ICMP - cannot allocate socket

Hi,

The PingGUI demo in Indy doesn't seem to work correctly on my system. When I
try to ping a host, I get an EIdInvalidSocket exception with the message
"cannot allocate socket".

Can anyone else verify this?

I'm using:
Delphi 5
Indy - indy8_00_23.zip
IndyDelphiDemos80_APR252001.zip
Windows 2000 Pro

The demo was compiled without any changes of any kind.

Thanks,

Dave

Re:ICMP - cannot allocate socket

"DavidC" <dcz...@starband.net> wrote in message news:3b09e090_2@dnews...
> Hi,

> The PingGUI demo in Indy doesn't seem to work correctly on my system. When
> try to ping a host, I get an EIdInvalidSocket exception with the message
> "cannot allocate socket".

> Can anyone else verify this?

> I'm using:
> Delphi 5
> Indy - indy8_00_23.zip
> IndyDelphiDemos80_APR252001.zip
> Windows 2000 Pro

Do you have admin privilegies on this system?
Ping require admin privilegies.

--
Best Regards,
Vladimir Vassiliev

Re:ICMP - cannot allocate socket

Hi,

You were correct. I tried with admin priviledges and it worked fine. Where
is this documented? Why does MS ping.exe work without admin priviledges?

Thanks for the info!

Dave

dcz...@starband.net (DavidC) wrote in <3b0a64c7_1@dnews>:

>You were correct. I tried with admin priviledges and it worked fine. Where
>is this documented? Why does MS ping.exe work without admin priviledges?

Microsoft "Magic". There is a dll to get around this problem, but its been
derpicated.

Also different service packs of NT "break" this.

--
Chad Z. Hower (Kudzu) - http://www.pbe.com/Kudzu/
Current Location: Siberia