Changing Palette in high color mode

Hello:
  I am wondering how to change the palette in a high color mode such as 32k or
64k colors.  I normally use port[$3c7]-port[$3c9] to play with the palette but
i don't know if this will work in high modes as well.
  Thanks
  Jake Richards
jac...@cs.clemson.edu

Re:Changing Palette in high color mode

In article <4eb89l$...@hubcap.clemson.edu> Jacob A Richards <jacobr> writes:

>Hello:
>  I am wondering how to change the palette in a high color mode such as
>32k or 64k colors.  I normally use port[$3c7]-port[$3c9] to play with the
>palette but i don't know if this will work in high modes as well.

Simply put, you don't.  There is no palette in 32K, 64K, or 16.8M modes.
The memory contains the actual color (bit-mapped) for each pixel.  If you'd
like more info, I recommend you grab a copy of the VESA VBE 1.2
specification (2.0 is out in draft, but it's very lacking).

If you don't know where to find it, e-mail me and I'll send you a copy.

--
Scott F. Earnest / sc...@whiplash.res.cmu.edu | GO STEELERS!
Pascal Nut / Die-hard STEELERS Fan!           | '95-'96 NFL CHAMPIONS!  ;-)

Jacob A Richards wrote:

> Hello:
>I am wondering how to change the palette in a high color mode ...

You can't do it 'cause there is NO any palette in high-color (including
true-color modes).  Values are stored directly (either 2-byte for 32K or
64K or 3-byte for 16M color mode).
   If you still doubt, just imagine 32x32-pixel true-color BMP-file with
16 meg header ;-D

Regards,
        Serge

Jacob A Richards wrote:

> Hello:
>I am wondering how to change the palette in a high color mode ...

You can't do it 'cause there is NO any palette in high-color (including
true-color modes).  Values are stored directly (either 2-byte for 32K or
64K or 3-byte for 16M color mode).
   If you still doubt, just imagine 32x32-pixel true-color BMP-file with
16 meg header ;-D

Regards,
        Serge

Other Threads