Table Full- Paradox 7

Hi,
I need to write more than 200,000 records to a a PARADOX 7 table.

At about record 190,000 I get  'Table Full' errors. Disk space is not a
problem.

I vaguely remember reading a tip about this some time ago. Can someone
refresh my memory?

Pierre

Re:Table Full- Paradox 7

Pierre,

The table size is controlled by the tables blocksize.  This is set at
initial creation.  A new table's block size is determined by the blocksize
setting in the BDE which is usually set by IDAPI.CFG or IDAPI32.CFG.

So: run BDECFG.EXE (or bdecfg32.exe), select Paradox and change the
blocksize (max is 32768).  A setting of 32K gives a max paradox table of 2
Gb.

Now, to fix your existing table, just do a restructure programmatically or
using DataBase Desktop - the Table will be re-created using the new
BlockSize.

HTH,

--
Paul Motyer
pa...@pccity.com.au - now working!

Pierre du Parte <p...@ozemail.com.au> wrote in article
<01bc3661$70fd3020$37a26ccb@final1>...

> Hi,
> I need to write more than 200,000 records to a a PARADOX 7 table.

> At about record 190,000 I get  'Table Full' errors. Disk space is not a
> problem.

> I vaguely remember reading a tip about this some time ago. Can someone
> refresh my memory?

> Pierre

Re:Table Full- Paradox 7

"Pierre du Parte" <p...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

checkout my home page

http://www.iinet.net.au/~brade/delphi.html

or

http://www.iinet.net.au/~brade/

>Hi,
>I need to write more than 200,000 records to a a PARADOX 7 table.
>At about record 190,000 I get  'Table Full' errors. Disk space is not a
>problem.
>I vaguely remember reading a tip about this some time ago. Can someone
>refresh my memory?
>Pierre

Tox
------------
I want to die peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandfather,
 not screaming, terrified, like his passengers.
------------
Visit the home of IconSaveIt. http://www.iinet.com.au/~brade/
Saves Time, Saves Disk Space

Re:Table Full- Paradox 7

It has something to do with block size, I believe what you need to do
is change the bde configuration block size to a larger value then
build a new table and transfer the data accross.

Michael Bliesner
gw...@cet.com

"Pierre du Parte" <p...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>Hi,
>I need to write more than 200,000 records to a a PARADOX 7 table.
>At about record 190,000 I get  'Table Full' errors. Disk space is not a
>problem.
>I vaguely remember reading a tip about this some time ago. Can someone
>refresh my memory?
>Pierre

Re:Table Full- Paradox 7

In article <3336ad9...@news.iea.net>, gw...@cet.com (Michael Bliesner) wrote:
>It has something to do with block size, I believe what you need to do
>is change the bde configuration block size to a larger value then
>build a new table and transfer the data accross.

Yes, you should change the BLOCK SIZE parameter in the DRIVERS sections
in the BDE configuration utility to a larger value.  (This changes your
idapi.cfg file)
Tables from then on will be created with the new block size.  Create a new
table and copy the data across seems to be the solution.

andrew

p.s.
Here is something posted a while back I found helpful:

From: wesjo...@hooked.net (Wes Jones)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.pascal.delphi.databases
Subject: Re: the maximal amount of records in a Paradox table
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 95 16:18:54 GMT

In article <4617ju$...@serv.hinet.net>,
   juli...@pc2.hinet.net (Julian Wang) wrote:

>Just my curiosity......
>could someone tell me how many records can a single Paradox table
>store?

The limit for a Paradox table is the size in bytes, not records. The maximum
size in bytes is somewhere around 2.147 Gig. In addition, the maximum size in
bytes is also determined by the Block Size setting in IDAPI Config.
Block Size * 65,536 = Maximum Table Size in bytes

Block Size      Max table size (bytes)
---------------------------------------
 2,048          134,217,728 (default)
 3,072          201,326,592
.
.
.
32,768        2,147,483,648 (max!)

 EMail: wesjo...@hooked.net
 WWW  : http://www.hooked.net/users/wesjones
 IRC  : BaldBear

>Michael Bliesner
>gw...@cet.com

>"Pierre du Parte" <p...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>>Hi,
>>I need to write more than 200,000 records to a a PARADOX 7 table.

>>At about record 190,000 I get  'Table Full' errors. Disk space is not a
>>problem.

>>I vaguely remember reading a tip about this some time ago. Can someone
>>refresh my memory?

>>Pierre

Re:Table Full- Paradox 7

Michael Bliesner wrote:

> It has something to do with block size, I believe what you need to do
> is change the bde configuration block size to a larger value then
> build a new table and transfer the data accross.

> Michael Bliesner
> gw...@cet.com

> "Pierre du Parte" <p...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

> >Hi,
> >I need to write more than 200,000 records to a a PARADOX 7 table.

> >At about record 190,000 I get  'Table Full' errors. Disk space is not a
> >problem.

> >I vaguely remember reading a tip about this some time ago. Can someone
> >refresh my memory?

> >Pierre

I am in SERIOUS need of a solution to this problem right away (defined
as Within this Weekend). Borland say Paradox limits are 2 billion
records per table or 2 bilion bytes per table -- so why do I get the
error? If I increased the block size -- created a new table that had the
exact same structure and then used BatchMove to move the data over --
would that work? Is there a better way?
 Thanks in advance.
  Mujahid Beg.
  muja...@hypercon.com