Cheap & Legal Database Experimentation

Does anyone know of a cheap but legal way to acquire copies of recent
versions of DB2 and/or Oracle suitable for getting acquainted with the
databases, and using them with Delphi?  I've no reason at the moment to be
concerned with deployment, so something along the lines of a "development
license" analogous to the Interbase license included with Delphi would be
perfectly satisfactory.

I admit to being totally baffled by the plethora of packages I've seen
available for DB2; Oracle I really haven't investigated seriously yet.  I
thought someone here might be able to cut the Gordian knot for me.  TIA.

Re:Cheap & Legal Database Experimentation

L. S. Lichtmann wrote:
> Does anyone know of a cheap but legal way to acquire copies of recent
> versions of DB2 and/or Oracle suitable for getting acquainted with the
> databases, and using them with Delphi?  I've no reason at the moment to be
> concerned with deployment, so something along the lines of a "development
> license" analogous to the Interbase license included with Delphi would be
> perfectly satisfactory.

> I admit to being totally baffled by the plethora of packages I've seen
> available for DB2; Oracle I really haven't investigated seriously yet.  I
> thought someone here might be able to cut the Gordian knot for me.  TIA.

Hi,

The link below has links from where you can download DB2. It has a link
to a personal edition for DB2.

http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/download/category.jsp?s=c&cat=data

--
Cheers,
Phillip Flores

Re:Cheap & Legal Database Experimentation

I think that as long as you are a member of the OTN, Oracle Technology
Network, you are allowed to download Oracle for personal use.  As far as I
can remeber, joining OTN is free and painless.

Edwin

"L. S. Lichtmann" <llichtm...@nevrona.com> wrote in message

> Does anyone know of a cheap but legal way to acquire copies of recent
> versions of DB2 and/or Oracle suitable for getting acquainted with the
> databases, and using them with Delphi?  I've no reason at the moment to be
> concerned with deployment, so something along the lines of a "development
> license" analogous to the Interbase license included with Delphi would be
> perfectly satisfactory.

> I admit to being totally baffled by the plethora of packages I've seen
> available for DB2; Oracle I really haven't investigated seriously yet.  I
> thought someone here might be able to cut the Gordian knot for me.  TIA.

Re:Cheap & Legal Database Experimentation

The full download of Oracle 8 was available, 500+ MB, and it was free for
development non-deployment use.  (At least it was a year ago.)

www.oracle.com

Re:Cheap & Legal Database Experimentation

In article <3e83ab9...@newsgroups.borland.com>, L. S. Lichtmann says...

> Does anyone know of a cheap but legal way to acquire copies of recent
> versions of DB2 and/or Oracle suitable for getting acquainted with the
> databases, and using them with Delphi?

Oracle is free to download for 'development', if you don't mind the
1.5Gb, or you can purchase it on CD for a few $$$.  You can also
download DB2 for free (again for development)

Phil

Re:Cheap & Legal Database Experimentation

llichtm...@nevrona.com says...

> Does anyone know of a cheap but legal way to acquire copies of recent
> versions of DB2 and/or Oracle suitable for getting acquainted with the
> databases, and using them with Delphi?  I've no reason at the moment to be
> concerned with deployment, so something along the lines of a "development
> license" analogous to the Interbase license included with Delphi would be
> perfectly satisfactory.

What exactly are you doing and why?

Are you using these dbs for prototyping an app?

Do you *_have_* to use these dbs?

If you want to avoid a) humungeous downloads and b) paying anything(*)
go to http://mers.com and download version 6.0.1.6 of the Open Source
version of Interbase - it will provide you with 98.5% of what other
tools offer at a fraction (1/infinity) of the cost.

(*) most db vendors allow free use of their systems for developement but
require payment for deployment - with IB OS you don't even have to pay
for that!

Paul...

Re:Cheap & Legal Database Experimentation

Oracle send me to Colombia for free 4 Cd of the database and development
tools...

I install it, and look enough complicated for think in use Firebird / MS Sql
for now...

Re:Cheap & Legal Database Experimentation

thism...@notexist.com says...

> Oracle send me to Colombia for free 4 Cd of the database and development
> tools...
> I install it, and look enough complicated for think in use Firebird / MS Sql
> for now...

Indeed, the entire server is 1% of the size of the Oracle client.

Paul...

L. S. Lichtmann wrote:
> Does anyone know of a cheap but legal way to acquire copies of recent
> versions of DB2 and/or Oracle suitable for getting acquainted with the

Both have free developer programs. Join the IBM Partnerworld and you
can get, I think a free personal version of DB2. I also got a free
version of Oracle 9i but had to download.

--
David Farrell-Garcia
Orca Software & Technologies

Posted With XanaNews  1.14.2.1

Re:Cheap & Legal Database Experimentation

> Does anyone know of a cheap but legal way to acquire copies of recent
> versions of DB2

My advice:  Spend the (IIRC) $39 to get the full development package.  The
box I got a couple months ago came with 2 manuals and about 20 CDs.

(Unfortunately, my potential customer has gotten cold feet...  :-(   )

   -- Mark

Other Threads