Delphi 3 BDE engine version mismatch with Paradox 7

Hi,

I'm using Delphi 3 standard with Paradox 7.
There is something I don't understand about Delphi3 BDE and Paradox 7.
When I create tables from Delphi 3, they are Paradox 5 type.
I'd like these tables to be of Paradox 7 type.
I'm using a TTable component and the CreateTable method.

I've almost every versions of Paradox installed on my computer but why
does it create Paradox 5 tables ? Is it due to Delphi 3 BDE ?
I tried to replace the IDAPI32.DLL file from Paradox 7 to Delphi 3\BDE
but I have a error message saying that it's not the proper engine
interface...
I'm looking forward to have the solution.
Thanx in advance.
        Thomas SENIKIES

Re:Delphi 3 BDE engine version mismatch with Paradox 7

From the Inprise TI at http://www.inprise.com/devsupport/bde/qanda/1824.html

Question:
When I create a Paradox Table in the Database Desktop and request a Paradox
Version 7 table, the request is not honored. How can I work around this?

Answer:
The Database Desktop will create a table with the lowest version that will
handle the tables needs and is declared in the BDE Administrator (IDAPI
Configuration utility) under the Configuration>Drivers>Paradox>Level setting.
To get a Version 7 table in the Database Desktop, simply use a version 7
feature. To permanently change the Paradox Table level for all tables made by
the Database Desktop, go to the BDE Administrator and go to the
Configuration>Drivers>Paradox>Level setting and change it to 7. Example for
changing the level of a Paradox Table in the Database Desktop: Use the
restructure option in Database Desktop to create or modify an index to use
unique or descending attributes.

Sounds like the Table you are creating doesn't use any Level 7 features so it
creates the table at the level needed to accomidate the features you need or
the level set as your default for Paradox tables which ever is higher.  This
section is true not only for the DD but also the CreateTable call.

Also the IDAPI32.dll you copied over was an older version (it's not a good
idea to copy just one bit of the bde).  D3 must have a minium BDE version of
4.0x or else you will get the engine mismatch message.

Jeff Overcash

In article <35E2A7D1.7...@amj-groupe.com>, Thomas <senik...@amj-groupe.com>
wrote:

>Hi,

>I'm using Delphi 3 standard with Paradox 7.
>There is something I don't understand about Delphi3 BDE and Paradox 7.
>When I create tables from Delphi 3, they are Paradox 5 type.
>I'd like these tables to be of Paradox 7 type.
>I'm using a TTable component and the CreateTable method.

>I've almost every versions of Paradox installed on my computer but why
>does it create Paradox 5 tables ? Is it due to Delphi 3 BDE ?
>I tried to replace the IDAPI32.DLL file from Paradox 7 to Delphi 3\BDE
>but I have a error message saying that it's not the proper engine
>interface...
>I'm looking forward to have the solution.
>Thanx in advance.
>        Thomas SENIKIES

Re:Delphi 3 BDE engine version mismatch with Paradox 7

Hi Thomas,
newly created Paradox table level is that entered in the
LEVEL field of Paradox driver BDE configuration
(run BDE configuration programme), _UNLESS_
the table properties (descending indexes, unique
secondary indexs etc) require higher level.
--
Roman
(please remove STOPSPAM. in header)
Thomas wrote in message <35E2A7D1.7...@amj-groupe.com>...
>Hi,

>I'm using Delphi 3 standard with Paradox 7.
>There is something I don't understand about Delphi3 BDE and Paradox 7.
>When I create tables from Delphi 3, they are Paradox 5 type.
>I'd like these tables to be of Paradox 7 type.
>I'm using a TTable component and the CreateTable method.

>I've almost every versions of Paradox installed on my computer but why
>does it create Paradox 5 tables ? Is it due to Delphi 3 BDE ?
>I tried to replace the IDAPI32.DLL file from Paradox 7 to Delphi 3\BDE
>but I have a error message saying that it's not the proper engine
>interface...
>I'm looking forward to have the solution.
>Thanx in advance.
> Thomas SENIKIES

Re:Delphi 3 BDE engine version mismatch with Paradox 7

Change the Table Level setting of the Paradox driver in the BDE
Administrator to 7 and all of your new tables will be Paradox 7 tables.

--
Bill Todd

Thomas schrieb:

> Hi,

> I'm using Delphi 3 standard with Paradox 7.
> There is something I don't understand about Delphi3 BDE and Paradox 7.
> When I create tables from Delphi 3, they are Paradox 5 type.
> I'd like these tables to be of Paradox 7 type.
> I'm using a TTable component and the CreateTable method.

> I've almost every versions of Paradox installed on my computer but why
> does it create Paradox 5 tables ? Is it due to Delphi 3 BDE ?
> I tried to replace the IDAPI32.DLL file from Paradox 7 to Delphi 3\BDE
> but I have a error message saying that it's not the proper engine
> interface...
> I'm looking forward to have the solution.
> Thanx in advance.
>         Thomas SENIKIES

 Why you want to have Paradox- Tables with Level 7. The difference  to
level 5 tables is only the possibility of a descending index. You should
only use level 7 if you need this feature. If you set the property
TableLevel of TTable to 7, maybe TTable will create a Level 7 Table. Read
the help comming with BDE for more.

Ciao Andreas

Other Threads