Need advice on porting my BDE application to ODBC

I have written a large database application using Delphi table components
connecting to paradox tables.  I have found my users would prefer Access
tables because that's what they are familiar with.  Also, my users are
trying to connect to the paradox tables using Access but run into the BDE
table locks.  So, I need to port this application over to an ODBC compliant
application and need some advise how that might best and most easily be
done.

I have already looked at a 3rd party package call "ODBCExpress".  I am
having a little difficultly updating tables using this package and am
wondering if there are some components in D-6 that will allow be to replace
the existing BDE components with one that will run under ODBC.  I would like
to abandoned BDE altogether.

Re:Need advice on porting my BDE application to ODBC

"Richard Mumma" <T...@URX.COM> wrote in message news:3c3a3c7a_2@dnews...
> I have written a large database application using Delphi table components
> connecting to paradox tables.  I have found my users would prefer Access
> tables because that's what they are familiar with.  Also, my users are
> trying to connect to the paradox tables using Access but run into the BDE
> table locks.  So, I need to port this application over to an ODBC
compliant
> application and need some advise how that might best and most easily be
> done.

> I have already looked at a 3rd party package call "ODBCExpress".  I am
> having a little difficultly updating tables using this package and am
> wondering if there are some components in D-6 that will allow be to
replace
> the existing BDE components with one that will run under ODBC.  I would
like
> to abandoned BDE altogether.

Delphi comes with ADO components (called dbGo in Delphi 6) which are
currently the MS recommended way to connect to either Access/MSDE/SQL
Server. The ADO components do not use the BDE.

--
Wayne Niddery (Logic Fundamentals, Inc.)
Learning Interbase? See

Other Threads