Medical program in D4

Hi...

        I'm a computer science student in Brazil and my father is a doctor.

        I want to know how is the best way to add clients by date and number
of times in one database!!
        How can I do one historic database???

        Thanks...

Re:Medical program in D4

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998 19:46:47 -0200, "Fabiano Furtado"

<fu...@gold.com.br> wrote:
>Hi...

>        I'm a computer science student in Brazil and my father is a doctor.

>        I want to know how is the best way to add clients by date and number
>of times in one database!!
>        How can I do one historic database???

>        Thanks...

The easiest way to do this, assuming you're using Paradox is as
follows. Within the one database, set up 2 tables. One is for the
patients.  You can have an autoincrement field as the primary index.
In the second table, you would put the visits. They would be linked on
the autoincrement field from the first table. You also include the
date of visit so you can put a secondary index to allow sorting. While
you could theoretically do this in one table, then you'd have to
repeat the patient data. If you want to keep addresses, dates of
birth, etc., it can become wasteful.

Steve F (Team B)

Re:Medical program in D4

>        I want to know how is the best way to add clients by date and number
>of times in one database!!
>        How can I do one historic database???

Create a unique code for each client.   Then you can have a visits table keyed
on Client_code and Date

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@DataGuidance.com

Re:Medical program in D4

Are you sure you're not doing this for an assignment in relational
database technique? Just checking. Anyway, the other responses are
correct. The key to setting up relational data is to limit the data
redundancy. Be wary of using autoincrement fields to use as
identifiers for records such as patient information. If the table
becomes corrupt (especially in Paradox tables), when restructuring and
repairing, many times the autoincrement numbers change which will
destroy your relationship to the secondary tables. The safest method
is to maintain your own identifier key for each record. This limits
the liability of rebuilding tables.

Woody

Fabiano Furtado wrote in message <715epa$bk...@forums.borland.com>...
>Hi...

>        I'm a computer science student in Brazil and my father is a
doctor.

>        I want to know how is the best way to add clients by date and
number
>of times in one database!!
>        How can I do one historic database???

>        Thanks...