Delphi4, MS-Access '97 InstallShield, ODBC

Hi,
I developed an application that uses an MS-Access'97 database. I've
established a connenction through the ODBC-driver and everything works fine.
My application and database needs to be installed on several other computers
so I want to use InstallShield to create some floppy's for me. I think that
the alias I create using the installshield is giving me problems (I've tried
several things but my application will not run on other computers). Is there
someone who knows how I can tell InstallShield to create an alias for a
MS-Access '97 database using ODBC for me?
thanks,
Michel

Re:Delphi4, MS-Access '97 InstallShield, ODBC

Have you created the ODBC datasource on the target computers?  If you
create the ODBC datasource, the BDE will automatically create an alias
for you.  I don't think Installshield will create your ODBC datasource
or install ODBC.

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998 20:33:29 +0100, "Michel Winkels"

<mwink...@unity.nl> wrote:
>Hi,
>I developed an application that uses an MS-Access'97 database. I've
>established a connenction through the ODBC-driver and everything works fine.
>My application and database needs to be installed on several other computers
>so I want to use InstallShield to create some floppy's for me. I think that
>the alias I create using the installshield is giving me problems (I've tried
>several things but my application will not run on other computers). Is there
>someone who knows how I can tell InstallShield to create an alias for a
>MS-Access '97 database using ODBC for me?
>thanks,
>Michel

==================================
Ray Porter
Applications Analyst Programmer
Administrative Information Services
Phone: 919-966-5878
Home Page: http://www.unc.edu/~dragon/

"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Re:Delphi4, MS-Access '97 InstallShield, ODBC

If you get an answer for this one I'd love to hear about it - having the
same problem - but I'm not using ODBC I'm using the native driver ..

Regards

Gavin Brown
email gfbr...@ozemail.com.au

Michel Winkels wrote in message <71572l$aj...@news.zeelandnet.nl>...
>Hi,
>I developed an application that uses an MS-Access'97 database. I've
>established a connenction through the ODBC-driver and everything works
fine.
>My application and database needs to be installed on several other
computers
>so I want to use InstallShield to create some floppy's for me. I think that
>the alias I create using the installshield is giving me problems (I've
tried
>several things but my application will not run on other computers). Is
there
>someone who knows how I can tell InstallShield to create an alias for a
>MS-Access '97 database using ODBC for me?
>thanks,
>Michel

Re:Delphi4, MS-Access '97 InstallShield, ODBC

I don't think the Installshield version that comes with Delphi will
create an ODBC datasource for you.  You're probably going to have to
create the odbc datasource on the target machine (or do it
programmatically).  Once that is done, the BDE will pick up the
datasource and create an alias automatically.

On Sun, 8 Nov 1998 15:11:19 +1100, "Gavin Brown"

Ray Porter
Applications Analyst Programmer
Administrative Information Services
Phone: 919-966-5878
Home Page: http://www.unc.edu/~dragon/

"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Other Threads