Best BDE Alternative to Access Oracle

As I want to port a C/S Application from MS SQL 7 to Oracle and I don't want
to use BDE, anyone can give me some advise about which one is the best
option:

1.Direct Oracle Access
2.Oracle Data Access
3.Oracle Data Access Components
4. any others?

Thanks
Lewis

Re:Best BDE Alternative to Access Oracle

i 'VE JUST STRATED USING DOA.
I seem to be very good.
Have a look.

"Lewis Wong" <le...@eastop.com> wrote in message news:3a69c366_1@dnews...
> As I want to port a C/S Application from MS SQL 7 to Oracle and I don't
want
> to use BDE, anyone can give me some advise about which one is the best
> option:

> 1.Direct Oracle Access
> 2.Oracle Data Access
> 3.Oracle Data Access Components
> 4. any others?

> Thanks
> Lewis

Re:Best BDE Alternative to Access Oracle

Lewis Wong <le...@eastop.com> wrote in message news:3a69c366_1@dnews...
> As I want to port a C/S Application from MS SQL 7 to Oracle and I don't
want
> to use BDE, anyone can give me some advise about which one is the best
> option:

> 1.Direct Oracle Access
> 2.Oracle Data Access
> 3.Oracle Data Access Components
> 4. any others?

> Thanks
> Lewis

Would 2 and 3 the same?  Do you know URL of them?

There are at least two more that I came across in the newsgroup:

NCOCI8 (http://www.ncom.ru/diman/index.html/)

SQLDirect (http://www.sqldirect-soft.com/)

AFAIK, NCOCI8 is a freeware.  It only supports Oracle8.  When I download it
for evaluation last summer, it has no manual nor on-line help.  As a result,
we remove it from our list because it is pretty difficult to get started
without any proper documentation.

We didn't do any evaluation on SQLDirect.  It supports multiple RDBMS but we
don't need that.  Probably scared by the bad experience with BDE, we prefer
to choose one that is specific to Oracle.

To choose between DOA and ODAC is a tough decision.  Both are very good but
with different feature.

DOA has very good Tech Support (the turn around is usually within 24 hours).
It is more popular in this ng so you will get more help from this ng.  If
seems to be faster overall.

ODAC has more components, and I like the TOraStoredProc which works for both
standalone stored proc and packages.  It also has a non data bound MemTable
component which I have been looking for years.  And its nameing convention
is very similar to Delphi's DB components.

Ping Kam

Ping Kam

Re:Best BDE Alternative to Access Oracle

Hello !

Some words about NCOCI8 ... It have very high level
of compatibility with standard BDE components. It
is little excuse for missing help and documentation <g>.

Regards,
Dmitry

Dmitry L. Arefiev, software developer
Author of NCOCI8 - Freeware Delphi to Oracle8i direct access

ICQ: 50741007
EMail: daref...@da-soft.com
WWW: http://www.da-soft.com

"Ping Kam" <p...@quikcard.com> wrote in message news:3a69f0f5_2@dnews...
> Lewis Wong <le...@eastop.com> wrote in message news:3a69c366_1@dnews...
> > As I want to port a C/S Application from MS SQL 7 to Oracle and I don't
> want
> > to use BDE, anyone can give me some advise about which one is the best
> > option:

> > 1.Direct Oracle Access
> > 2.Oracle Data Access
> > 3.Oracle Data Access Components
> > 4. any others?

> > Thanks
> > Lewis

> Would 2 and 3 the same?  Do you know URL of them?

> There are at least two more that I came across in the newsgroup:

> NCOCI8 (http://www.ncom.ru/diman/index.html/)

> SQLDirect (http://www.sqldirect-soft.com/)

> AFAIK, NCOCI8 is a freeware.  It only supports Oracle8.  When I download it
> for evaluation last summer, it has no manual nor on-line help.  As a result,
> we remove it from our list because it is pretty difficult to get started
> without any proper documentation.

> We didn't do any evaluation on SQLDirect.  It supports multiple RDBMS but we
> don't need that.  Probably scared by the bad experience with BDE, we prefer
> to choose one that is specific to Oracle.

> To choose between DOA and ODAC is a tough decision.  Both are very good but
> with different feature.

> DOA has very good Tech Support (the turn around is usually within 24 hours).
> It is more popular in this ng so you will get more help from this ng.  If
> seems to be faster overall.

> ODAC has more components, and I like the TOraStoredProc which works for both
> standalone stored proc and packages.  It also has a non data bound MemTable
> component which I have been looking for years.  And its nameing convention
> is very similar to Delphi's DB components.

> Ping Kam

> Ping Kam

Re:Best BDE Alternative to Access Oracle

I use ODAC http://crlab.com/home.html and I am very happy with it.

I just received an email about the ODAC 3.00 beta in which Core Labs states:
"Also we implemented new way of access to database that doesn't require
Oracle client software installed on client side."

I haven't tried the beta yet, but this is great news from a deployment point
of view.

Christopher Latta http://www.ozemail.com.au/~clatta
  In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice,
  but in practice there is a great deal of difference.

Dmitry Arefiev <daref...@da-soft.com> wrote in message

> Hello !

> Some words about NCOCI8 ... It have very high level
> of compatibility with standard BDE components. It
> is little excuse for missing help and documentation <g>.

> Regards,
> Dmitry

> Dmitry L. Arefiev, software developer
> Author of NCOCI8 - Freeware Delphi to Oracle8i direct access

Guess this is my problem.

My co-worker created some DB controls descending from, I believe, the
TwwCustomEdit.  He added several properties and events, as well as some
public methods, but no on-line help or document.  I find it very
inconvenient to use those controle, especially when I have to use those
public methods.  I keeping forgetting their names and prototype and have to
open the source file to look it up.   So I avoid them in my best effort.

Ping Kam

Re:Best BDE Alternative to Access Oracle

I am very happy with DOA.  I have not used ODAC, but I have never seen
an adverse comment about it.

John PIerce

Re:Best BDE Alternative to Access Oracle

Hi Lewis,

I just purchased ODAC and I think it's great. My first impression is
excellent. One really cool thing is that you can use BDE and ODAC in
parallel, quite important if you have to port a *big* application!
It's easy to replace parts of the application and slowly replace the
BDE step by step.

I've heard that DOA doesn't allow using BDE in parallel, but please
check this to make sure it's true!! As always with 3rd part components,
don't forget to buy the source code to be on the safe side...

Keep hackin',

Daniel

"Lewis Wong" <le...@eastop.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> As I want to port a C/S Application from MS SQL 7 to Oracle and I don't
want
> to use BDE, anyone can give me some advise about which one is the best
> option:

> 1.Direct Oracle Access
> 2.Oracle Data Access
> 3.Oracle Data Access Components