads